Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Bad Pagan Sites?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyWinter View Post
    That site aside, do you consider Discordians and Subgeni p a g a ns?
    What are Discordians or Subgeni? So far the only ones I've seen claim that label are just trolls, though I'm sure there's more to it then that?
    Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Sir, I believe Mandoon is dry humping the pagan.
    So Atheists arent p a g a n?

Winter
    Why would Atheists be Pa gan? And let's go beyond the dictionary term because there are a few different ones floating around.
    ~NITEFALLE~
    Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
    Always in search of, and one step in back of,
    Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
    ~Willie Nelson~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That site aside, do you consider Discordians and Subgeni p a g a ns?

Just curious on your thoughts

WInter
    Yeah, no problem. One of my wife's good friends is a discordian (she introduced him to that path). I like discordianism and subgeniism in general. I just happen not to like certain specific individuals who identify themselves with those paths.

So Atheists arent p a g a n?

Winter
    No... they are atheists.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

If we're looking at the list of Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or Pagan, atheists are "none of the above."

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Not to hijack the thread, but out of curiosity, why are people writing "P a g a n" and "Pa gan"? Are there firewall issues?
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Windsmith View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but out of curiosity, why are people writing "P a g a n" and "Pa gan"? Are there firewall issues?
    It might be because we're using the MW@home skin to display the board. It changes the word 'pagan' into 'people' on purpose.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

Quote Originally Posted by Xentor View Post
    It might be because we're using the MW@home skin to display the board. It changes the word 'pagan' into 'people' on purpose.
    Oh, right! I'd forgotten that. I tried using that skin for a while and gave it up for that reason - I could never tell when people meant "people," and when they meant "Pagan" and the system had swapped it out. I got very confused.

Thanks, Xentor.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    Here is a very good link that explains this issue well:

Is Satanism "Pagan"?
    Thanks for the link.
    So this is a very good example of a "Good Pagan Site".

Are Satanists "Pagan" in the sense of being naturally a part of the "Pagan community"? Some of us are, but many of us probably are not. Even if there weren't so much Pagan hostility toward Satanists, many Satanists still would probably not fit in very well with the Pagan community. which espouses some specific beliefs and values that are different from the beliefs and values espoused by most Satanists (though there is more overlap than most Pagans are willing to acknowledge). For example, many Satanists don't revere "Nature" in quite the same way that many Pagans do. There do exist quite a few Satanists who do revere "Nature", but who think of "Nature" in harsher terms than most Pagans do. Also, many Satanists don't find the typical Pagan public ritual to be very congenial.
    I think that paragraph right there sums up the argument nicely. Not only do Satanists NOT consider themselves Pagan, they do not fit in to the community at large.

Great reference by the way, thanks for posting it!
    I think long signatures are a waste of bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLili View Post
    I beg your pardon - this "we" you speak of, are you speaking for me as well? Because I am also a Pagan. I follow no reconstruction of any path, with no clear lineage or tradition, and am just as much a Witch as my grandmothers before me. I worship no separate deities, and claim no specific affiliation. By your definition, this would make me an Atheist? I find your logic in this statement to be a very large assumption. You may have it in your head who "counts" as Pagan and who doesn't, but the fact of the matter is, as an umbrella term, anyone who feels like using that as their label is just as justified in using it as anyone else.

Says who? What's your source? Who is it you think I should be deferring to in this instance, if not trusting in my own intellect?
    ours.
    The brain fog has lifted. I was wrong in my original post, the year was not 1972, it was 1974. The American Council of Witches formed the Principles of the Wiccan Belief, which at the time included Neo-Paganism.

While the majority of the members here on MW are not old enough to remember 1974, at that time there were just Wiccans and Heathens. The ide of a pagan without a faith or coven or grove was unheard of and in fact violated the philosophy behind the founding Mothers and Fathers of Wicca and eventually Neo-Paganism.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_stat1.htm

These principles were the stepping stones to meeting court tests for religion, which lead us to our present federally protected Neo-Pagan religions.

So, yes, there are guidelines, yes they are well established and yes they are used to define the Neo-Pagan Religion and provide the bedrock required to be recognized as a federally protected religion.

To those who claim that the Principles do not apply to their belief due to the fact that it is Wiccan in nature should examine their faith closely. Unless the claimant derives from Fornseidhr, all variations of Neo-Paganism, Paganism, Witchcraft, Wicca, Asatru, Vanatru, Theodism, derive from the works of Gerald Gardner and his ilk. That places all of Paganism emerging or re-emerging in circa 1950-1960.

For those of us who were brought up in the faith, and can trace our lineage back to pre-1899 (I know there are several of us here on MW as we have conversed over the years), these Principles give us the protection our Grandparents and Great-Grandparents never had. The recognition that our faith is protected now should be a testament to the beliefs our families have taught us and passed down through the generations.

Side Note: Shamanwise and I are having a debate on wether Paganism existed in any form prior to the work Gardner did in the 1950's. I say there was no Pagan practices prior to 1950 and that Neo-Paganism as it stands today is the result of Gardner's work. (This does not include the works completed under the Aradia PRoject and the 1899 discovery of the Stregha Coven in Italy - that is purely witchcraft and not pagan or neo-pagan).

Shamanwise says maybe - maybe not. Gardner may not have had the "all" impact on Paganism.

Tell us what you think........
    I think long signatures are a waste of bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachWitch View Post
    Side Note: Shamanwise and I are having a debate on wether Paganism existed in any form prior to the work Gardner did in the 1950's. I say there was no Pagan practices prior to 1950 and that Neo-Paganism as it stands today is the result of Gardner's work. (This does not include the works completed under the Aradia PRoject and the 1899 discovery of the Stregha Coven in Italy - that is purely witchcraft and not pagan or neo-pagan).

Shamanwise says maybe - maybe not. Gardner may not have had the "all" impact on Paganism.

Tell us what you think........
    Could you provide a link to that thread if it exists? I'd like to participate in it (as I'd like to respectfully disagree with some of the things you stated in your post just now about modern Pagan history... and I'll happily provide citations of sources.)

If it was a discussion you were having in email or offline, then perhaps you could start a thread here on MysticWicks for this interesting historical discussion. It could go in the History section, or in the Just Pagan section, or in one or another of the Paths sections.

We should probably try and keep this particular thread more on the topic of bad Pagan sites though.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast