Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Us...Evolving Into...Aliens?

Isn't more we are becoming machines, like the borg?

Will we change? Sure. But by the time evolution found a way to change us succesfully (millennia), we'll have seriously changed the way we use technology (decades). So no, not going to happen this way.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

is offline having an out of mind experience
    If we do become more like the 'aliens' it won't happen that way. Evolution works by genetic mutation, and nature keeps what works. What doesn't simply dies out. Life doesn't change merely because the circumstances change, otherwise so many species wouldn't be becoming extinct.
    Whether we name divine presence synchronicity, serendipity, or graced moment matters little.
    What matters is the reality that our hearts have been understood.
    Nothing is as real as a healthy dose of magic which restores our spirits.
    - Nancy Long

Sorry, it is a cool idea but biological evolution doesn't work that way :-/ What you're describing is Lamarkian. Individuals do not evolve, populations do. We don't accumulate changes based on our environment and pass them on to our offspring, rather random mutation produces variability in the DNA sequence of individuals, which is sometimes translated into physical variability. Those individuals that survive best in a particular environment, live to reproduce more and have a chance of passing on that particular gene combination that made them succeed in the first place.

This requires that the mutation helps the individual have more children and thereby get their genes into the next generation. I don't think that any of the changes you mentioned would help an individual have more children so it is unlikely that if a mutation that produced these changes did crop up it would result in an increase in individual fitness.

Also, the changes you mentioned are physical changes, rather, changes based on how an individual lives, these are called non-genetically based phenotypic traits and are not capable of being inherited. You would have to have a genetic mutation in the individual that caused them to be weaker etc... for it to be inherited. This mutation would occur in the sperm or egg that joined to create the individual, not in some random cell in their adult body.

Still, it is an interesting idea!
    Libris

"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." ~Theodore Rubin

us into aliens?

though i hope its not true, i have come up with a similar theory myself, that aliens are us from the future. think about it, they're technology is far more advanced than ours, meaning they must have been around much longer than us, traveling through space is also like traveling through time, so if they are comming from another dimension to present day earth, maybe where they are comming from IS earth, in a different time zone. interesting huh?

It's a cool sci-fi idea, but plausibly and biologically, it's just not going to happen. Yes, we're definitely evolving, that's just the nature of things, but we've been consistently getting taller and stronger as a species, not smaller and weaker.

Not to mention that whatever gene or instinct that makes up the "human condition" wouldn't allow for us to sequester ourselves in such a way. No matter how technologically advanced we become. Without social interaction on a person-to-person level, our brains deteriorate, we become depressed and can even become quite a danger to ourselves and those around us. Hardly sounds like being capable of being able to conquer long-term space travel.

As others have said, there are simply too many people in the world who would pass on a caretaker attitude towards the outside world, not to mention overcompensating with rigorous exercise/activity/non-technological hobbies as a way to make up for how much time is spend on/with technology.
    Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
    "Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapoo, noohkohka'pssi kiistinoonnitsitapii"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:
    Dividing by Zero: Hanging out with God(desse)s

Quote Originally Posted by jacqualine1222 View Post
    though i hope its not true, i have come up with a similar theory myself, that aliens are us from the future. think about it, they're technology is far more advanced than ours, meaning they must have been around much longer than us, traveling through space is also like traveling through time, so if they are comming from another dimension to present day earth, maybe where they are comming from IS earth, in a different time zone. interesting huh?
    Traveling through space, though, won't necessarily result in traveling through time. If long-distance space travel is to be achieved we need to figure out how to create and use rotating black holes (the sci-fi concept of a "worm hole") and the vehicle we're in needs to travel only slightly slower than the speed of light and be able to hold together.

It's not a 100% impossible idea that you have, but it's completely implausible and probably better suited to fiction than for serious discourse about the subject if only because there are a myriad of other theories that don't require such a stretch of the imagination in terms of physics, biology, technology and evolution. Also, one would have to assume that this species, if it was indeed humans from the future, would be so much further removed than we are from say, the first single celled organism on the planet, that it wouldn't be proper for us to even be called the same species. This is also assuming that our species is going to survive the next X-octillion years or however long, which I believe is highly unlikely.
    Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
    "Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapoo, noohkohka'pssi kiistinoonnitsitapii"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:
    Dividing by Zero: Hanging out with God(desse)s

The I have been taught and noticed myself, is that we are really the only species on this Earth that, to this day, cannot agree on our origins. Did we evolove from ape like beings? Did we start off with two people, Adam and Eve? Did we originate fromthe oceans organisms like other animals?
    or perhaps were we placed here by aliens and are , actually, aliens ourselves from the start. If you look at the age of the Earth and the prehistoric times we began noticing human life, we really have only existed a tiny fraction of the Earths age. Adn look at how we have utilized the Earth and have advanced as a species. We don't even know what we are doing with the Earth no do we understand it in such a way to live and take care of it properly. Plus all the evidence of references to U.F.O's in ancient art and texts.
    I believe, myself, that we are teh aliens and always have been. On another note, I don't neccessarily believe every human race is from another planet. Not being racist, but I think there are certain races that did originate here on Earth. I think they are the many aboriginals in the many continents. They are the ones that seem to "get" Earth the most. Some of us may have learned a thing or two and learned to become in tune.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyMoon View Post
    I have no idea if this is the correct forum. If it is not, I do apologise.

A friend of mine recently presented a very interesting concept/theory. She says that she has often thought that perhaps we are evolving into aliens as we imagine/know them on film, art and other works.

She notes that we are becoming less and less physical in our daily lives and more and more dependent on computers and machinery. She stated that we would develop large heads to contain our much-needed larger brains.
    This is where the theory falls apart. The idea of larger brains assumes the people are getting smarter as they get more technology. The reality is people are getting stupider because they are using their brains less and the computers more. People do not memorize phone numbers when their phone has a memory to store the numbers. They do not memorize as much information because their computer remembers it for them. So if anything, human brains will get smaller as they get more dependent on technology.
    Brought to you by the
    National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
    Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
    Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
    You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
    It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
    I am aware of how nasty I come across.
    If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
    I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Mater View Post
    This is where the theory falls apart. The idea of larger brains assumes the people are getting smarter as they get more technology. The reality is people are getting stupider because they are using their brains less and the computers more. People do not memorize phone numbers when their phone has a memory to store the numbers. They do not memorize as much information because their computer remembers it for them. So if anything, human brains will get smaller as they get more dependent on technology.
    A thought just popped into my head. It's probably flawed but I thought I'd put it out there. I know that the idea of humans becoming less intelligent because of technology is widely accepted, but is it possible that while technology is making our lives easier in some ways, making memorizing or thinking less necessary, in other ways it makes it more necessary? Kind of like you trade one thing and get another. Instead of memorizing phone numbers we memorize html, we navigate (to my mind) complicated cell phones and computers. Not to mention the huge amount of information that we have access to. Not all of it being good or truthful information, we have to spend a lot of time thinking logically about said information, researching it and discussing it with other human beings. Maybe it isn't that we're becoming stupid, maybe we're just becoming thinner, if you catch my meaning?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast