Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A gravestone in a Salt Lake City cemetery is the focus of a curious mystery

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey

A gravestone in a Salt Lake City cemetery is the focus of a curious mystery

A gravestone in a Salt Lake City cemetery is the focus of a curious mystery

IN A NONDESCRIPT section of the Salt Lake City Cemetery lies a small gravestone that bears an inscription so unusual that it has for years aroused curiosity, rumor, speculation – even fear – within those who have encountered it. While surrounding grave markers are inscribed with such common inscriptions as “devoted mother,” “beloved husband” or simply “in loving memory,” the gravestone of Lily E. Gray is inscribed with the mysterious and highly provocative phrase: “Victim of the Beast 666.”
    This is an allusion, of course, to the New Testament’s Book of Revelation, 13th chapter, which has been interpreted to refer to the Antichrist:

"And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon....

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred threescore and six [666]."

“The Beast” and “666” have henceforth become synonymous with Satan and the Antichrist.
    From here.

I've never heard of this before. Has anybody else?
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

is offline Death Is The Next Great Adventure
    Maybe she was pagan and the stupid mormons couldn't think of her as anything but evil and associated with the devil. Mormons are dumb like that.

I think it's likely that she either died at the hands of someone too powerful for the family to strike out at / untouchable by law enforcement and so they considered the killer the beast, 666, just as kind of a personal insult or perhaps she died of unexplained causes and that was their way of looking at it.
    When the stars shine bright through the engine's trail
    And the dust of another world drops behind
    When my ship is free of the open sky
    That's a damn good day to my way of mind

There's a barren planet you never can leave
    There's a rocky valley where we lost a war
    There's a cross once hung round a soldier's neck
    There's a man's faith died on Serenity's floor

But I stood my ground and I'll fly once more
    It's the last oath that I ever swore
    - Mal's song by Michelle Dockrey and Joss

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    I think it's likely that she either died at the hands of someone too powerful for the family to strike out at / untouchable by law enforcement and so they considered the killer the beast, 666, just as kind of a personal insult or perhaps she died of unexplained causes and that was their way of looking at it.
    Shadowcatx is probaly right.. i dont know the real story though.. and I have seen that headstone.. its one of the "darkest's" favorite hang out , personally seeing it once in the daytime was enough for me
    Being powerful is like being a lady If you have to tell people you are, you aren't

Advanced Paganism, Meditation
    and Books Forum Guide
    and also a writer for MW Magazine

Serenity is not freedom from the storm..it is peace during the storm

:fpraise: many thanks to Patriciaj for great banner

Its your life..live it as you like

myspace.com/Mydnitejazmine

my covens site
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archaic_silvermoon/

I love that cemetary. I have not seen that gravestone, nor heard of it before. Maybe next time I'm wandering around I'll look for it.

It is curious that there has been no explanation found that would give any reason for the inscription. Lily appeared to have died of natural causes at an old age. Perhaps just the concept of death in and of itself was considered evil to her.

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    This is definitely an interesting topic to discuss. I wonder what really occured to this poor woman.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

The paranormal Utah group are investigating this, according to this post:
    We are currently doing some research on Lily Edith Gray. She is buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery and has one of the most well known headstones in Utah folklore. Below her dates of birth and death, 1881-1958, is an inscription “Victim of the beast 666". There is very little known information about her, however she was fairly new to the Salt Lake area, married, and died in an area hospital of “natural causes”. Her husband outlived her by several years and is buried on the opposite side of the cemetery. I hope to soon have some more insight into this Utah enigma.
    So her husband most likely chose the inscription. Maybe he was some sort of religious nut who thought her death was caused by demons, or something. But why did he choose to be buried in another part of the cemetary? The mystery deepens.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oakleaf Circle - Pagan Resources in the UK
    Astrology!

Very interesting. According to this site:
    http://paranormalusa.org/index.php?o...&id=7&Itemid=2
    some of the info on the marker is incorrect (name spelling and birth date),
    and the husband died on Halloween, 1964. Curious.

"Home is behind, the world ahead,
    And there are many paths to tread
    Through shadows to the edge of night,
    Until the stars are all alight."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

It would be interesting to see which of the natrual causes she died of. It may shed some light on the whole matter.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

is offline Death Is The Next Great Adventure
    I wonder if anyone is reserching "the witches" grave here in sunny St. George Utah. Sorry I know it is sorta off topic but I have to tell u all about this other grave in utah (as if u guys really care but too bad ur gonna hear about it anyways!) Any whoo... Here is St. George (the bigish city in southern utah) there is a grave that everyone refers to as "the witches grave" The grave is in the older section of the main city cemetary. It looks like a globe on a pedastle (if I remember correctly Its been years since I was there) Any ways the inscription on the stone says "Not Dead, Just Sleeping" wich sounds like a tragic denile from a former loved one or (as many people choose to beleive) a creepy warning.... Dun Dun Dun!!!... No really it is really there. If any of u are accually interested tell me and I will go take a picture of it k?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast