• Aztecs

2 1.61%
  • Mayans

2 1.61%
  • Incans

1 0.81%
  • Olmec and/or Toltec

0 0%
  • Native American (particular Tribe or in general)

3 2.42%
  • Babylonian

3 2.42%
  • Sumerian

4 3.23%
  • Akkadian

1 0.81%
  • Indus Valley (Mohenjo-Daro, Harappa)

0 0%
  • Ancient Egypt

22 17.74%
  • Greece

12 9.68%
  • Rome

16 12.90%
  • Etruscan

1 0.81%
  • Phoenician

0 0%
  • Persian

2 1.61%
  • Minoan and/or Mycenean

3 2.42%
  • Ancient Japan

0 0%
  • Ancient China

2 1.61%
  • Byzantine

3 2.42%
  • Ottoman

0 0%
  • Norse and/or Vikings

9 7.26%
  • Celtic

22 17.74%
  • Legendary: Avalon, Atlantis, etc

6 4.84%
  • Carthage

0 0%
  • Catal Huyuk

1 0.81%
  • Ancient Israel, Hebrew, etc

1 0.81%
  • Nubian

0 0%
  • Other (I probably missed some, )

7 5.65%
  • None

1 0.81%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Ancient Civilization/Empire

It's hard to choose, I really love the Sumerians, Babylonian and Assyrian empire/civilization (and am learning as much as I can about them), but I also love learning about the Aztec, Mayan and Incan cultures (there's actually a book on Mayan art that I'm going to get out of my uni library once I've finished my essays), and I've always loved ancient Greece and Rome, Egypt and also the Norse societies and Canaanite, so I like learning about a lot of ancient cultures.

I chose Ancient Egypt because I love it.

But I'm also fascinated by the Sumerian, Babylonian, Assyrian, Greece, Rome, Ancient Japan, Norse/Vikings, Ancient Israel/Hebrew/Canaanite, Atlantis, Siberia, Finno-Ugrians/Chuds/Estonians, Persian, Trojan.
    Last edited by WarriorZhanna; May 16th, 2008 at 09:32 AM.

What an awesome thread!!I am happy that many people choose Greece as their favourite.*proud*

I voted for "Legendary:Avalon,Atlantis" as these are the ones that fascinate me the most!However,i do love very much Greece,Ancient Japan and China,Celtic in general,Native American,Ancient Egypt,Norse/Vikings.

The Byzantine has always been my least favourite for some reason,with some exceptions. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it is so irrevocably connected to Christianity.And of course i am not fan of the Ottoman,it thrived on our loss.

Oh, the summer time is coming,
    And the trees are blooming,
    And the wild mountain thyme
    Grows around the blooming heather.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sky- View Post
    The Byzantine has always been my least favourite for some reason,with some exceptions. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it is so irrevocably connected to Christianity.And of course i am not fan of the Ottoman,it thrived on our loss.
    Yeah, the Byzantine was always my least favourite too. Every time we had to study it at school I got bored, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorZhanna View Post
    Yeah, the Byzantine was always my least favourite too. Every time we had to study it at school I got bored, lol.
    Tell me about it!!O_O And in our school,we had to study it a lot obviously because of the geography and it including Greece.Unfortunately it will haunt me for many more years since next semester i will have Byzantine History and even Byzantine Language.blah Maybe i will find its charm if i study it??I don't know!

Oh, the summer time is coming,
    And the trees are blooming,
    And the wild mountain thyme
    Grows around the blooming heather.

Either Norse/Vikings (Germanic in general) or Atlantis. I can not choose between these two. And I like Ancient Egypt aswell. So that make three

This was really hard for me! One of my favorite subject during highschool was the Ancient History class I took in 9th grade, where I learned a lot about Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, Indus Valley, Ancient China and Greece (we didn't have time to get to Rome, which was completely ok with me!). I was also really interested in the ancient Americas as a child. But my favorites are Celtic, Byzantine and Persian.

I ended up choosing Byzantine because I figured it had less votes than Celtic, and it's really been an obsession of mine as of late. I've loved Byzantine chant for several years now, and after studying Eastern Orthodoxy this past term for my comparative religions class, I've come to see what a truly beautiful religion it is, even if I don't fully agree with its theology. I love modern day Turkey as well. Istanbul is one of the places I want to visit the most (right after Ireland and Russia), mostly to see Hagia Sophia, which I think is one of the most beautiful pieces of architecture ever built!
    Three things that constitute a harper: a tune to make you cry, a tune to make you laugh, a tune to put you to sleep. ~Irish triad

I put other because I'm fascinated by more than a few. Egypt, Mesopotamia, Babylon, Hittites, Rome, Greece, Indus Valley, Celtic, Asiatic...the list goes on. Mainly I like to try and see how one civilization influenced or evolved into another and how knowledge from one or more cultures influenced and evolved into another. The spread of human civilization is fascinating and the differences and similarities are just curious enough to keep me coming back for more.

"Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." --Mark Twain

If having a deep disdain for entertaining the cerebrally challenged in politics makes one a bigot than the Queen Bigot am I.

If you search for the laws of harmony, you will find knowledge
    ~temple wall in Luxor~

I've always loved Ancient Egypt....so mysterious and other worldly.

Others:

Greece
    Rome
    Celtic

They have all fascinated me since I was a child. Having visited both Rome & Greece, I fell in love with both all over again. Celtic...well, being a Brit, that should be obvious as to why.

Now, as for Empire...that would be only one for me:

British.:hehehehe:

THE GREAT LORD ANUBIS

Please help my babies! Clickie please?! Thank you! Or clickie the link!

http://dragcave.net/user/LadyAnubis

The Church of St. Looney up the Cream Bun and Jam
    I chose the Celts, my own proud people! (I should also mention that the Tain is the gnarliest mythological epic EVER.) I'm also interested in other "barbarian" cultures - the Visigoths, Ostrogoths, Gauls, etc.

However, the Egyptians, Etruscans, ancient Chinese, and the Meso-American cultures are also pretty groovy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~ ~ ~

Feed my little Valenths, please!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast