Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61

Thread: The Genealogical Researchers Desk

How long have you been working on your genealogy?
    About two years on my own, off and on.

How big is your tree?
    So far, it's a horrible clusterf**k of stacks of papers, so I honestly don't know haha.

Where do you conduct your research? i.e. online, libraries, traveling to each destination
    My uncle on my dad's side has gone around to different destinations and I've been to our family plot in Pennsylvania but mostly I do research in libraries and spend waaay too much time with the microfiche.

What frustrates you about genealogy?
    Dead ends. There are some things I'll just never know about my family.

Where so far does your family hail from?
    On my dad's side, my grandma's mom's family we know are from Gabon, Africa but we don't know exactly where since family records only really start after the slaves were freed in America (so we haven't really got any information from before the Civil War). She was mixed with Blackfoot (Southern Piegan), but we can only trace it back to the 1800s as well. My grandma's dad was a gangster in the 30s and was shot and killed when my grandma was 13 (there was a knock at the door and when he opened it, someone shot him) so we know nothing about him at all except that he was black.

On my paternal grandpa's side, they're Pennsylvania Dutch, German and French from his mother and from his father, black and some manner of Native American (he was found wandering around the woods of Alberta Canada when he was 9 with trauma induced amnesia and was adopted into a white Unitarian family which is where we get our last name. He spoke English, French, Cree and Blackfoot which wasn't uncommon for the time when one had mixed children, they were often interpreters. His whole life he never remembered who he was or where he was from and it never seemed to bother him, so we'll never know. We think he was probably black, French Canadian and Cree or Blackfoot [could be Northern Piegan, Kainai, or Siksika] probably both).

On my maternal grandma's dad's side, we're Irish, originally from County Mayo and then from Killarney, County Kerry. He came to America in the 20s and that's all we know. There are a TON of Kearns' in County Mayo as that's where the name originates, though it isn't a common Irish surname (it is in County Mayo, though) so there isn't much to go on and my g-grandpa never spoke much about his life back there as he was trying to escape it. His father sold him to the neighbors for beer and the neighbors used to keep in in a potato silo for weeks at a time when they weren't overworking him. We don't even know his parent's names, honestly, he'd never told us.

My grandma's mother was French Canadian and Northern Piegan (which is a band of Blackfoot in Canada - my family on both sides apparently loves the Blackfoot haha).

My paternal grandpa's mom, my nana, was Southern Piegan Blackfoot. His dad was Southern Piegan Blackfoot and English/French Canadian.

What surname line or royal connections/dynasty are you currently working on?
    Sadly, I think I've done about as much as can be done in my family. I do know that I'm related to Duke Ellington though. He was my paternal grandma's 2nd cousin. Also, my dad is part of military history, being the first Afromerican MCPOCG (and at the time he got the job, he was also the youngest).

What do you feel you've gained from learning about your family history, how important is it in your life?
    I've always been of the school that you can't know where you're going unless you know where you've come from. I'm also an active practitioner of Ancestor veneration (which is not the same as Ancestor worship, to be clear).

Are you currently or are you considering making genealocial research a career?
    Nope. I'm working on an Anthropology degree though.

Do you belong to any genealogical or historical societies or organizations?
    If you can call the Blackfoot Confederacy a "historical society" then yeah lol

How often do you take breaks from your research? We all know it can make us nuts without breaks. Can you tell when you need a break?
    I'm on indefinite research hiatus at the moment =D
    Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
    "Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapoo, noohkohka'pssi kiistinoonnitsitapii"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:
    Dividing by Zero: Hanging out with God(desse)s

Quote Originally Posted by Xander67 View Post
    You can work around not haveing the census, I can do a search for you if you like, most town libraries have copies of local directories dating back to 1890.

churches have been publishing their records of vital stats and geneaology in the world Ancestry project...

I Have seen the 1940 sensus floating around, not the federal one, but native americal tribal rolls, and tax lists, also land information is out there too..
    No, I actually need the 1940 census. You see, the adopted ancestor was my paternal grandfather who happened (lucky for me) to be born in 1940. I have a copy of his original birth certificate, so I know his parents' names and birthplaces. Silly thing doesn't tell me his mother's maiden name. It just has Clifton H. and Theresa E. Lastname. Now, I have found them (I believe) in a city directory for 1940, but as Clifton and Elizabeth T. I even went on Googlemaps and found their house. It did take me a while to learn that fetywkr meant "factory worker."
    I can't find their marriage info to save my life though. I think I've found Clifton in the 1930 and 1920 censuses, but as he isn't the only one with that name I can't be absolutely certain. The 1940 census was taken on April 1, 1940. My grandfather as born before then and thus, quite possibly on the census. (I have no earthly idea when he was adopted.) In any case, I have his parents names and that should be enough. I want to use the 40 census to compare info with the 1930 and 1920 censuses.

blank 1940 census = http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/ce...m-fillable.pdf
    Oooh, this one seems to be a wealth of info. *WANTS* C'mooooon 2012. Forget the Mayan end-of-the-world. I want the 1940 census.

Freedom of speech means not only the freedom to say what you want, but letting others have the freedom to say what they want, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

Just a quick note for those who don't subscribe to ancestry.com-in honor of Veteran's Day, ancestry is offering access to military records for free through this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Élistariel View Post
    No, I actually need the 1940 census. You see, the adopted ancestor was my paternal grandfather who happened (lucky for me) to be born in 1940. I have a copy of his original birth certificate, so I know his parents' names and birthplaces. Silly thing doesn't tell me his mother's maiden name. It just has Clifton H. and Theresa E. Lastname. Now, I have found them (I believe) in a city directory for 1940, but as Clifton and Elizabeth T. I even went on Googlemaps and found their house. It did take me a while to learn that fetywkr meant "factory worker."
    I can't find their marriage info to save my life though. I think I've found Clifton in the 1930 and 1920 censuses, but as he isn't the only one with that name I can't be absolutely certain. The 1940 census was taken on April 1, 1940. My grandfather as born before then and thus, quite possibly on the census. (I have no earthly idea when he was adopted.) In any case, I have his parents names and that should be enough. I want to use the 40 census to compare info with the 1930 and 1920 censuses.

blank 1940 census = http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/ce...m-fillable.pdf
    Oooh, this one seems to be a wealth of info. *WANTS* C'mooooon 2012. Forget the Mayan end-of-the-world. I want the 1940 census.
    The 1940 census wont be released until April 12, 2012 - the government has a 72 year waiting period before making census records available to the public for reasons of privacy, 72 being the normal life expectancy so anyone living in 1940 is assumed to already be dead by 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch Cantrip View Post
    The 1940 census wont be released until April 12, 2012 - the government has a 72 year waiting period before making census records available to the public for reasons of privacy, 72 being the normal life expectancy so anyone living in 1940 is assumed to already be dead by 2012.
    I know when it comes out, April 2, 2012 actually. The 1940 census was taken on April 1, 1940. April 1, 2012 will fall on a Sunday, so we're going to have to wait an extra day for this one.

https://ask.census.gov/cgi-bin/askce...ZwX3BhZ2U9MQ!!

Freedom of speech means not only the freedom to say what you want, but letting others have the freedom to say what they want, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

Located living persons who are descended from my Scottish line.Seems the brother's sons migrated to Wisconsin and owned a summer resort lodge.The lodge is no longer owned by the family, but they still own a steak house that is wildly popular there.Found them in the local county history which gave the names of the parents.Note to self-never ignore the local history books.Sometimes you get lucky and find what you need!

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61