Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: The Genealogical Researchers Desk

They are my brothers. It probably happened like over 20 years ago. I dont know how I would get permission to get them since they are half brothers through my father.
    Possibly these could help....

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...e-records.html

http://www.cyndislist.com/military.htm

I can do some more looking around for you if you like but recent records will probably be very hard or impossible to get. Are your brothers deceased? That's about the only way you may be able to get any information. I know I would not want just anyone getting ahold of my records or DD Form 214 if I'm still alive and they didn't come to me first. I'd be suing.
    Last edited by Haerfest Leah; April 7th, 2007 at 06:57 PM.

Galena looked up death records under the possible last names we have and there was nothing. The problem is in California Marriage/Divorce records arent online. Since their Mother and our father got married in Reno Nevada we got a marriage certificate for them. If we got a divorce on them and then were able to track her marriage to the next husband I could find out who he was to use his last name for them. But because I dont know who he was I cant track them. I know their mother eventually divorced the man that supposedly adopted them I tried searching for them under her maiden name (I ended up with my Mothers maiden name after her divorce) but found the names to be way to common. My grandmother thinks there is an out of state move at some point but I remember them moving to southern California. I just need to find out the name of the man she ended up marrying and I would be good. But the only name that came up was a marrieage with her maiden name before the youngest boy was born and through his birth records I know the area and believe she was still with my dad at that time. Am I ramebling out of frustration or does this make any sence?

I dont know that they are in the militart it is just a feeling I have since they are of the right age- 25 and 22. But I cant even request the 214 form with out a valid last name. UUGGGHHH
    Please click the banner to check out my Jewelry on ArtFire!

Visha'sMommy,

I've sent you a PM.

How long have you been working on your genealogy? Since January 2005

How big is your tree? There's 1547 people in it so far

Where do you conduct your research? Online

What frustrates you about genealogy? Reaching a point and not being able to go any further

Where so far does your family hail from? England

What surname line or royal connections/dynasty are you currently working on? I'm all over the place at present

What do you feel you've gained from learning about your family history, how important is it in your life? I like knowing where I came from

Are you currently or are you considering making genealocial research a career? No

Do you belong to any genealogical or historical societies or organizations? Not exactly. Although I do have a membership for genesreunited.co.uk

How often do you take breaks from your research? We all know it can make us nuts without breaks. Can you tell when you need a break? Every once in a while

My Author Page
    That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always.

How long have you been working on your genealogy?
    Here and there for a couple of years now

How big is your tree?
    Not that big.

Where do you conduct your research?
    Talking to family members and online.

What frustrates you about genealogy?
    It's difficult to get info on my fathers side because I don't speak to him and his parents died when he was a child.

Where so far does your family hail from?

Mother's side: Italy and Ireland

Father's side: Ireland and Cape Verde (yes that makes me all exotic and stuff lol)

What surname line or royal connections/dynasty are you currently working on?
    I am trying to find out more about my fathers side, particularly the Cape Verdian aspect of my geneology.

What do you feel you've gained from learning about your family history, how important is it in your life?
    It's just really nice to have a sense of history about yourself and to know where you came from.

Are you currently or are you considering making genealocial research a career?
    No

Do you belong to any genealogical or historical societies or organizations?
    No

How often do you take breaks from your research? We all know it can make us nuts without breaks. Can you tell when you need a break?

I have to admit that I don't research as much as I would like to begin with.

is offline Letting inspiration take potshots at me

On and off for the past couple of years

How big is your tree?

Right now 3,283 people and still adding more!

Where do you conduct your research? i.e. online, libraries, traveling to each destination

The lack of solid information in some cases. The false leads and brick walls you run into. The lack of info on my mom's side but I have more now than I thought I'd ever have so I'm not discouraged yet!

England, Ireland, Germany,Canada, Scotland and Native American Cherokee for certain. Possibly Wales, France and Holland.

I'm working several surnames

What do you feel you've gained from learning about your family history, how important is it in your life?

I love finding where the numerous branches of my family came from. It gives me a sense of history and a feeling of roots. Imagining how some of them met, what it was like for their lives many years ago. It's very important to me, more so than other members of my family because I've never been close to them at all.

I'm disabled so I guess you could say this is my current career. :D Seriously though, I never thought about making it a real career.

Did have a subscription to ancestry.com, it's up tomorrow. It's been helpful with many things but rootsweb.com has been a great source too along with other sites I've found along the way.

How often do you take breaks from your research? We all know it can make us nuts without breaks. Can you tell when you need a break?

I take several breaks a day. I'll just read my book or watch tv. When I find myself growling and yelling at the computer because I'm not getting any info or the wrong info, it's time to stop for a bit and come back fresh and calm.

Anything else you'd like to contribute to the discussion please do.

History is fascinating, always has been to me. The fact that this history is personal just makes it all the more exciting and keeps me going day to day hoping to find someone to connect to or find a tidbit of info I didn't have before. Finding the unknown or previously unknowable is like winning the lottery! My family had lots and lots of kids in the early days!!
    Laugh until you cry, don't cry until you laugh. :irish: I was Shamrocked by WillowRosette
    Life is meant to be lived to the fullest.
    Wakan Tankan Nici Un -- May the Great Spirit walk with you
    Yigaquu osaniyu adanvto adadoligi nigohilvi nasquv utloyasdi nihi -- May the Great Spirit's Blessings Always Be With You
    http://www.rsdhope.org/

I want to thank GalenaFaolan, Sage Rainsong and RubyRose for taking part in the questionaire. It's good to see more researchers on here.

You're welcome.

My Author Page
    That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always.

http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.c...ople-site.html

Sunday, April 15, 2007
    Free Credits for ScotlandsPeople Site

The Scottish Sunday Mail is giving away to their readers 20 free credits for the ScotlandsPeople site.

1. Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and click on the register button if you're a new user, or log in using your username and password if you already have an account.

2. New users will be required to complete a registration form before they can access the ScotlandsPeople site.

3. Once logged in, click on NEED MORE? on the top right hand side of the page.

4. You will be taken to a page where you should enter the voucher code sundaymail to access the great genealogy giveaway.

Labels: Scotland

I've got ADD and OCD so that means I've got something new to obsess about every 5 seconds.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4+ years now I think.

How big is your tree?

The branches that grow out, or the ones that only go in circles? , and does that include the aliens that must have come in spaceships? Some surnames are traced back to the 1600's, some are dead ends for the past few years still.

Where do you conduct your research? i.e. online, libraries, traveling to each destination

I use online information, family information, libraries, other researchers and volunteers, what ever way I can find.

Not enough online information, and researchers that don't use documentation and post wrong information!

Ireland, England, Sweden, Scotland, Germany.

Lately it is all I can do to keep up with the new info that my sis has found and sent to me, so all of them I guess!

I have been addicted to genealogy for a long time, I like to learn about the ancestors that came before me.

My sis ( Shaylak on here) is a professional researcher, I'll leave those headaches for her. I tried volunteer work, but got swamped with requests ( RAOGK) and my abilitly to use my feet went downhill fast about that time preventing me from getting out to the places to find info.

Usually the Muskegon County Genealogy Society, but I haven't renewed yet there.

Due to usually being in charge of two of my live-in grandbabies, I have been able to do very little research in the past several months now. I knew to take a break when I began losing my place and losing the papers I just printed out! .

I've got ADD and OCD so that means I've got something new to obsess about every 5 seconds.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast