Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: The Genealogical Researchers Desk

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    How long have you been working on your genealogy? For a couple of years

How big is your tree? Fairly big. I've gone right back to my great, great grandfather on my mother's side.

Where do you conduct your research? i.e. online, libraries, traveling to each destination Usually its either family members or online.

What frustrates you about genealogy? Right now, the resources and lack of money. It would be very beneficial for me to go overseas but I can't afford it right now.

Where so far does your family hail from? So far, England, Ireland, Scotland and some Wales.

What surname line or royal connections/dynasty are you currently working on? Wright

What do you feel you've gained from learning about your family history, how important is it in your life? Its made me understand more about my families legacy, how far it reaches, and the importance of stories, traditions, etc..

Are you currently or are you considering making genealocial research a career? No.

Do you belong to any genealogical or historical societies or organizations? No.

How often do you take breaks from your research? We all know it can make us nuts without breaks. Can you tell when you need a break? I take a break when my head hits a brick wall which is very common. I need to step back, take a week off, and then dive back in.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Right now, I'm pissed off. My "great, great, great" grandfather's real name isn't "Wright". He ran away from home with his younger brother, was adopted by a Wright family and took on their names. I can't find any referance or clues to what his original name was. My great aunt's daughter did a research in England, Ireland and Scotland (when she visited it 3 years ago) but found nothing on his original name.

All we know is that his mother was an unmarried woman with two children who married a hard man. No records of adoption have been found and the church that was used to store it in had been demolished after a fire. My great aunt is also stuck in this spot.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Those stupid fires sure cause alot of problems, we have a few of those too! I guess I really shouldn't complain too much, wood structures made this area quite wealthy.

I've got ADD and OCD so that means I've got something new to obsess about every 5 seconds.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    Right now, I'm pissed off. My "great, great, great" grandfather's real name isn't "Wright". He ran away from home with his younger brother, was adopted by a Wright family and took on their names. I can't find any referance or clues to what his original name was. My great aunt's daughter did a research in England, Ireland and Scotland (when she visited it 3 years ago) but found nothing on his original name.

All we know is that his mother was an unmarried woman with two children who married a hard man. No records of adoption have been found and the church that was used to store it in had been demolished after a fire. My great aunt is also stuck in this spot.
    Yep sounds like a brick wall alright.

See if you can get any ideas here:

http://www.cyndislist.com/hitbrick.htm

http://genealogy.about.com/cs/brickwall/

Brick walls suck. Right now I have several.

My Author Page
    That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always.

How long have you been working on your genealogy?
    About 12 years.

How big is your tree?
    It is a big tree but not fully documented as yet.

Where do you conduct your research?
    Internet, libraries, historical society archives, courthouses.

What frustrates you about genealogy?
    Not getting responses in a timely manner.I hate writing out for info and then waiting months to get a response.

Where, so far, does your family hail from?
    Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, Germany.

What surname line or royal connection/dynasty are you currently working on?
    Currently working on a brick wall family in Virginia.

What do you feel you've gained from learning about your family history, how important is it in your life?
    I have a healthy respect for my ancestors. Some of them went to areas that were barely inhabitated and made lives for themselves and their families.I think it takes a lot of courage to up and leave everything familiar.

Are you currently or are you considering making genealogical research a career?
    I have been doing professional genelaogy for over 7 years now.Took a little break when we moved to another state, but I am now getting back into it again.

Do you belong to any genealogical or historical societies or organizations?
    I belong to the National Genelaogical Society and a couple of local groups. I am just now getting back into the Association of Professional Genealogists.

How often do you take a break from your research?
    I rarely take a real break.If I get brick-walled or start getting bored, there are always other surnames to search for.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRose View Post
    Brick walls suck. Right now I have several.
    My Epps line I fear will forever remain a brick wall. This is my grandfathers line, the one that passed away in Dec. I'm about to order the record for my Revolutionary ancestor in this line for the DAR and then I'm pretty much calling this line done. No researcher I've ever run into can find more info on this line. It's a bummer.

We have a couple of those brick walls as well and they both involve two different German ancestors.Our brick wall comes about because the surname changed somewhere between Germany and the US.One we may crack eventually as we do know where that family came from in Germany and we know when they were born and when they got married.We just can't prove it because the surname is not the same.The other one is just plain dead end.We know they had to have been here for many years before we found them but they were not using the same surname earlier on.We had the same problem with a Swedish ancestor and my sister found a very nice lady in Sweden who took pity on us and helped us get info there.The surnames changed when the sons grew up and we never would have found the whole family group if this very kind lady had not helped us.I am just a big fan of all the volunteers who help people out.There are just plain things we would not have located without them.

I found this today in my daily genealogy news stuff:

http://genealogyblog.com/computer-te...-web-site-5918

brand spankin new site, not much there yet!

I've got ADD and OCD so that means I've got something new to obsess about every 5 seconds.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    I found this today in my daily genealogy news stuff:

http://genealogyblog.com/computer-te...-web-site-5918

brand spankin new site, not much there yet!
    Thanks for the link, it looks interesting.

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast