Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: The Genealogical Researchers Desk

I'm not sure if you've seen this article yet, but it's called 'The Beginners Guide Genealogical Research'.

It's from the ADF site, and I thought it was kind of cool, it also has some links at the bottom of the article to get started.

Anyway, just wanted to share it.

I haven't noticed this link mentioned, if it was, soorry !!!! This is the volunteer site that I used to work for before my accident knocked me out of volunteer work, it is called RAOGK, Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. The people that volunteer here take usually one or two requests in a month to look up for people. I was getting usually 8-10 requests per week, and this is not a big town. There are a few rules to read before making a request, be sure to read, but these people are great, I have used the service myself. http://www.raogk.org/
    It was through this site that I met the woman in Sweden that I was able to get some of our family info from, she had family that had immigrated to this town, and she happened to live where my family had, so we traded research! Volunteering, if you have the time, is really rewarding and you never know when you will end up meeting someone holding the keys to your brick wall! The site is set up to search for the volunteers in the place where you need info from, if there are more than one that is nice since you may have to go on a waiting list. ( this was my problem, I loved to help people over their brick walls and took all requests!!)

I've got ADD and OCD so that means I've got something new to obsess about every 5 seconds.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a quick question. In 1900 when social security numbers were issued would one have been issued in California if someone was born in Oklahoma or can I assume since it was issued in California that this person was born in California?
    Please click the banner to check out my Jewelry on ArtFire!

Quote Originally Posted by Visha'sMommy View Post
    I have a quick question. In 1900 when social security numbers were issued would one have been issued in California if someone was born in Oklahoma or can I assume since it was issued in California that this person was born in California?

To my knowledge it started abt 1935 not 1900. I don't think it necessarily means they were born there, just where it was issued. If someone was born in Oklahome they could easily have moved to Cali by 1935 and then had it isued there when soc sec came into effect.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~rwguide/lesson10.htm

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~hornbeck/ss.htm

That is kinda what I assumed. I didnt know it came out that late but it does make sence for why she got it in California.

I have spent all night searching for any family in Oklahoma in the 1900 Census with the last name of Butcher. I finally find 2 entries and cant read them.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ok.../1900/208b.gif
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ok.../1900/208a.gif

Please tell me what the trick is to reading these? Im looking for a Julia. She probably wasnt on the Census since she was born in October but she had an older Sister I believe with the name Effie. I have tennitave birth places for both parents but no names. How do I read this???

My suggestion would be to print the page, see if that makes it easier to read. Maybe use a magnifying glass...

My Author Page
    That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always.

I hadnt thought of that. I cant print at home but if nothing else I can monday at the library.

Annest is trying that now. Thank you RubyRose I had not thought of printing it out even if I could.
    Last edited by Willow Rosette; April 22nd, 2007 at 05:31 AM.

That is kinda what I assumed. I didnt know it came out that late but it does make sence for why she got it in California.

I have spent all night searching for any family in Oklahoma in the 1900 Census with the last name of Butcher. I finally find 2 entries and cant read them.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ok.../1900/208b.gif
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ok.../1900/208a.gif

Please tell me what the trick is to reading these? Im looking for a Julia. She probably wasnt on the Census since she was born in October but she had an older Sister I believe with the name Effie. I have tennitave birth places for both parents but no names. How do I read this???

What are the birthdates of the individuals your looking for. Also do you have an idea of the county they are from? It's easier if you save the picture to your cpu and open in it. I use Microsoft Office picture viewer so it zooms in quite well. Is Effie the only sibling Julia has?

My search on ancestry turns up 1 result for an Effie Butcher in OK in the 1900 census. Age 4.

Name: Effie Butcher
    Home in 1900: Duke, Greer, Oklahoma
    Estimated birth year: abt 1896
    Birthplace: Texas
    Relationship to head-of-house: Daughter
    Father's name: Christopher C
    Mother's name: Mary A
    Race: White
    Neighbors: View others on page
    Household Members: Name Age
    Christopher C Butcher 32
    Mary A Butcher 24
    Effie Butcher 4
    Orbie L Butcher 3
    James E Butcher 1

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Duke, Greer, Oklahoma; Roll: T623 1337; Page: 18A; Enumeration District: 82.

Tips for Reading Early American Handwriting
    http://www.ancestry.com/learn/librar...px?article=796

Tips for Reading Early American Handwriting
    When people first start researching their ancestry they often begin by searching home sources, indexes, computer databases, and printed sources in order to determine what others may have researched on their pedigree. Today, this “survey phase” of genealogy extends to searching the Internet, as well as compact discs [genealogies, periodical indexes, census indexes, vital records, etc., on CD-ROM]. While there are many resources available for researching in the home, it doesn't take long for beginning researchers to realize that they need to search original records—in courthouses, libraries, archives, and historical societies, and copies of originals on microfilm, microfiche, and CD-ROM. Such records include census schedules, church registers, wills and other probate records, land records, military records, court records, tax lists, passenger lists, journals, and so forth. It is at this stage that researchers often realize that many older records are handwritten in an antiquated script that is often difficult to read. Knowing how to read and interpret old records is an important aspect of the genealogical research process.
    While the ability to read the script contained in these old records comes from experience, or by attending lectures and workshops at conferences, there are things a beginner should know. Following are some tips for reading early American handwriting, such as a researcher might find in early colonial government or civic records. For more instruction, those who are just beginning their study of old handwriting (known as paleography) should also study the examples on the Internet site Deciphering Old Handwriting, by Sabina J. Murray www.firstct.com/fv/oldhand.html . See especially the old style (initial) “s,” common abbreviations, and numbers. Examples of letter formations can be found at Old Handwriting Samples www.rootsweb.com/~ote/writing.htm .

Keep a good quality magnifying glass with you when you go to a library, courthouse, or archives. You shouldn’t anticipate that there will be one you can use.
    Study more recent handwriting and work backward toward the seventeenth century.
    When reading old records, you should compare letters and words that you can read with those that are more difficult to read in the same document.
    Most records used by genealogists have dates and were kept chronologically; therefore, look for months of the year and compare the letters in the months with the words you are having difficulty reading.
    Common phrases were often used and repeated in some records, such as wills and deeds. You can study common phrases to learn the handwriting style of the scribe.
    Personal names and place names (localities) were often misspelled. You should use a gazetteer, map, or local history to help identify the correct spelling of place names (such as a city, town, or township). Scribes often abbreviated words, such as Abr. for Abraham. Writing was often done phonetically (the way the word sounded).
    Do not try to read the document too fast—transcribe and evaluate it carefully. And remember, always evaluate the evidence and cite your sources!
    Bibliography
    Cyndi’s List: Handwriting & Script
    www.cyndislist.com/handwrit.htm
    Last edited by Haerfest Leah; April 22nd, 2007 at 07:08 AM.

**Seapearls you are wonderfull so please dont take what Im about to say the wrong way.

WTF???? I spent hours last night comming through all of Oklahoma counties and townships. I mean hours and hours and hours literally looking at everysingle one of those damn things. And then you find it like that.............. GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRR there must be something I am missing that will make this all make sence to me.

The only reason Im looking for Effie is because Julia wasnt born yet and I dont have the parents names. The only thing I have is that Julia was born in Oklahoma and Effie was born in Texas, well I have more on Julia but Im trying to move past her. And I have that their mother was born in Texas and their father in Missouri. Galena found that for me and in all the hours I searched last night I never ever found anything 1) to actually tie Effie to Julia and 2) saying anything about their parents. All I have is what Galena found but I really really wanted to be able to say I found this myself and I know this frome here..............

OK Ill shut up now I just had to get that off my chest.

**Seapearls you are wonderfull so please dont take what Im about to say the wrong way.

WTF???? I spent hours last night comming through all of Oklahoma counties and townships. I mean hours and hours and hours literally looking at everysingle one of those damn things. And then you find it like that.............. GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRR there must be something I am missing that will make this all make sence to me.

The only reason Im looking for Effie is because Julia wasnt born yet and I dont have the parents names. The only thing I have is that Julia was born in Oklahoma and Effie was born in Texas, well I have more on Julia but Im trying to move past her. And I have that their mother was born in Texas and their father in Missouri. Galena found that for me and in all the hours I searched last night I never ever found anything 1) to actually tie Effie to Julia and 2) saying anything about their parents. All I have is what Galena found but I really really wanted to be able to say I found this myself and I know this frome here..............

OK Ill shut up now I just had to get that off my chest.
    Haha no offense taken. I completely understand your frustration. I just went on ancestry.com and typed some info in for the 1900 census and it searches the database and send you back the results.

Now your going to want to shoot me. I just searched the 1910 census for you with the info I know, parants birth places and such added in I think I got a direct hit. What's your email address I'll send you the census? But this means the Effie I found for you last night was the wrong one.

1910 United States Federal Census
    about Julia Butcher
    Name: Julia Butcher
    Age in 1910: 9
    Estimated birth year: abt 1901
    Birthplace: Texas
    Relation to Head of House: Daughter
    Father's name: Elle
    Father's Birth Place: Texas
    Mother's name: Addie
    Mother's Birth Place: Missouri
    Home in 1910: Justice, Andrews, Texas
    Marital Status: Single
    Race: White
    Neighbors: View others on page
    Household Members: Name Age
    Elle Butcher 41
    Addie Butcher 34
    Effie Butcher 14
    Orrie Butcher 12
    James Butcher 11
    Julia Butcher 9
    Joseph Butcher 7
    Robert Butcher 25

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Justice, Andrews, Texas; Roll: T624_1527; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 1; Image: 681.

See it's easiest to look for a census that both girls are listed in together. So since Julia probably wasn't in the 1900 you go to the 1910. But according to this census she wasn't born in Oklahoma.
    Last edited by Haerfest Leah; April 22nd, 2007 at 07:12 PM.

Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast