Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: The Genealogical Researchers Desk

LOL I went from hating the Census Records to thinking they are fun to read LMAO
    Please click the banner to check out my Jewelry on ArtFire!

The ancestry site is one of my most valued internet sites.I am especially fond of the census database and the military databases.Anyone who is getting serious about genealogy just about has to subscribe to this site.The whole thing can cost a pretty penny but they do offer reductions from time to time which, while I still think is too much, it is at least worth the price.I started subscribing to this site shortly after it started up and it only cost me $50 a year for everything.
    The big thing with the census is that they have indexed all the census records and that is such a time saver.Not that you don't come across someone who isn't indexed where they should be and may still have to search page by page.No database is perfect or complete.The military databases are really great as well.When I started out, I had very little knowledge of my family history and no one to tell me much about it.The databases really helped me put a few pieces together.
    Another thing I learned along the way is to network with people you meet who are also researching even if it is not the same line as yours.While I was doing all the volunteer work, I made a lot of friends and by doing favors for them, I got favors in return.You just never know where your family line is going to take you and these friends may be willing to trade services and help you get information you need!

My Mom didnt bring back my information She said it was this thick (indicating with her fingers) and she didnt want to bring back my Grandparents only copy. GGRRRRR Its not like Im asking for a dozen people. Just 1! She could have answered my questions over the phone. GGRRRR I have beeen so excited to get it and now it is still a million miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Visha'sMommy View Post
    My Mom didnt bring back my information She said it was this thick (indicating with her fingers) and she didnt want to bring back my Grandparents only copy. GGRRRRR Its not like Im asking for a dozen people. Just 1! She could have answered my questions over the phone. GGRRRR I have beeen so excited to get it and now it is still a million miles away.
    Oh geesh, I hate it when family makes excuses not to divy up the info. I agree she could have made you 1 copy, that's all it takes.

I had a similar problem at first with my family too except mine was that no one knew jack. And I can't figure our why, whay did they not seem to care. Why did no one bother to record anything about the family. All it did was piss me off enough to decide to teach myself how to do the research and then I gathered what tiny amount of info they did have and went from there. Since then I've blown them all away with all I know on the family.

I'm currently still waiting on my mother to pick up my grandparents birth certificates from my grandmother so I can send coies to the DAR. It's taking those two forever to do a few simple steps. Take them out, give them to mom. All mom has to do is drive home, scan and hit send to email them to me. But no I've been waiting on these for about 3 weeks now.

Im going to try and email my Grandma about it. I dont have my Aunts phone/email to ask her. Uuuggghhh I am just sooo upset I have been telling her since before they left how much I wanted to find this info. One minute of looking at the book or making a copy of one page is NOT to much to ask since I know they were out and about town anyway.

I talked to my Grandma today...she gave me the email address to the Great Aunt that did the research....YEA!!!! I have emailed her already. So as long as she remembers me (Havent seen her since I was young) I should be able to have the informations soon.

I talked to my Grandma today...she gave me the email address to the Great Aunt that did the research....YEA!!!! I have emailed her already. So as long as she remembers me (Havent seen her since I was young) I should be able to have the informations soon.
    Good I hope you are able to get something from her.

Quote Originally Posted by seapearls View Post
    Good I hope you are able to get something from her.
    I got an email tonight from my Great Aunt and although she has all this info it isnt saved to anything computer related, just made into a big book LOL and one id in Utah and one is in Idaho. BUT she said she would do her best to answer my questions YEA!!!! So I sent her my questions and since I hadnt gotten very far there werent to many. YEA!!!!! Im sooo excited.

I got an email tonight from my Great Aunt and although she has all this info it isnt saved to anything computer related, just made into a big book LOL and one id in Utah and one is in Idaho. BUT she said she would do her best to answer my questions YEA!!!! So I sent her my questions and since I hadnt gotten very far there werent to many. YEA!!!!! Im sooo excited.
    Good, I hope she gives you some good information. I uncovered a hard to find census today that I'd been looking for. Made my day. I needed it for my DAR package.

Quote Originally Posted by Agaliha View Post
    How long have you been working on your genealogy?
    Off and on for awhile.

How big is your tree?
    Right now. Not so big.

Where do you conduct your research?
    Talking to my grandmoth and doing some surname search online.

What frustrates you about genealogy?
    Ha. Everything.
    I can't really progress. I've had to focus on my grandmother's side as my father doesn't keep in contact with his family, but my aunt on his side has all the family history and paper work. Stuff that shows were are in fact Cherokee, blood quanities and all that. If I had that then perhaps I'd be able to progress.

Where so far does your family hail from?
    Mother's side: Ukraine (or Russia) and Germany. Immigrated here recently (my great-grandparents)
    Father's side: America. Native American.

What surname line or royal connections/dynasty are you currently working on?
    Well right now I don't know my Grandfather's info. He was adopted off a Reservation which makes things tricky too. I got to get in contact with my aunt.
    So I'm mostly focusing on Grandmother, whose maiden name was Shevchenko. There was talk in the family that we're somehow related to the famous Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko...so I've been trying to make connections...without any luck. I might be looking in the wrong places though.
    And on my father's side we have some relatives that were in the Trail of Tears. I don't know their names though.

What do you feel you've gained from learning about your family history, how important is it in your life?
    Well I wish I knew more than what I do. Grandma had a stroke not too long ago so I made sure to record what she remembered. I think it's important to learn where you come from, and if I ever had kids I'd love for them to know about their ancestors.

Are you currently or are you considering making genealocial research a career?
    No.

Do you belong to any genealogical or historical societies or organizations?
    No.

How often do you take breaks from your research? We all know it can make us nuts without breaks. Can you tell when you need a break?
    Well I don't research like crazy. I mostly get frusturated at the lack of info and stuff avaliable. So I just give it up only to try again a few months later.

[/quote]

I don't want to reanswer everything, but I have uncovered a lot of stuff recently!
    Recently I started to really look into my genealogy and to my suprise I found tons of documents and information about my mother's ancestors. Well her paternal side (maternal and paternal lines). I knew they were German, but I didn't know any details. I came to find out they came from the Alsace region of France and moved to Speier, Ukraine after the manifesto of Catherine the Great. There's documents of my great-great-great-grandfather living in the town in the late 1800s and where they came from (Wingen, Alsace, France). I thought perhaps they mingled with the fellow Ukrainians, but I guess the German founded towns (like Speier) were basically all German in every aspect. My great-great-grandfather Peter Zent came over to American in 1903 to North Dakota (Jacob, my g-grandfather was a child). My grandfather (Leo) is one of Jacob's kids. I can trace their lineage all the way to the late 1600s. My mom's paternal maternal line is also German, but I don't have as much details yet. And to my SUPRISE my dad's mother is also of German orgin-- I thought she was Native American! So that means all of our NA comes from my dad's father. Weird, as he was always told she was NA. So I came to realized German heritage is by far the most in my family. My mom's materal line is probably Slavic as the little I uncovered seem to indicate that.

So yeah. Pretty awesome.

To reanswer some:
    Do you belong to any genealogical or historical societies or organizations?
    Ancestry.com
    How often do you take breaks from your research? We all know it can make us nuts without breaks. Can you tell when you need a break?
    I was obsessed. I didn't sleep once I found pay dirt
    How big is your tree?
    Immediate is pretty small, distant is big!

Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast