Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: The Genealogical Researchers Desk

My husband has decided he wants to join the Indian tribe his mother's family was part of.What a headache that is turning out to be.I found an outline for doing that kind of research on the state website.At some point, you have to locate an ancestor on the Indian roll.

The sticking point to this is that I have tracked the specific people who were known to be Indian on the census and the census has all of them listed as "white"!No one in his family knows who may have been listed on the rolls and the census is not going help give me a clue.Since Michigan did not actually have a reservation for Indians but did have clusters living in specific areas, I guess I am going to have to take the census info as to where these people lived and check the Indian rolls for those areas and try to find one of them listed on it.

Guess I am going to have to check out some resources and see how those rolls were organized.This is a very new challenge for me.Haven't had the chance to work with Indian lineage before.More new skills to learn!

Success!! Success!!

I got all my information today and it verified everything. Ok there wasnt that much to verify but still.... YEA!!! Seapearls I sent you a PM with it all. Im sooooo excited.:cheers:
    Please click the banner to check out my Jewelry on ArtFire!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaylaK View Post

The sticking point to this is that I have tracked the specific people who were known to be Indian on the census and the census has all of them listed as "white"!No one in his family knows who may have been listed on the rolls and the census is not going help give me a clue.
    I have the same thing with my melungeon "Epps" line, the older the census they were listed as free persons of color and are found on "free african american" and "negro and mulatto" lists. And then by the 1850 census they were listed as Mulatto and later abt 1880 listed as white. This from what I've read is a common pattern in the way melungeons showed up in census. Then I have Olivers that were supposedly Cherokee and some full blooded but I have to "find" it.

Once my fathers Belgian/German bloodline was introduced theres no trace of melungeon in my looks. (see profile picture)

Quote Originally Posted by Visha'sMommy View Post
    Success!! Success!!

I got all my information today and it verified everything. Ok there wasnt that much to verify but still.... YEA!!! Seapearls I sent you a PM with it all. Im sooooo excited.:cheers:
    I got your PM, I'm glad the research I did for you turned out to be correct.
    Last edited by Haerfest Leah; April 27th, 2007 at 11:29 PM.

What is melungeon??
    Please click the banner to check out my Jewelry on ArtFire!

Quote Originally Posted by Visha'sMommy View Post
    What is melungeon??
    If you can read this entire page it gives a great description of Melungeons.

http://www.melungeon.org/?BISKIT=375...=cat&cat=10005

My mothers side of the family is from Grainger, Hamblen, Hancock and Hawkins Counties in east TN, plus North Carolina and Virginia. Hancock Co is mentioned on this page.

We lived in Knoxville TN for a few years and heard quite a lot about the melungeons while we were living there.It was mostly newspaper reports about some new study being done to try to figure out who they were and how they originated.Seemed to be getting quite a lot of attention at the time but had the impression this was a group of people who wanted to be left alone.I had never heard of them before we moved there but I was just fascinated with some of the studies and findings they were reporting at the time.

I did see a few references in some old books I was reading at the time.I had Quaker ancestors who lived in North Carolina and Tennessee and was searching some of the really old books about the history of the area.The impression I got from those books was that, back in the early history of the state, the melungeons were pretty much considered a figment of someone's imagination.As the area was becoming more heavily explored there were more reports about these isolated groups existing in the hills. I am guessing someone finally got curious enough to seriously check out these stories and found out the stories were true.Then the theories stated about who they were and how they got there.And then they started getting a lot of unwanted attention.Guess they could not stay hidden forever!

I have been busy working on the Indian lineage and I have got to tell you, this gets so complicated.Think I am going to use this project as part of my portfolio for my certification.

Michigan has no real Indian reservations. There were pockets of communities where they tended to live. There were treaties that were, of course, not honored and there were lawsuits to get the monies promised the various known tribes. Successful lawsuits resulted in Indian rolls being created in order to determine how much money was paid out to each family and which tribe each family claiming belonged to.

There are about 22 rolls of microfilm that contains these Indian rolls taken starting in 1870. Most of the current tribes want anyone now claiming Indian lineage to locate a family they descended from on one of these rolls taken no later than 1908.

I have now gone through the 1870 Federal census and every census since in order to determine where each family member was living when each of the Indian census rolls were completed. The idea of going through 22 rolls of microfilm really seemed overwhelming.I decided to check out some further sources and found that indexes to these rolls have been published in books that I can actually get to without traveling too far. There are three books considered to be the most complete indexes. One is available through interlibrary loan, one is at a local library just a few miles away and the third book is available at a library a little further away but still not that far.What a relief that was!The index lists the surnames and given names plus the roll and page number!I will still need to get to the nearest library that has the film, but I will not have to hunt and search through roll after roll of film to find what I need.

Family Search Upgrade

Family search .org upgraded their search capability last week. When you pull up a record in the IGI and find the batch number towards the bottom of the page highlighted, you can click on the batch number and it brings up the complete index register for that particular time period.

My sister and I have had a holiday this weekend working with the new search feature.We have a line in Scotland, the McGregors that we have had quite a time finding info on.It is a common surname but we knew where our immigrant ancestor had been born so we had that much to work with.We also found that at least one of his brothers had immigrated to the US so we could limit our parent search to families that had sons by the same first names.With the new search capability, we have now located the marriages and children of the other siblings and we are now very certain that the assumed parents are correct.We also located some potential siblings for the father and mother that we will be searching for next.

The new feature allows you to scroll through the register index and locate other persons with the same surname who were christened or married during the same period of time in the same place.It looks like we may have broken through at least two brick walls so far and we did it online instead of having to order the microfilm for the register index, wait for it to arrive and then get over to the Family History Center when they are open and view all the microfilm.

If you have not been to the family search site for a while, I strongly suggest you go back and try it now.Word is there are some more major works going on that are going to allow researchers to access microfilmed original records.I expect that is going to take quite a while to launch but I am really looking forward to it.Rumor has it that the first launch will be the the microfilmed original records for the Revolutionary War pension records!

On my computer, the batch number stuff isn't hi-lighted, I just hit on it to see what it brings up. I am finding some real gems in there!!

I've got ADD and OCD so that means I've got something new to obsess about every 5 seconds.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not even seeing a batch number on the few records I've looked up.

Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast