Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: The Genealogical Researchers Desk

Those are member contributed records then. The ones that have batch numbers are taken from original documents such as parish registers. Often these are just in the IGI- which is supposed to be the real deal stuff.

I've got ADD and OCD so that means I've got something new to obsess about every 5 seconds.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool news for geneaology researchers in the USA -- Ancestry.com is putting military records going back to 1600 on the web and to make it all the more exciting, it will be free until June 6 2007.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gruagach View Post
    Cool news for geneaology researchers in the USA -- Ancestry.com is putting military records going back to 1600 on the web and to make it all the more exciting, it will be free until June 6 2007.

Yes "Over 90 million U.S. Military names" added, I got their update email yesterday about their newly added records. This also includes additional Revolutionary War and Civil War records that were not previously online, maybe I can find a few of these relatives military records now.

I got the update too. I am hoping it involves some new information that we can use as well.

On the family search site, the new search capability is just for the IGI-so far. I also discovered that the new search capability works best for the European records. I have pulled up batch records for US records and those appear to be batched differently. A christening record I pulled up and then went to the batch brought me to a mishmashed list of christenings from all over the US and appear to be LDS member submitted records not specific to a specific place.

I had quite a lot of good luck searching for our McGrigors in Fifeshire Scotland as clicking on the batch number gave us the index for all births/christenings for a specific time period so we could search for all children born and/or christened there for that time period and located records for all McGrigors/McGregors baptizing children at the same time as ours. I think Lorrie did get some useful info on our Springers in OH.Looks like she finally figured out where Stony Run NY is and we think we found our ancestor Springer widow (who was, unfortunately, listed as Mrs. Springer on the 1850 census).

My computer is highlighting the batch numbers so I can tell when there is an index available but several people are telling me they don't get the highlights.I have no idea why.

Can this be used to track kinfolk in Wales? Is there a link?

Quote Originally Posted by omar View Post
    Can this be used to track kinfolk in Wales? Is there a link?
    What exactly are you trying to track?

I am about 98% sure this Mrs Springer is one and the same, just have to find some sort of documentation now. I am considering sending money down for an hour of research from their genealogy society. They have very little on their site, they would rather make money off of the records. This woman has given me fits for years now! It is so exciting to finally see something this frustrating pay off. I also have a theory on the dead hubby/father, that he wasn't alone and possibly his brother also died and left a wife which would be the other Springer in that 1850 census, I found a marriage record for the daughter of these ones. I have a record for both of the Mary Springers ( one is sister and one is niece). This is what makes it all worthwhile.

I've got ADD and OCD so that means I've got something new to obsess about every 5 seconds.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by seapearls View Post
    What exactly are you trying to track?
    My family name. I thought thats what this was all about?

Quote Originally Posted by omar View Post
    My family name. I thought thats what this was all about?
    Right, do you know for sure that your family is from Wales or is that just where the surname meaning says it's from? There can be several lineages for one surname and they may not be related.

This is the link being spoken about.

http://www.familysearch.org/

Ancestry.com has lowered monthly subscription prices

I'm not sure when exactly this happend but I just noticed and so if anyone else hadn't looked either....

in Americn dollars:

The prices were....
    Monthly $29.95 U.S. Deluxe
    Monthly $34.95 World Deluxe

And is now...

Monthly $19.95 U.S. Deluxe
    Monthly $29.95 World Deluxe

The yearly subscriptions are still. ..(But that's even lower than what they were 2 years ago if I remember correctly.)

yearly $155.40 U.S. Deluxe
    yearly $299.40 World Deluxe

Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 ... LastLast