Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Myths?

Favorite Myths?

I'm not even going to make a poll for this as the possibilities are literally endless. I'm curious what everyone's favorite myth (or myths) is and if you want to share, why it's your favorite.

Okay, so I guess I'll go first. I don't really know what myth is my favorite. I never really gave it much thought.
    I like the story of Klytie (Clytie) and Helios.
    Here's a version:
    "Clytie was a water-nymph and in love with Helios [the god of the Sun], who made her no return. So she pined away, sitting all day long upon the cold ground, with her unbound tresses streaming over her shoulders. Nine days she sat and tasted neither food nor drink, her own tears and the chilly dew her only food. She gazed on the sun when he rose, and as he passed through his daily course to his setting; she saw no other object, her face turned constantly on him. At last, they say, her limbs rooted in the ground, her face became a flower which turns on its stem so as always to face the sun throughout its daily course; for it retains to that extent the feeling of the nymph from whom it sprang."
    - from Bulfinch's Mythology
    Oh and I found out that the flower being described here is not a sunflower that we all know. Technically it's a Heliotrope, a flower found in parts of Europe; its a weed actually. Looks nothing like the yellow one we get our seeds from.
    From a site:
    It is only for convenience that the modern poets translate the
    Latin word HELIOTROPIUM, by the English sunflower. The
    sunflower, which was known to the ancients, was called in Greek,
    helianthos, from HELIOS, the sun; and ANTHOS a flower, and in
    Latin, helianthus. It derives its name from its resemblance to
    the sun; but, as any one may see, at sunset, it does not "turn to
    the God when he sets the same look that it turned when he rose."
    The Heliotrope of the fable of Clytie is called Turn-sole in old
    English books, and such a plant is known in England. It is not
    the sweet heliotrope of modern gardens, which is a South American
    plant. The true classical heliotrope is probably to be found in
    the heliotrope of southern France, a weed not known in America.
    The reader who is curious may examine the careful account of it
    in Larousse's large dictionary.
    (here)
    There's a pic of the actual flower (Heliotropium europaeum)
    Heliotropium europaeum (Common Heliotrope) - Wild Plants of Malta (by Stephen Mifsud)

Not the prettiest flower, perhaps that's why the Sunflower was chosen instead.

Oh and here's a bust of her:

Roman, about AD 40-50
    Said to be from near Naples, Italy
    From here

Anyway, I admire her devotion. Though it was a little obsessive
    She stayed steadfast and never gave up. I like the water and fire thing too.

Last edited by Agaliha; November 8th, 2006 at 07:53 AM.

I can't help thinking Helios might have felt a little nervous when she was around. She sounds like the kind of person who'd sit in their car outside your house all day, watching you ...
    ~ Light up, light up, ~
    ~ As if you have a choice ~
    ~ Even if you cannot hear my voice, ~
    ~ I'll be right beside you dear. ~

^ Thanks to GEBS for my little friend here ^

:

I like this myth too. I also like the heliotrope but it's poisonous. I think that it's more analogous to the myth than the modern replacement of the Sunflower. Klytie's love for Apollo is an unhealthy love. Sunflowers are so wholesome. She's like Narcissus, another poisonous flower, with an unhealthy obsession. Poor Echo....echo....echo...

I love the folklore of plants, trees and flowers. It often explains why they were named and even some of the mysteries of their medicinal and magickal propeties. Here's a site on flower folklore.
    Last edited by _Banbha_; November 8th, 2006 at 06:37 PM.

is offline Blisswaves of Bee Queens and Apple Kings

it must have been the roses

and the forget-me-nots
    white lily
    and the LotusBorn
    from my innermost heart
    http://www.uwm.edu/~rkornman/Translation.Sample.1.html
    and many others
    undead

for Ever.
    B:.B:.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AsStanzasofCyan!
    Bro:.Blue:.

Quote Originally Posted by LostSheep View Post
    I can't help thinking Helios might have felt a little nervous when she was around. She sounds like the kind of person who'd sit in their car outside your house all day, watching you ...
    Yeah, hence why I said she was a little obsessive. Still though, I admire her dedication. I mean, I can't keep that amout of focus on anything really. Not saying she was healthy about it though.
    The common interpretation is she turned into a Sunflower and I like that more than the flower posted. The sunflower holds more sunny symbolism.

Quote Originally Posted by WyldeDryad View Post
    I like this myth too. I also like the heliotrope but it's poisonous. I think that it's more analogous to the myth than the modern replacement of the Sunflower. Klytie's love for Apollo is an unhealthy love. Sunflowers are so wholesome. She's like Narcissus, another poisonous flower, with an unhealthy obsession. Poor Echo....echo....echo...
    I love the folklore of plants, trees and flowers. It often explains why they were named and even some of the mysteries of their medicinal and magickal propeties. Here's a site on flower folklore.
    Yeah, it is an unhealthy love. Going with the modern Sunflower interpretation, though, she became something beautiful and giving (seeds, nourishment)...like channeling all that into something positive. Or something. But with the original Heliotrope, it's different.
    Cool link

Another myth I love is Persephone and Hades...though I have a feeling that one could use it's own thread to discuss. Lots of stuff with that one.
    Last edited by Agaliha; November 8th, 2006 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agaliha
    Another myth I love is Persephone and Hades...though I have a feeling that one could use it's own thread to discuss. Lots of stuff with that one.
    Ashpodels and pomegranates. :D
    Last edited by _Banbha_; November 8th, 2006 at 11:26 PM.

Yup. Pomegranates and Asphodels. Flower and tree lore is interesting. Got an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Agaliha View Post
    Oh yes, Persephone and Demeter and Isis and Osiris ... they're some of my favourite myths. I'm always a sucker for stories of undying devotion ...
    ~ Light up, light up, ~
    ~ As if you have a choice ~
    ~ Even if you cannot hear my voice, ~
    ~ I'll be right beside you dear. ~

^ Thanks to GEBS for my little friend here ^

:

Sir, I believe Mandoon is dry humping the pagan.
    One of my favorite myths (or is this a fairy tale?) is the Japanese story about the Fox Wedding - apparently, if you witness a fox wedding in the forest and they see you, you have to kill yourself!

I love most Greek myths, for the familiarity factor. I grew up listening to them, they are part of my childhood. I am really growing to love Norse myths, particularly involving Freyja and Loki.
    ~NITEFALLE~
    Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
    Always in search of, and one step in back of,
    Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
    ~Willie Nelson~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast