Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Favorite Myths?

My favorite myth is Pygmalion and Galatea.

A sculptor creates his version of the perfect woman. He falls in love with his creation, brings her gifts, clothes her in the most beautiful clothes, covers her with kisses and caresses her...and yet, she is stone.

He goes to the temple of Aphrodite and gives her an offering. She shows her favor by having the flame rise up three times.

He returns home to his beautiful statue and kisses her. Under his lips the stone turns soft, everywhere he touches her becomes soft, pliable, and human.

Aphrodite blessed him with his creation - his love, his life.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

I just purchased a new book with some new stories. My new favorite story is the babylonian story of Gimil-Ninurta. I totally identify with him. Poor and smart enough to outwit people.
    ......with liberty and justice for all;
    For all means for all without exceptions!

What is more valuable than liberty? Nothing, not even my own life. As without liberty, is life really worth living?

"those who would give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, deserve neither, and will lose both." -Benjamin Franklin

"Don't Tread on Me" - Forgot

I like anything that is Mi'kMaq or First Nations in origin, being part Mi'kMaq myself.

Here is a site that has a lot of interesting legends about Glooskap, the creator of the Mi'kMaq Nation on it.

Firstnet: Mi'kmaq Legends.
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

Cloaky

Happy 150th Birthday, Canada!
    1867 - 2017

I love the different myths about the wild hunt :D
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Mine is that of Rhiannon. It's turns into a sad story when she is accused of murdering her son but it redeemed and the truth comes out as the child had been stolen. She is punished but retains her innocense and strength throughout.
    For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'

John Greenleaf Whittier

Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change.

Malcolm X

The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

W. M. Lewis

My favorite is Isis and the Sun God's secret name.
    ~~Good things are better when they're a Rarity.~~

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4