Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Myths?

TOO many favs!

I have too many favs....but there is one that stands out in my mind right now.

Its the old story from Buddhist mythology that says that through the many Lives of he Buddha, he sacrificed himself.

Theres one charming story about how Buddha was incarnated as a deer, and how he sacrificed hismelf so that a starving tiger and her cubs could live.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

The deer tale is beautiful Galadraal.

So many favorite myths, it's hard to choose!

While I imerse my self in Irish myth and folklore to my bones, I enjoy and appreciate myths from many cultures. I like to dig deep and find clues to mysteries of the ancient cultures that created them; but I also just love a great story.

Thinking Greek: I really enjoyed Roberto Calasso's The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony. It's a poetic re-telling that flows like water. I've read it many times. I'm not sure what an Hellenic Recon's opinion would be of his interpretaions and connections. I'd like to read his book re-telling Hindu myths: Ka: Stories of the Mind and Gods of India .

Among my favorite Greek myths is the Robert Graves translation of Apuleius' Cupid and Pysche. I'm fascinated by every element of Persphone's myth and anything I can find about Hecate. They're all very meaningful to me.
    Last edited by _Banbha_; November 10th, 2006 at 02:38 PM. Reason: fixor teh boo boo!

Too many to choose from!

In Greek mythology I like Baucis and Philemon a lot - such a sweet ending. I'm a sap, I know.

I'm re-reading Bullfinch's Mythology - an abridged version right now.

In Egyptian Mythology I like the story of HetHert cheering Ra up. but I can't find a copy of that online.

Celtic Myth... I've always had a love for Fionn MacCumhal, and Cuculain. And the stories of Brighid are wonderful!

Norse... almost anything to do with the journey and structure of Yggdrasil.
    And so it goes hehe!
    Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Can't choose! I'm reading Ovid's Metamorphoses now and trying to finish The Iliad. Too much to learn, too little time :D
    Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

is offline Blisswaves of Bee Queens and Apple Kings
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AsStanzasofCyan!
    Bro:.Blue:.

Quote Originally Posted by coaxialkettle View Post
    Merci beaucoup pour le site! C'est parfait pour moi.
    Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Visual favorite

I have a (reproduction) painting of 'Circe Invidiosa' by John William Waterhouse, and it mesmerizes me.
    Circe was in love with a fisherman or sailor, but he was attracted to Scylla, a water nymph. So Circe poured poison into the sea, which turned Scylla into a hideous sea monster. The picture shows her holding a great bowl of greenish liquid, as a stream of it flows down into the sea at her feet; the intense look of cold concentration on her face is fascinating.
    It may not be my all-time favorite myth - but I look at that painting every day and am entranced anew.

My favorite myth is every greek myth ever written. Particuallrily 3

The myths of Persephone (Being tricked into eating the pommegranet and spending time in hades every year)

Echo ( Who talked so much she was banished i believe, and now the myth is, whenever your out in the woods, if you speak up, she'll talk back, hence Echo)

And Pandora, because,well, who doesnt
    Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got. It is only by losing oneself that one finds one's way. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain. Stand for something or you'll fall for anything Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid. Sometimes on the way to your dreams, you get lost and find something better Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain.

Thanks to Faeawyn for these banners!!

Thanks to Dancing Wind for this banner

I would have to say the myth of Demeter and Persephone and her transformation into Kore, basically the Eleusinian mysteries fascinate me! My second favourite would be the myths of the Cailleach or Gyre-Carline and her affect on the seasons. She causes winter by washing her plaid or blasting the crops and plants with her magic wand until the sun and rain overcome her and Bride takes over for the Spring and Summer.

I don't know why but "East of Sun West of Moon" maybe the idea that you have to go beyond the known world to truely give yourself to love

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast