Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Myths?

I love the myth of Pegasus, Pygmallion, the one where Thor and Loki lost the contests only to find out that there opponents had been Wild Fire, The Midgard Serpent, and Old Age. just to name a few.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

I have a lot of favourite myths, if I had to pick:

Sumerian: Nergal and Ereshkigal - when Nergal went down to the underworld to take over, and ended up having sex with Ereshkigal, who then fell in love with him, and ended up with them hooking up.

Descent of Inanna - it's a really cool one, especially when understood in the actual Sumerian context, without all the modern interpretations (basically, Inanna, a independent god, wanted more power and so tried to take over the Sumerian underworld).

myths with Eros in.

I also like the whole Seth vs. Horus one.

Quite a few Norse myths and also several Jewish ones too (and Canaanite).

Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    Descent of Inanna - it's a really cool one, especially when understood in the actual Sumerian context, without all the modern interpretations (basically, Inanna, a independent god, wanted more power and so tried to take over the Sumerian underworld).
    The Descent is one of my favorites, too - mostly because Ereskigal kicks her rear.

I mean, essentially, Inanna puts on her most ostentatious "Look at me! I'm powerful!" clothes and heads down to the underworld, where she expects Ereshkigal to treat her the same way everyone does in her own realm. She wants to be the queen of her sister's queendom. Instead, Ereshkigal strips Inanna of all her symbols of power - and then kills her.

The other part of the story I love is that, after Ninshibur and Enki manage to rescue Inanna, she has to leave someone in the underworld in her place. Ereshkigal wants Ninshibur, but Inanna fights tooth and nail against that, because Ninshibur saved her. Ereshkigal wants Inanna's son, but Inanna rejects that, too, because her son mourned her while she was dead. Then Inanna gets home and finds her consort Dumuzi living it up on her throne, drinking and carousing with women of questionable character, and Inanna just points and says, "Him." It's a beautiful moment.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Quote Originally Posted by Windsmith View Post
    The Descent is one of my favorites, too - mostly because Ereskigal kicks her rear.

I mean, essentially, Inanna puts on her most ostentatious "Look at me! I'm powerful!" clothes and heads down to the underworld, where she expects Ereshkigal to treat her the same way everyone does in her own realm. She wants to be the queen of her sister's queendom. Instead, Ereshkigal strips Inanna of all her symbols of power - and then kills her.

The other part of the story I love is that, after Ninshibur and Enki manage to rescue Inanna, she has to leave someone in the underworld in her place. Ereshkigal wants Ninshibur, but Inanna fights tooth and nail against that, because Ninshibur saved her. Ereshkigal wants Inanna's son, but Inanna rejects that, too, because her son mourned her while she was dead. Then Inanna gets home and finds her consort Dumuzi living it up on her throne, drinking and carousing with women of questionable character, and Inanna just points and says, "Him." It's a beautiful moment.
    That's a lot of the reasons why I like it too, Ereshkigal does kick ass too .

I think Inanna probably got her pride knocked down a bit, she was expected to be treated like she was by everyone else, and Ereshkigal just, basically, knocked her on her ass, and said she wasn't having it.

I also love the myth of Nergal and Ereshkigal. It's a really cool love story, when you think about it. Two very powerful gods find comfort in each other, and both are very strong-headed - Ereshkigal demands Nergal stay in Kur (Sumerian underworld) with her, and Nergal, at first, refuses, but she gets her man in the end (and they seem to have had a cool relationship since).

I really am a sucker for norse myths... cannot name a favorite... oh, and the creation myth from the Kalevala rules!!
    Thanks Patriciaj for the banner!!:fpraise:

Reality is an annoyance that I have to put up with every now and then...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by aluokaloo View Post
    ...the one where Thor and Loki lost the contests only to find out that there opponents had been Wild Fire, The Midgard Serpent, and Old Age. just to name a few.
    Oh, yeah, that one is AMAZING!!
    Thanks Patriciaj for the banner!!:fpraise:

Reality is an annoyance that I have to put up with every now and then...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The rape of Persephone.
    I just love the story.
    My favourite part is where hekate joins the serach with Demeter.

The story of Eros and Psyce from Roma mythology is good too.
    Last edited by patch; January 15th, 2008 at 01:05 PM.

The birth of Hermes and the slaying of the giant Argus, Loki and the death of Baldr, Enki and the flood, Eshu and the story of the man in black and red.

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    Quote Originally Posted by patch View Post
    The rape of Persephone.
    I just love the story.
    My favourite part is where hekate joins the serach with Demeter.
    yep, this one has to be my favorite as well.

i also like Atalanta and the boar, and the various Theseus tales too.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    I have a lot of favourite myths, if I had to pick:

Sumerian: Nergal and Ereshkigal - when Nergal went down to the underworld to take over, and ended up having sex with Ereshkigal, who then fell in love with him, and ended up with them hooking up.

Thats one of my favorites, I prefer the sumerian over the babylonian version of the story. It shows that many of the gods (Enlil, Anu and her own father Nanna) showed some resentment of her in that story, especially when her messenger asked for them to free Inanna, Enki as always being merciful and did try to get her freed.

Enki is one of my favorite gods, He sort of reminds me in some ways of Prometheus. Maybe I read too much into him not always getting along with Enlil the storm god, his role in creating man and saving them from the flood, and his being very wise.
    ......with liberty and justice for all;
    For all means for all without exceptions!

What is more valuable than liberty? Nothing, not even my own life. As without liberty, is life really worth living?

"those who would give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, deserve neither, and will lose both." -Benjamin Franklin

"Don't Tread on Me" - Forgot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast