Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Books about Stones: Mineralogy/Gemology/Metaphysical/Healing

Books about Stones: Mineralogy/Gemology/Metaphysical/Healing

namaste.

this is a very important thread, and therefore it is a sticky.

here we can share our experiences about literature written on and about stones

minaralogy
    gemology
    geology
    rock-hounding
    mining
    lore
    metaphysics
    healing
    magical uses

maybe this thread will help the newbies to get an idea what books to buy and what books rather not to buy

i know i would have appreciated such a thread when i was starting buying books about stones

Quote Originally Posted by CzechWoods View Post
    namaste.

this is a very important thread, and therefore it is a sticky.

i know i would have appreciated such a thread when i was starting buying books about stones
    yeah we can do stickies.

Anyhow,I remember my first book on gems was work sheets on gems from a local new age shop.not really a book. Anyhow the book i first learned about gems was .Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal,Gem &Metal Magic and Rocks And Minerials from Golden Press. The latter book is aimed at children and it is mainly a rock hound book. The former is a slowly but surely outdated book.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by lightdragon View Post
    yeah we can do stickies.

Anyhow,I remember my first book on gems was work sheets on gems from a local new age shop.not really a book. Anyhow the book i first learned about gems was .Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal,Gem &Metal Magic and Rocks And Minerials from Golden Press. The latter book is aimed at children and it is mainly a rock hound book. The former is a slowly but surely outdated book.
    i share your oppinion about scot cunninghams book and even top it with sign of disapproval: waste of paper
    it is neither an encyclopedia whatsoever, nor does it contain much helpful info. it devides stones in active and passive, claiming that blue stones are passive ones. just think of how dangerous that is, if people start believing lapis lazuli was a passive stone. for the little content it is way overpriced. I dont want to put down scot as an author, but he obviously got asked to write a book about a subject he hasnt studies in depth before, and stones ask for a dedicated study before you can write anything nearly coherent about them

my top recomendation is
    MELODY: LOVE IS IN THE EARTH, A Kaleidoscope of Crystals / ISBN:0-962810-3-4;

she has the humbleness to call her book a kaleidoscope of crystals, that would very well classify for an encyclopedy in the title, as it describes about 700 different stone varieties, giving numerology vibration, astrology info, lore some basic mineralogy facts as well as a whole load of experiences and research (not only but also her own)

I got the crystle bible by judy hall (in a german translation) and was not totally thrilled by it, as she doesnt differentiate betrween man altered stones and natural ones, meaning the picture on display for lets say citrine, in fact is the burnt amethyst type i refere to as Zitrine - thus waking false expectations in people.
    Last edited by CzechWoods; November 16th, 2006 at 01:51 AM.

Here's a list of mine... some are better than others...

All 5 of Melody's books (very good.. all of them)

Crystal Awareness - Bowman

Crystal Power Crystal Healing - Gienger (very good)

Healing with Gemstones and Crystals - Stein

Mystical Lore of Precious Stones - Kunz
    The Curious Lore of Presious Stones - Kunz ( Kunz is one of the most renouned mineral experts in the world.. although his writings are scientific they are interesting)

Crystal Gem and Metal Magic - Cunningham (good beginner but dated)

Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals - National Audubon Society (good field guide)

Falling Stars - Reynolds (basic meteorite info)

Cambridge Encyslopedia of Meteorites (Advanced info on meteorites)

Amber Window to the Past - Grimaldi ( Good scientific info on amber ... great book)

The Stones of Time - Brennen
    Last edited by Wolfsong; November 16th, 2006 at 08:40 PM.

The Melody books i was afraid to recommend for beginners as the huge amount of information it has in it. it might overwhelm a beginner. someone who had experience already would find these books helpful.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

One I forgot to mention... remembered about it with the thread on the planets...

Beyond the Blue Horizon: Myths and Legends of the Sun, Moon, Stars and Planets... by E.C. Krupp. It also includes stuff on comets and meteorites.. basically any myth revolving around outer space from cultures all around the world. This really is an excellent book written by one of the greatest scientific minds in astronomy and Director of the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. Although he is renouned around the world for his scientific work and writings he really has a passion for the myths about space as told throughout human history... he also writes in a way which is easy to read and exciting.
    Last edited by Wolfsong; November 17th, 2006 at 11:04 PM.

And one more This is one I don't have yet but will get soon I hope. It's called "Caves: Exploring Hidden Realms" by Michael Ray Taylor, Ronal C. Kerbo. What everyone is ranting about is the photography in this book. I had a chance to look at it while in Germany and I plan on getting it just for the pictures. It was produced in conjunction with a National Geographic IMAX project filming spelunkers exploring caves throughout the world. The film follows two female cavers in subterranean sites in Greenland, the Yucatan, and the south-central U.S.

Here are a few not listed that are good for starter information without getting the BIG books.

Stone Power by Dorothee Mella This book is old it is been reprinted a couple of times. It gives history, color information all related to magic of the stones. It is a A-Z listing with magic powers and stories of each of the more popular stones. it also lists what stone work well with what ailments or energy problems. Plus what metal work best with each stone. A very easy read packed with lots of information.

Gemstones published by Sterling publishing Co. ( very good picture guide for the gemstones) information covers history, cutting, color, structure,durability and some other things. It is easy to understand and a great start for the more non magical side.

[QUOTE=akewa;2899814]Here are a few not listed that are good for starter information without getting the BIG books.

Stone Power by Dorothee Mella This book is old it is been reprinted a couple of times. It gives history, color information all related to magic of the stones. It is a A-Z listing with magic powers and stories of each of the more popular stones. it also lists what stone work well with what ailments or energy problems. Plus what metal work best with each stone. A very easy read packed with lots of information.QUOTE]

Never heard of this one.. thank you for sharing

When I did the Love is In the Earth practitioner they said the Judy Hall book was based on the Love Is In the Earth books but in more simple terms

Also reccommended

Robert Simmons -Book of Stones

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast