Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Books about Stones: Mineralogy/Gemology/Metaphysical/Healing

is offline Now I know there is no before, nor after
    Regarding Judy Hall's Crystal Bible:

I hadn't looked at it in a long time, and was reading over it the other day. I had long thought that she was just a little too floofy for my taste. I mean, come on...holding a crystal isn't going to fix flaws in your DNA as she says it will, and you can't honestly tell me that certain types of quartz crystals really and truly have knowledge of everything that has ever happened on earth. Oh and never point a laser quartz at someone without very focused intent or it will just blast them off into the aether or somesuch.

I find the book okay for a picture reference and some of the basic information though I have found at least one misidentified stone (can't remember what it is offhand though and I'm at work so I can't grab the book and find it) and I think she is giving incomplete information when for example, she doesn't identify ruby and sapphire as being different-colored forms of corrundum, or amethyst and citrine as being quartzes.

Oh, and the one single photo of iolite? I think it was a rather misguided choice to only include a photo of a rough, very grey sample and not include a polished example of the purple/blue/grey colorshifting stone...if I had an iolite in my hand and didn't know what it was, using that as a reference I'd skip right over iolite and keep looking for something else.

Just my thoughts on that book....
    Memories of Pain and Light
    http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
    You, I cannot worship by halves.

Hellenic Web Forum- http://forum.hellenistai.com

Since finishing reading Suiseki: The Asian Art of Beautiful Stones by Willi Benz which was an amazing book I have read 2 other books regarding Asian Stones and stone gardens. The titles were "The art of the Japanese Garden" and "The Art of Setting Stones and Other Writings from the Japanese Garden".

After reading all of these I can truly say that anyone interested in stones and minerals will find this path of study amazing. Not only does it teach you how to appreciate stones by shape and proper placement for viewing on any scale... it also becomes obvious very fast that these eastern views and approaches can be very easily applied to western ways using stones from one's own environ.

Anyone who loves stones and has stones displayed for any reason in their home or in their yard would benefit from studying this style of displaying stones and Suiseki: The Asian Art of Beautiful Stones by Willi Benz is a great starting point.
    Last edited by Wolfsong; August 21st, 2008 at 01:34 AM.

Gem and Mineral Lore: Remedies, Magick and Folklore by Rev. Paul V. Beyerl

Just started reading this and so far it seems a valuable addition to my collection of books on stones. So far it seems like the author compiled information found in other sources to write this book. This, in my opinion, makes it a valuable reference volume when you need to find info quick. It covers scientific as well as historical lore and also covers magickal, remedial, correspondences, and the virtues of stones.

What I really like about it is that he references Kunz a lot who's writings go un-noticed these days but really have contributed a lot more than most realize to today's lore on stones and mineals (Kunz - The Curious Lore of Precious Stones, Dover Publications, 1942)

He also references authors like Melody, Cunningham, Heath, the Lorussos, Morgan, Randazzo, Stein and many others throughout the book.

The only downfall, so far, in my opinion is that the book is limited to around 75 or so different stones/minerals.
    Last edited by Wolfsong; August 23rd, 2008 at 07:28 PM.

claiming that blue stones are passive ones. just think of how dangerous that is, if people start believing lapis lazuli was a passive stone.
    This is exactly why I used Lapis in a chakra meditation at bedtime!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tallwoman

Hello.

I once read a pair of obscure crystal books - 'Gem Elixirs & Vibrational healing Vol 1 & 2' by Garudas; another really good, tangential read.

A.
    Last edited by Akkadian; October 20th, 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiamma View Post
    Regarding Judy Hall's Crystal Bible:

I hadn't looked at it in a long time, and was reading over it the other day. I had long thought that she was just a little too floofy for my taste. I mean, come on...holding a crystal isn't going to fix flaws in your DNA as she says it will, and you can't honestly tell me that certain types of quartz crystals really and truly have knowledge of everything that has ever happened on earth. Oh and never point a laser quartz at someone without very focused intent or it will just blast them off into the aether or somesuch.

I find the book okay for a picture reference and some of the basic information though I have found at least one misidentified stone (can't remember what it is offhand though and I'm at work so I can't grab the book and find it) and I think she is giving incomplete information when for example, she doesn't identify ruby and sapphire as being different-colored forms of corrundum, or amethyst and citrine as being quartzes.

Oh, and the one single photo of iolite? I think it was a rather misguided choice to only include a photo of a rough, very grey sample and not include a polished example of the purple/blue/grey colorshifting stone...if I had an iolite in my hand and didn't know what it was, using that as a reference I'd skip right over iolite and keep looking for something else.

Just my thoughts on that book....
    I echo your sentiments.

A.

Mineralogy for Students-A. Pring & M.H. Battey
    Geology in the Field-Robert Compton
    Healing Stoned: The Therapeutic Use of Gems & Minerals-Joel Glick and Julia Lorusso
    Crystal Wisdom: Spiritual Properties of Crystals and Gemstones-Dolfyn
    Gems of Wisdom, Gems of Power-Teresa Kennedy
    Rock Crystal Treasures -Sylvie Raulet
    Crystal Healing: The Complete Practitioner's Guide-Hazel Raven
    Introduction to Mineral Exploration-Charles Moon
    An Introduction to the Rock-Forming Minerals-R.A. Howie

These are some very worth while books to read or to own.

Question

I'm still a bit new to all of this, so far I have a book by Judy Hall, The Crystal Bible and I have Crystal Magic by Scott Cunningham. What do you all suggest for the next book I get? I'm studying about crystals right now before I continue on with studying about other forms of magic. I'm using the crystals for healing and for totems. There's so many books I see and I can never make up my mind on what to buy next. Anyone have any suggestions?

Be Gentle With The Earth

Quote Originally Posted by MoonAmethyst View Post
    I'm still a bit new to all of this, so far I have a book by Judy Hall, The Crystal Bible and I have Crystal Magic by Scott Cunningham. What do you all suggest for the next book I get? I'm studying about crystals right now before I continue on with studying about other forms of magic. I'm using the crystals for healing and for totems. There's so many books I see and I can never make up my mind on what to buy next. Anyone have any suggestions?
    anything by Melody.

also a book of crystal identification. they can be found at Barnes & Noble,Borders and most large Museums of Natural History. The American museum of natural history is one place. actually if you can get there you can bring in specimens to the geology section to have it identified.

also try wikipedia. Now bear in mind this is not the greatest place to find info. but simple knowledge in geological info is good there and they sometimes have good pics. if the place has listings for metaphysical aspects then i wouldn't suggest to use it.

also check in the database on here to see if you missed anything. as there is some good stuff there.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Thank you for the info, I'll try looking around online. I'm already planning on ordering a few book's offline, if I come across anything new I'll add it to the forum if I find any good places about information of crystals and pictures.

Be Gentle With The Earth

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4