Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Books about Stones: Mineralogy/Gemology/Metaphysical/Healing

Well this was something of a shock when a friend told me about it... seems like Melody has come out with "Love Is in the Earth - the Crystal and Mineral Encyclopedia - the Little Fantastic and the Last Testament: The Encyclopedia Describing the Metaphysical and Mineralogical Properties of the Mineral Kingdom".

From what I am told it combines all her other books into one plus adds some new info. Rumour has it it weighs 9.5 pounds . Seems like Barns & Noble is the only place I can find it right now (and Exquisite Minerals carries it as well but for $20.00 more than the price listed below) amazon does not list it. Either way this might well be her difinative work and anyone interested in stones and their properties might want to look into it.. seems like the price right now is around $79.00.

It's 978 pages and it looks like the release date is set for Jan. 08
    Last edited by Wolfsong; December 30th, 2007 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaDragon View Post

Anyway - to stay on topic, here's my collection:

Cunningham's Crystal, Gem and Metal Magic (my first)
    Judy Hall's Crystal Bible
    Corrine Kenner's Crystals for Beginners (actually useful lulu book!)
    Gerina Dunwich's Gemstone Sorcery (not so much, but has some useful info in it)
    Jennie Harding's Guide to Crystals (very simple format)
    Peschek-Bohmer & Schreiber's Healing Crystals and Gemstones
    Barbara Walker's Book of Sacred Gemstones
    Just got Dunwich's book today. It has some good useful info in it. gleemed it's selection for stones for each Sabbat almost entirely from Edin McCoy's Sabbats,but she used other sources as the list in her book were slightly different from McCoy's book. After a quick breeze through it, it's geared towards ceremonial magic rather than a pagan approach ,although it does have elements of paganism in it as the Sabbats section. A good book to use in working magic.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Well this was something of a shock when a friend told me about it... seems like Melody has come out with "Love Is in the Earth - the Crystal and Mineral Encyclopedia - the Little Fantastic and the Last Testament: The Encyclopedia Describing the Metaphysical and Mineralogical Properties of the Mineral Kingdom".
    Ah I knew that was going to happen... And I look forward to getting a copy :D

Are there any good identification books?
    I'm looking for something that will show stones, crystals, and such in all their natual settings (matrix) and not just there "best" specimens.
    The 2 "better" ones I have now are:
    National Audubon Society, Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals
    Handbook Of Rocks Minerals & Gemstones by Walter Schumann

Thanks!
    We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
    (\_/) (\_/)
    (O.o) ( _ )
    (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
    Green Room Forum Guide
    The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm hunting up the copies I have through Books-a-Million online, my copies are scattered all over.
    http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/bo...sbn=0756609623
    http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/bo...sbn=0789489856

Those two I can immediately find - I need to get my books listed at LibraryThing sometime soon.

Do you intend to rockhound on your own? Depending on where you are interested in going, there's a few books of the rocks you will find in states like Arizona, Northern California, and Nevada.

try here:
    http://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop/....php?catID=545
    http://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop/....php?catID=554

Good luck!

mamma dragon

I've always relied on the National Audubon Society, Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals for field identification.

Well, at least I have 1 good one!

I'll take a look at what MammaDragon has too.

Thanks!
    We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
    (\_/) (\_/)
    (O.o) ( _ )
    (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
    Green Room Forum Guide
    The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Suiseki: The Asian Art of Beautiful Stones by Willi Benz

I just found this at a used book store and it's a great read. Most of the information in it can easily be made to fit the western mindset and it gives truely valuable information on natural rock formatons and how they are percieved.

The Bad news is it is out of print but the good news is it still can be found on sites like Amazon... hopefully it will be reprinted at some point.
    Last edited by Wolfsong; April 27th, 2008 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post
    This is not really the case...

Amethyst and Citrine both are created naturally by backround radiation and not direct heat... a long process. Also, Natural Citrine is created from Quartz which contains trace amounts of Iron impurites.. Amethyst does not but owes its color to other trace elements.

The creation process in nature is much different from the process man uses and takes place over a much longer amount of time.

Although there are properties which both share there are more differences.

One last point (and this is just a personal observation/opinion) saying Natural Citrine is "just" a heat treated Amethyst is for me reducing a natural process and beautiful natural creation and saying it is equal to a man-made replica.... that just doen't sit right with me... but that's just me
    amen. couldnt have said it better
    Last edited by CzechWoods; July 12th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.

Oh, I have to update my recommendations and completely agree with those who recommended "The Book of Stones" By Robert Simmons & Naisah Ahsian. It's a fairly comprehensive book that doesn't make the same vague generalisations (some of which are far-fetched, to say the least) as Melody.

OT: I'm actually considering selling Melody's books. If I do, I'll mention it on MW.

ETA: And when I get home (currently at work) I'll post some recommendations for good reference/identification books. I have some good ones, but I can't remember the titles/authors off of the top of my head.
    Last edited by elfmage; July 14th, 2008 at 07:15 PM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

.: Links :.
    [Deviant Art] [MySpace] [My Blog]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast