Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pagan Themed Fiction

Pagan Themed Fiction

Two of my favorite fiction books are The Red Lion by Maria Szepes and The Way of Wyrd by Brian Bates. Does anyone know of any fiction books of a similar vein that are worth checking out? I have a hard time finding these types of books I can get into because I dont really care much for the typical knight and dragon fantasy. I would really appreciate any recommendations.

is offline Now I know there is no before, nor after
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesen View Post
    Two of my favorite fiction books are The Red Lion by Maria Szepes and The Way of Wyrd by Brian Bates. Does anyone know of any fiction books of a similar vein that are worth checking out? I have a hard time finding these types of books I can get into because I dont really care much for the typical knight and dragon fantasy. I would really appreciate any recommendations.

I'm not familiar with those books.

But I do know some non-knight-and-dragon fantasies that I would recommend.

-Jaqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy books (There's one completed trilogy, and another one with it's second book slated for release in June)

-Kristen Britain's Green Rider books

-I believe it was Sara Douglas that wrote a couple of books based on Greek mythology, I don't know titles offhand though.

-Elizabeth Hand's Waking The Moon- this book is addictive. I think I went through withdraw when it was over. Contemporary setting

-Kelly Armstrong's Women Of The Otherworld books- I've read Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic so far. Again, they're contemporary fantasy, fun to read. They're not actually pagan themed though.

-I haven't read any of her books...but a lot of these look interesting: http://www.pccast.net/

Dion Fortune wrote several including The Secrets of Dr Taverner (which IIRC you can find in PDF format online fairly easily), The Sea Priestess, Moon Magic, and The Goat Foot God. Gerald Gardner wrote A Goddess Arrives, and High Magic's Aid. There are some other Pagan authors of Fiction at http://www.adherents.com/lit/sf_other.html#Pagan

You can also Google "Pagan fiction" by clicking this link - http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22pagan+fiction%22 - and find a ton of links to lists of Pagan fiction books.
    Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Last edited by Philosophia; December 4th, 2006 at 07:13 PM.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

hmmm most of the fantasy fiction I read is pagan orientated... Unless you're after Pagan authors...

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Thank you all for the suggestions. I just started reading one of Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea books and so far its better then I thought it was gonna be so maybe they will keep me busy for a while. Thanks again.

Thanks for those great links MM, I'm always looking for new books.

I just read a good, well-written fantasy called
    Firethorn
    that was paganish/medievalish. I can't wait for the sequel.
    Last edited by _Banbha_; December 6th, 2006 at 01:02 PM. Reason: fix link

I recommend all of the Deverry books by Katherine Kerr, and her Westland series as well (which is part of the Deverry series). Also, the Eileanan books by Kate Forsythe.
    Our Rules|Copyright Policy |FAQ

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
    It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
    And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
    Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

~From Ulysses, by Alfred Lord Tennyson

I agree with Fiamma, when she recommended Kelly Armstrong, her books, Industrial Magic, Dime Store Magic, Haunted, Stolen, etc are all great, although she's not a Pagan as far as i know, and it's not really Pagan-themed, but they're still cool.

You can check out her site here, http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/.

Starhawk's "The Fifth Sacred Thing" is a decent read....futuristic setting.

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Nature is an infinite sphere of which the center is everywhere and the circumference nowhere. - Blaise Pascal

The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent upon it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.- Galileo

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast