Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Pagan Themed Fiction

I really like Pauline Gedge's books. They aren't specifically Pagan-themed, but most of them take place in ancient Egypt (except "The Eagle and the Raven," which is Celtic), so the religious aspects are mentioned. Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series is good too.

I picked up a trilogy by Moyra Caldecott at a used bookstore

They're interesting from a pagan point of view. A little new-agey. It's called the Sacred Stones Trilogy. I don't know if they're still in print. My copy was printed in 1977.

The story is about Druid priests in ancient England and a couple of children, one of whom is destined to become a druid priestess. The first book spends a lot of time discussing the various lessons the children must learn about life, death, nature and humanity. It reminds me of the way the Celestine Prophecy teaches concepts in story form. The second and third books go more into storytelling. They do get a little silly and fluffy in parts, but all in all they're interesting.

Depends on what variety of Pagan-themed stuff you're after - the only things set in a modern time and place that I've read that are specifically Pagan themed (and still with Hollywood style magic rather than real-life Pagans) are the books in Marion Zimmer-Bradley's series of books that end in -light: Witchlight, Ghostlight... somethingelselight... I like them better than Mists of Avalon, though, oddly enough

If you like Pagan-with-a-somewhat-Celtic-fantasy-or-historical-fiction feel, the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier and The White Mare (part of another trilogy) by Jules Watson are fun. I love both sets of books, but they're to my taste, whereas they may not be for others - they're kind of romance-y and a bit fanciful, but hey, I like 'em
    I'm amazed by Jules Watson's ability to write a female lead whom I can't stand for most of the book but love by the end

ANNE BISHOP!

I would also recommend Diana Marcellas, but I'd hate for you to be in the predicament that I'm currently in. Tor didn't pick up the books and her fans are left hanging halfway through her story, since it's a series.

Jim Butcher's Codex Alera is pretty good, as are his Dresden Files (soon to be on Sci Fi channel as a series!).

David Farland's Runelords series is excellent.

Sherri S. Tepper is always excellent. Try her Grass novel and the subsequent ones that are connected to it (though not really sequels). I really love The Family Tree. And, if you can find them, the books of the True Game (there are a total of 9).

For something different & not fantasy related try our own M.R. Sellars!
    :fpraise: All hail the mighty SEARCH function! :fpraiseyo

See the completed cards from the MW Tarot Project @ the link below:

If "a gentle touch speaks volumes" imagine what a bitch-slap can do! ~ me

These author's weren't mentioned so I absolutely have to since they are so amazing. Patricia A. McKillip is an amazing fantasy writer. Her writing is based on ancient fairy tales and folklore and incorporates many pagan beliefs, folk-magic as well as fairy-faith. My top recommendations for her books are The Riddle Master trilogy, Winter Rose & Solstice Wood, Od Magic - ah hell just read them all!!

Other favourites I highly recommend to pagans are Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series (Welsh & British folklore), Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea series (quoted by Starhawk), Rudyard Kipling's Puck of Pook's Hill (astoundingly full of pagan lore - a favourite of Doreen Valiente), as well as anything by Robin McKinley.

Slainte!
    Lolair

Anne Kelleher and PC Cast are two good ones. There's some others but the names don't spring to mind.

My Author Page
    That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always.

Rumor has it that Sellars guy has a few pagan themed suspense-thrillers out. I haven't actually read any of them though.

Murv
    M. R. Sellars
    Author of The Rowan Gant Investigations
    Harm None * Never Burn A Witch * Perfect Trust * The Law Of Three * Crone's Moon * Love Is The Bond * All Acts Of Pleasure * The End Of Desire * Blood Moon * Miranda (Coming 2009)
    www.mrsellars.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fiamma View Post

-Jaqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy books (There's one completed trilogy, and another one with it's second book slated for release in June)
    Good call. My favorite book(s). As a matter of fact, it's where my name came from. (Raphael no Gentian)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsellars View Post
    Rumor has it that Sellars guy has a few pagan themed suspense-thrillers out. I haven't actually read any of them though.

Murv

He beat me to gushing over him myself ... darn good stuff.

I'd also suggest Marie Brennan. I think she has two novels so far, Doppelganger and Warrior and Witch. (which MUST be read in order!!!)

I am the religious right. Just not the religion most people expect.

Contrary to popular belief, Hello Kitty is not my totem animal.

A wayfarer should not walk unarmed, But have his weapons to hand: He knows not when he may need a spear, Or what menace meet on the road. ~~Havamal #38
    Become the change you wish to see in the world.
    The Cellar

Gushing? I can't say as that I've ever had anyone gush over me before. Thanks! *Grin*

So, are you going to swing by and say hello to Dorothy and me at Moonstones next month?

Murv
    M. R. Sellars
    Author of The Rowan Gant Investigations
    Harm None * Never Burn A Witch * Perfect Trust * The Law Of Three * Crone's Moon * Love Is The Bond * All Acts Of Pleasure * The End Of Desire * Blood Moon * Miranda (Coming 2009)
    www.mrsellars.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast