Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Pagan Themed Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug1258 View Post
    I'm completely stunned to find posts by him in this thread and my ears are ringing with this knowledge now running through my head.

Sellars is here? Where?! I need to punch him right in the nose, the $%$%^$$@@#!

Murv
    M. R. Sellars
    Author of The Rowan Gant Investigations
    Harm None * Never Burn A Witch * Perfect Trust * The Law Of Three * Crone's Moon * Love Is The Bond * All Acts Of Pleasure * The End Of Desire * Blood Moon * Miranda (Coming 2009)
    www.mrsellars.com

Here are some recommendations from me (these are Pagan/Fantasy themed books):
    • Vengeance of the Gods Series (1. Manhunt, 2. The Divine Worshipper) by Christian Jacq
    • For the Love of Philae by Christian Jacq
    • The Black Jewels Trilogy (1. Daughter of the Blood, 2. Heir to the Shadows, 3. Queen of the Darkness) by Anne Bishop
    • The Atlantis Trilogy (1. Heart of the Dragon, 2. Jewel of Atlantis, 3. The Nymph King) by Gena Showalter
    • Prophecy: The Awakening by A.M. Scott

Might add some more later.

I've read SM Sterling's first post-apocalyptic "Change" trilogy of Dies the Fire, The Protector's War and A Meeting at Corvallis - the first has one character group of Wiccans, the next two get more involved and deeper into the religion as the stories get more political. Now that I'm reading his second trilogy that takes place about 10 years after A Meeting at Corvallis, the characters involvement with Wicca is a lot bigger and more frequent throughout the books which are The Sunrise Lands, The Scourge of God, and the third is yet to be written.

Sterling's books are basically a Wiccan SCA member's wet dream. What would happen if the world as we know it basically ended and we were stuck with prehistoric technology - apparently the Wiccans and SCA members survive the best. The books are an amazing look at how history and legend work and the evolution of the Wiccan religion in the changed world is quite something to read. Imagine the next generation taking everything literally and quite seriously that we practice as symbolic...

Me and my two best friends are slightly obsessed with this series...

If you like paranormal romance, try Karen Marie Moning Highlander series. There's Druids in it. Hot, manly druids...
    Oh and sexy faes.
    It's not sappy romance, there's loads of action, adventure and witty writing (she's a great writer. Several of her books have made the New York Times bestseller list, one made #3).

If you want something darker, grittier, try her new Fever series (which is currently being optioned for a movie).

I also recommend Gena Showalters Lord of the Underworld series (didn't quite like her other books as much).
    There's demons, angels (or will be), gods, goddesses, etc.

If you want something of the Egyptian variety try Marisa Chenery's Mahes. You can get it in e-book form. I have a copy but haven't gotten a chance to read it. I've heard it's a really good story.
    Last edited by Liberty; March 24th, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
    My greatest power is my mind.

My Blog Associated Content The Daily Cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    If you like paranormal romance, try Karen Marie Moning Highlander series. There's Druids in it. Hot, manly druids...
    Oh and sexy faes.
    It's not sappy romance, there's loads of action, adventure and witty writing (she's a great writer. Several of her books have made the New York Times bestseller list, one made #3).

If you want something darker, grittier, try her new Fever series (which is currently being optioned for a movie).

I also recommend Gena Showalters Lord of the Underworld series (didn't quite like her other books as much).
    There's demons, angels (or will be), gods, goddesses, etc.

If you want something of the Egyptian variety try Marisa Chenery's Mahes. You can get it in e-book form. I have a copy but haven't gotten a chance to read it. I've heard it's a really good story.
    Thanks for those recommendations, I definitely want to check out that Lord of the Underworld book and maybe Fever.

Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    Thanks for those recommendations, I definitely want to check out that Lord of the Underworld book and maybe Fever.
    Oh you should really check out Fever. It's all about Faes, celtic myths and druids. It's all set in the modern world though, which makes it more interesting, at least for me. The Fever series is different from her Highlander series in that it's not actually a romance but more of a general paranormal fiction. It's also written in first person. The main character is the one telling the story and she's a sidhe-seer. Like I said, very dark and gritty.
    My greatest power is my mind.

My Blog Associated Content The Daily Cougar

I looked through the whole list and many of the books I know of have already been listed. There is a series that I would add, though:

Heart Mate
    Heart Thief
    Heart Choice
    Heart Quest
    Heart Dance
    Heart Fate
    Heart Change

The series is by Robin D. Owens and it is a romance series. A group leaves Earth to seek their own world to believe and practice their faith freely. A very nice planet with a full world image.

RLFaller Guest
    Can't remember if these were mentioned or not. The Elemental Masters by Mercedes Lackey. She re-writes fairy-tales but gives the main characters elemental magic. I read the third one and found it quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiamma View Post
    I'm not familiar with those books.

But I do know some non-knight-and-dragon fantasies that I would recommend.

-Jaqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy books (There's one completed trilogy, and another one with it's second book slated for release in June)

-Kristen Britain's Green Rider books

-I believe it was Sara Douglas that wrote a couple of books based on Greek mythology, I don't know titles offhand though.

-Elizabeth Hand's Waking The Moon- this book is addictive. I think I went through withdraw when it was over. Contemporary setting

-Kelly Armstrong's Women Of The Otherworld books- I've read Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic so far. Again, they're contemporary fantasy, fun to read. They're not actually pagan themed though.

-I haven't read any of her books...but a lot of these look interesting: http://www.pccast.net/
    The Kristin Britain books are great.

Sara Douglass Series:
    Axis trilogy
    1: Battle Axe (Wayfarer Redemption Book 1 in US)
    2: Enchanter
    3: Starman
    Wayfarer trilogy
    1:Sinner
    2: Pilgrim
    3: Crusader

Great books, unbelievable books, loved em.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At some point I said that life should be more like, robocop riding a unicorn that happens to be defecating rainbows...

Well life just got a little bit better.

"Take a picture of an electron in one instant and again the next, it will have seen Andromeda, do the same for me, and I will have taken the same trip."

I continue to battle my word processor in hopes of producing something useful...

Forum Guide in New Pagans
    Don't forget to Adopt your n00bie!

I have been by Bear Dancing

I'm gonna have to suggest Daughters of the moon series ( its thirteen books ) but hell its good ..

its about these friends who all turn out be sent to earth by the moon goddess to protect the earthlings from the dark lord Atrox , who wants to regain his bodily form as it he can do much more damage and be more powerful in his bodily form then shadow form ..

its actually really good ..i want to actually reread it all over again all 13 books

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast