Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Pagan Themed Fiction

The series of books "Hallowed Isles" and "Wodan's Children" all by Diana L. Paxson. Marion Zimmer Bradley has written many pagan themed novels such as "Firebrand" and the "Avalon" series, and she'd co-written some of her novels with Diana L. Paxson.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

No one has mentioned Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series:

The Curse of Chalion
    Paladin of Souls
    The Wild Hunt

The main religion in the novels is extremely important to the plot in all three books. Basically, there are five gods: the Mother, the Father, the Daughter, the Son, and the Bastard, each deity is connected to a season (except the Bastard, who rules all things "out of season"). The novels don't have to be read in a particular order, but there are some references to events that occurred during Curse of Chalion in Paladin of Souls. The Wild Hunt stands alone, though.

I'm not sure these books really count as 'Pagan fiction' but they certainly contain Pagan ideas within them. When I read them as a young teenager said ideas really resonated with me.

Phillip Pullmans His Dark Material Trilogy:
    The Northern Lights (The Golden Compass, US)
    The Subtle Knife
    The Amber Spyglass

All the characters in one of the worlds of the novels have personal Daemons; animal spirits who basically represent their spirit/soul. There's also the idea of Fetches (as death portents) called ones 'Death', and a bleaker view of the after life -- there's an appearence made by the Erinyes of Greek mythology. As well as altered states of conciousness, regal witches, and travel between worlds. There's some Christian reference but it's within a more negative framework... saying anymore would be spoilery. They're fantasic books at any rate. They'll always have a place of honour on my bookself!
    Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe.
    Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you.
    Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature.
    From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return.

Marcus Aurelius

Okay this isn't Pagan but it sure is witchy -- I'm reading The Wise Woman by Philippa Gregory, author of The Other Boleyn Girl. The book is awesome and contains lots of good witchy info - especially the naughty kind, so be warned!

P.C. Cast- Her goddess summoning series is awesome. I'm not so found of her other series though they do have some pagan things in it too.
    For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'

John Greenleaf Whittier

Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change.

Malcolm X

The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

W. M. Lewis

Anyone who's Hellenic would probably love Black Ships by Jo Graham.

I'm reading these right now, they have a Celtic overtone to them.

Truthseeker - CE Murphy
    Gifted with an uncanny intuition, Lara Jansen nonetheless thinks there is nothing particularly special about her. All that changes when a handsome but mysterious man enters her quiet Boston tailor shop and reveals himself to be a prince of Faerie. What’s more, Dafydd ap Caerwyn claims that Lara is a truthseeker, a person with the rare talent of being able to tell truth from falsehood. Dafydd begs Lara to help solve his brother’s murder, of which Dafydd himself is the only suspect.

Acting against her practical nature, Lara agrees to step through a window into another world. Caught between bitterly opposed Seelie forces and Dafydd’s secrets, which are as perilous as he is irresistible, Lara finds that her abilities are increasing in unexpected and uncontrollable ways. With the fate of two worlds at stake and a malevolent entity wielding the darkest of magic, Lara and Dafydd will risk everything on a love that may be their salvation—or the most treacherous illusion of all.

Shapeshifter - Holly Bennett
    Sive has received genetic gifts from each of her magical parents. From her mother she has inherited a soaring voice capable of (literally) enchanting those who listen. From her father she has the ability to shift into animal shape. That paternal gift may be the only thing to save her once she is noticed by the evil dark lord Far Doirche, who has plans to enthrall her and use her voice to build an empire. Bennett returns to familiar Celtic ground in this rich, slightly revisionist retelling of an ancient Irish legend. Basic human emotions—fear, love, greed—move the tale along, and short first-person narratives that personalize the action are interspersed throughout. Some will stumble over the Irish names, but Bennett thoughtfully includes a pronunciation guide as well as notes on the more traditional version of Sive's story. Offer this to fans of Bennett's earlier book, The Warrior's Daughter (2007), as well as those in search of shape-shifters or Celtic legends.

Also, of similar interest:
    Giants of the Frost by Kim Wilkins (Norse myth)
    Mabinogion Tetralogy by Evangeline Walton (novelization of Welsh myth)
    Black Swan Rising by Lee Carroll
    The Thrall's Tale by Judith Lindbergh (incorporates some Norse gods)

I know of tons of others...

http://cruel-fate.org/wp/?page_id=14

A list I made up of Paranormal Fiction authors.

Pagan Fiction sometimes falls under that.

Hope it helps anyone.

Oh, and if anyone hasn't mentioned it (I'm too lazy to back read) check out Madelyn Alt's Bewitching series. It's more for women, but, it sheds modern day Pagans in a fun light and they are short and fun reads.

I love that series.

I'll admit I'm lazy so sorry if this was posted. I just read this a couple weeks ago and it is a good book I just have a few personal problems with. Putting those aside its a good book. Loki by Mike Vasish.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast