Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Literally the most comprehensive Wiccan/Witchcraft site on the web.

During the Burning Times, an estimated nine million people (some of whom were undoubtedly Witches, but the majority were innocents that composed the Midwives (whose role was being sought by the newer male dominated medical profession of the Doctors), the elderly and infirm, those that nowadays would be considered Eccentric (the old woman living alone in the woods), the victims of land greed (the accusers were usually able to gain hold of the alleged Witches property once s/he had been convicted) amongst others!) were killed by their Christian brothers, sisters, spouses and neighbours. Even today you cannot publicly announce the fact that you are a Witch without fear of severe and often brutal repercussions, depending on where you live in the world. But the times are changing and the Goddess is re-awakening. The power of Herne is calling to us, children of the Earth, and many of us are answering, but not with vengeance or hatred. We are answering with the Witch's Rede:

An' it harm none, do what thou will
    Did anyone catch this little tidbit? I think this site is not reliable and in general untrustworthy.

In addition I find its magical advise to be a little shallow and what exercises I saw seem to be copied directly from the works of others.
    Amelserru_halqu

It is only by losing oneself that one finds one's way.

Wandering randomly,
    I know not what I seek.
    In my madness,
    I know not where I go.
    The wanderer, in his perplexity.
    Observes the unexpected.

-Vast Obscurity,
    from the works of Chuang Tzu

This site and two other sites (The Weatherwax Cottage and Spirit Online) were what got me started on Wicca. The font is a bit icky, for some reason the midi's don't work anymore which I find unfortunate cause I loved them all, but I like what it has to say. I'll still drop back in and look at all from time to time.

is offline Now I know there is no before, nor after
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Westenn View Post
    This site and two other sites (The Weatherwax Cottage and Spirit Online) were what got me started on Wicca. The font is a bit icky, for some reason the midi's don't work anymore which I find unfortunate cause I loved them all, but I like what it has to say. I'll still drop back in and look at all from time to time.

I'm curious as to some specific examples of what you like about it?

Could you please provide links for the other two sites, I'm not able to find them online - although I seem to remember a site that may have been called Spirit Online. I'm really curious about The Weatherwax Cottage - I love the Terry Pratchett Disc World series.

This site is pretty decent: http://www.twpt.com
    of course I love http://www.luckymojo.com
    Last edited by Teresa; December 11th, 2006 at 03:32 PM.
    ~Magic and Rituals & Advanced Paganism Forum Guide~
    ~Paths: Palo, Santeria, Hoodoo, Voodoo Forum Guide~
    Thanks Catiana and Athena-Nadine for the beautiful banners!

I am the daughter of earth and water, and nursling of the sky; I pass through the pores of the ocean and shores; I change but cannot die.{Percy Bysshe Shelley}

RIP Tony
    05/25/67 - 06/22/08
    You are my Angel

So just because they have a few errors on their page they are unreliable? Considering most of the history hasn't been documented properly, we can't say for sure what exactly happened. What, besides the 9 million remark do you all consider wrong in the history? No one should only read one book or one webpage and considered themselves to know all they need to know about a subject anyways. When they have read many accounts of history, they will start to differentiate what may be right and what is for certain wrong.

Also the title of that page is "Another View of History," because just as I said, there are a few views since we can't prove a lot of things.

About the spelling of Magick, what is wrong with it? Just because you don't believe in changing the spelling doesn't mean every *Pagan* who does is wrong or stupid or doesn't take is seriously. Whether or not Aleister Crowley had anything to do with it or if we should listen to him, I like spelling is with a K and it does differentiate it for me.

I'd really like to discuss this more with anybody.
    Kathleen
    Christian Witch - formerly Moonlight Morgan - now searching a NEW name.
    Mom of 5, Canadian
    Where I Blog

Greetings to all who have posted in this thread, I am new to Mystic Wicks, and signed up to give our replies to those that have posted here. My name is Suzanne, aka Bonesigaur, aka Redwytch, aka Silver Dove, co-owner and writer of the Silver Wolf's Lair website thats been under discussion here!

Words cannot describe the glowing 5 stars I give for this website. Without a shadow of doubt this is, in my mind, the best Wiccan/Witchcraft website on the web. I remember even e-mailing the creator(s) and telling them they seriously needed to just take it down, compile it into a book, find an agent and publish. Though they still practice a form of Paganism/Witchcraft and do not identify as Wiccan and probably won't take my suggestion(albeit years old now) the review still stands.

Not only good for newbies but also wonderful for people that have been on the circuit for a long time.

I hope Silverdove and Spiritwolf's lair never ever gets taken down.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spiritwolf/
    Hi Jeremy, many thanks for the vote of confidence, rest assured that although we did once remove the site (as it no longer corresponds to our current path and our understanding has grown since it was first written in 2001), it is firmly in place now, you could say, 'back by popular demand!'

Quote Originally Posted by Fiamma View Post
    this is all I needed to not be able to take them seriously:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spiritw...an_history.htm
    Hi Fiamma, the page in question was written as an attempt to bring together what we knew at the time into a way that gave the basics as we understood them AT THAT TIME, in a manner that would be fairly easy for those who were new to paganism to understand. I do acknowledge that much of the information upon that page does need to be revisited, not only from our current viewpoint, but also from the fact that we have learnt much and more knowledge has become available over the past 6 years, but the original writing stands for the moment as I have not had time / energy or inclination to redo it as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    I guess this is one of those YMMV moments. The blue on black text is unreadable, the music on every page is annoying, and the information that I checked (divination, for example) was questionable.

Good reference for 'why I'm not a Wiccan' discussions, perhaps.
    Text colours and font were chosen to be the best available compromise of the way we wanted the site to 'feel' and to allow dyslexic's the best chance of being able to read it. My OH is dyslexicm and finds (as research has shown) that there are many colour combinations that make it much easier for him to read the text, the colours chosen are one of these combinations. (Another is black text on cyan or magenta background, which he has his desktop set as, so be glad we didnt go with that!)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgandria View Post
    Utterly unreadable site - it gives me a headache just looking at it. And any site with built-in midi sound I am instantly turned off by.
    I appreciate you dont like MIDI files, but thats what the volume switch is for! We both felt that the choice of midi enhanced the sites presentation and feel, so added them, many folks have fed back that they enjoy them, so its down to personal preference I suppose. Personally I think somewhere such as Meadows of Elfhame (http://www.angelfire.com/wy/elfhame/meadows.html) would be a much poorer experience were the midi not present, but everyone has to make up their own mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentlover View Post
    Sorry, I try to respect others(okay, not always) and I try to take in all information without my personal bias to things. But it's statements like these that make me stop reading and say "Nope, not going down this rode".

Thankfully they didn't go with more horrid versions such as Magyck or Majick. *shudders*
    An explanation of the reason why the word is in common useage shouldnt be something that closes the mind! The word Magick is used all over the place, by many authors and on many sites as well as in many forums. Dont forget that the writings on our site were written from an Ecclectic Wiccan perspective, explaining things from what we knew, understood and felt at that time. Nowadays I dont care how you spell Magick / majik / whatever, nor whether you choose to practice it by that name, by terming it craft / arte / cunning lore / energy work / spellcraft / whatever, as long as it works for you, then thats what matters, isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    Argh! Why do people do that! Are they colour blind?!

<goes off to bite chunks of wood out of his work desk>
    Lol! V funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Amelserru_halqu View Post
    Did anyone catch this little tidbit? I think this site is not reliable and in general untrustworthy.

In addition I find its magical advise to be a little shallow and what exercises I saw seem to be copied directly from the works of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonmorgan View Post
    So just because they have a few errors on their page they are unreliable? Considering most of the history hasn't been documented properly, we can't say for sure what exactly happened. What, besides the 9 million remark do you all consider wrong in the history? No one should only read one book or one webpage and considered themselves to know all they need to know about a subject anyways. When they have read many accounts of history, they will start to differentiate what may be right and what is for certain wrong.

Also the title of that page is "Another View of History," because just as I said, there are a few views since we can't prove a lot of things.

About the spelling of Magick, what is wrong with it? Just because you don't believe in changing the spelling doesn't mean every *Pagan* who does is wrong or stupid or doesn't take is seriously. Whether or not Aleister Crowley had anything to do with it or if we should listen to him, I like spelling is with a K and it does differentiate it for me.

I'd really like to discuss this more with anybody.
    Hi MoonMorgan!

Thanks for your reply and kind words about our site!

To give an understanding of why our site was constructed in the first place means going back to our first tentative steps into the occult, through the study of ecclectic wicca, we very soon found ourselves asking questions of others that they could not answer, certain concepts can only be answered by deep thought and study on the part of the individual, so we started to write as a means of codifying our own beliefs, and in doing so began to wonder whether others who were also seeking their own answers would find our writings of use, so published them upon the web to see what happened! I was at pains to say in many places upon the site that the writings, info, conclussions and suppositions are nothing more than what we had found from our own enquiries, at that point, and that it was what worked for us, at that point in time. I also made certain to state that no-one should take anothers answers at face value, that every snippet you come across should be put through your own filters, thought about deeply for yourself and acted upon only when you have your own answers for yourself. A large portion of the site is designed to make you think for yourself, to make you ask your own questions and to find your own answers, not just to take things at face value, in the hopes that this would stimulate our visitors to further development of their own individual paths, but I'm not sure that all those who have visited the site have picked up on that.

It was written a long while ago now, when we were in our first year of study into Wicca, so a lot of what was written was exclusively from a Wiccan perspective, with what info we had at the time! I do acknowledge that some of the info (in light of what we have since learnt) is questionable, some is dependant upon the individuals viewpoint and some is supposition, but as much of the lore and info out there is based on what works for the individual rather than actual unprovable historic facts, then I have no problem with it!

We are planning to revisit most of the site, adding a BTW perspective to most of the pages, not to remove what was written, or even to rewrite it from our current perspective, but merely to show a different viewpoint, one written with more lore and knowledge, but time is currently short, and although it is something we want to do, there is no real hurry upon our part to undertake the work. After all, we stll get many emails from visitors telling us that a certain part or another has touched them deeply, so some must still find it of use in its current form! Another thing that we have to consider is just what to add in, some of the lore we have been entrusted with is oathbound, and cannot be shared with clear conscience, plus of course some information could be misconstrued or misunderstood if those who were to read it were not sufficiently experienced or prepared via the correct studies!

The only page we have fully revisited as yet is the What is a Witch page, which contains a second essay from the Traditional Witches perspective, which also covers some of the above points, perhaps you would care to take a look and let us know what you think?http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spiritw...is_a_witch.htm

Anyhows, thas to those whom have commented about our site, if you liked it, great, if not, well, I'm sure you will know of other sites that are more your cup of tea!

Blessed and Accursed May Ye Be!
    Suzanne
    Last edited by Bonesigaur; January 23rd, 2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: adding a link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2