View Poll Results: Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • UFOs

3 2.40%
  • Aliens

8 6.40%
  • Both

77 61.60%
  • Neither

8 6.40%
  • Maybe

22 17.60%
  • Other

7 5.60%
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Believe in UFOs and/or Aliens?

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey

Believe in UFOs and/or Aliens?

Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens? Why?

If you don't believe in them, how do you explain the many sightings?

If you do believe in them, why do you think they "visit" Earth?

If you have seen them, why did you think they showed themselves to you?

Do you think they have had some influence over our history, i.e. Egyptian myths, etc.?
    Last edited by Philosophia; December 29th, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Yes I do. To keep it simple... The Univese to too large not to have some sort of other intelligent life out there. I don't think we're the only ones. We can't even explore all the parts of the Milky Way galaxy...Too many possibilities.

Plus when I was about nine my father and I saw a UFO in the sky one evening. Turns out tons of other people in the West Seattle area saw it too. And it's been seen in other parts of the world-- Europe, etc. I've seen articles saying it's not a UFO, but until the US Gov't comes out and shows the public an aircraft exactly like it...I'm going to wonder. I waver from being agnostic about my sighting to believing it was a UFO-- I'm sort of inbetween.

n/a

Yes, but probably not in the way that people claim they do. You know, the anal probes and all the X-Files-esque stuff. Do they abduct people or have they? Probably, but again...the whole alien abduction has become so cliche, it's always the same thing (read here). I doubt a lot of abduction claims nowadays. Oh there's also a theory that angels are really aliens...there are some similarities. A lot of people claim too see angels too.

ETA: I also don't think the aliens really look like what we think they do (the "Greys" and all of that). I don't know what they'd look like, but the image people claim too see is again, very cliche.

I've never seen an alien. Saw the UFO. I don't know why me or a good chunk of West Seattle saw it. If it was a real UFO, then I can't begin to think of what the aliens motives are.

Do you think they have had some influence over our history, i.e. Egyptian myths, etc.?
    Probably. I think they were visiting then more than now. I've oftened wondered if some gods and goddesses and myths were inspired by some alien encounter long ago and it just got told so many times it changed.
    There are sites that talk about aliens in the Bible (Ezekiel the most famous reference). I'm not saying all the deities are really aliens or aliens are our god. I'm just saying they could have seen these as Divine and it helped inspire aspects of the dieties...

Yup. Good questions Minverva!
    Last edited by Agaliha; December 29th, 2006 at 08:19 PM.

Yes. I saw a ufo.

I do believe in them.

It depends what sort of being you are talking about.

That's all they needed to do.

Things I have read would suggest so.

For the UFO's, yeah. If there are any flying objects we haven't identified then of course it's a UFO . Aliens flying them, not so much. The universe is so big that it would seem almost impossible not to have some other intelligent life out there.

Don't want to sound like a nut but at least some, maybe even most, are probably things the Air Force is testing out and they're probably not going to tell civilians what it is they're testing for one reason or another. Last week I heard a few people that used to build planes and stuff talking about how the technology we know about is a lot of times years or even decades behind the newest things they're working on.

There's a lot of myths and superstitions out there. I don't see how this is any different. If they made it this far they'd probably probing around, no pun intended :hehehehe:
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

UFO = Unidentified Flying Object... so basically anything can be a UFO until it is identified... how can anyone not believe in UFOs?

To I believe in extra-terrestrials? It's a possibility, though I think a great deal of people are going to be disappointed when they are found.

Do I believe extra-terrestrial life has visited Earth? It's a possibility, though I find it unlikely.

Most sightings come from people I have trouble believing, so I won't even go into that.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    Most sightings come from people I have trouble believing, so I won't even go into that.
    Having seen one, I can see why no-one would believe it. Did a couple of blogs on it actually. Link on sig.

Yes. I saw a ufo. Back in 1997 I was one of the many people that saw the "Phoenix Lights" and throughout my life I have spent a lot of time watching the night skies. There are a lot of odd things zipping about out there. http://www.cnn.com/US/9706/19/ufo.lights/

I do believe in them, but I can still answer this. Obviously not all the sitings of odd things in the night skies are really all that odd, it depends on whose definition of odd we are using. Of course it also doesn't help that the larger number of folks spotting UFOs are people that get turned down for Jerry Springer. However, not all the stories are tall tales told by the hopeful either.

For most, I think coming here is the equivalent to going cow tipping. Either that or a trip to the zoo. Then again, late at night, when I have had a few too many to drink, I pause to wonder if we aren't all just freaks in the sideshow to our visitors.

Well since it wasn't just me they showed themselves to, gods alone knows. Where they driving by to see what the bald monkey do in the springtime? Were they just looking for a great spot to make out? Maybe they were looking for snacks for the long trip to Orgasma 69? The truth is out there, but I have a hard enough time finding my car keys.

Skeptics agree with the USAF explanation that the Phoenix lights were simply slow falling, long burning flares dropped by an A-10 Warthog aircraft on a training exercise over Luke Air Force Base. Proponents of the spacecraft theory stated that the lights were over the city and not beyond the mountain where the Luke AFB was located. However, detailed analysis of the falling flares shows that they were actually beyond the mountain, as investigators discovered the lights vanished in line with the outline of the mountain. An investigation by Luke AFB itself also came to this conclusion and declared the case solved.

A video illustrating this was broadcast on a special on Fox Television stations about a year after the event. A copy of the original video was used in coordination with a video shot in the daytime from the exact same location. The two videos were merged into one on a frame by frame basis, so that the landmarks were always perfectly aligned. This allowed analysis of the lights regarding their apparent height above the mountain, and it was easily seen that the lights vanished in line with the outline of the mountain.

Oh of course, since they can starhop and we can't, its only natural we would have written them in from time to time. Humans really haven't changed all that much in the last few thousand years as far as our thinking, and look at how many movies and TV shows and books are put out about aliens every year. Not to mention video games. Where would we be without the many tales of the bug eyed monsters, the greens, the greys, Et, Predator VS Alien, etc. etc. etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by kotu View Post
    Having seen one, I can see why no-one would believe it. Did a couple of blogs on it actually. Link on sig.
    Exactly why I won't go into it... too easy to insult people.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    Exactly why I won't go into it... too easy to insult people.
    Too easy for you

One day

Quote Originally Posted by kotu View Post
    Too easy for you

One day
    I think you missed my meaning.

I meant that people that often sight UFOs are usually sensitive and jealous of their belief (largely due to ridicule or pure stubbornness)... so I leave it alone.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast