View Poll Results: Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • UFOs

3 2.40%
  • Aliens

8 6.40%
  • Both

77 61.60%
  • Neither

8 6.40%
  • Maybe

22 17.60%
  • Other

7 5.60%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Believe in UFOs and/or Aliens?

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    I think you missed my meaning.

I meant that people that often sight UFOs are usually sensitive and jealous of their belief (largely due to ridicule or pure stubbornness)... so I leave it alone.
    In that case please accept my apologies.

I have only seen one. It was mental. I don't care what anyone thinks about me, lol.

of course i believe! you think the gods would send me down here in a star trekian teleportation device???? i demand first class and a stylish ride!

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    i think a clarification of the definitions involved is required here, so...

i take the term 'alien' to mean life from other worlds visiting us here. after all, they wouldn't be aliens on their own world.
    so by that definition, my answer is no, i don't believe they have been here.
    but that doesn't mean i deny the existence of intelligent life on other planets. the numbers alone dictate that the odds are just too high for there not to be.

i take the term 'UFO' to mean unidentified flying objects. and by that definition i would have to say yes, i'm sure there are hundreds every day.
    however i do not believe that they are flying saucers from another world.

therefore i voted for "Neither".
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theres View Post
    i take the term 'UFO' to mean unidentified flying objects. and by that definition i would have to say yes, i'm sure there are hundreds every day.
    however i do not believe that they are flying saucers from another world.
    What do you think they are then?

New Iberia, LA desperately seeking real estate in Rivendell
    I voted "other."
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva Mind View Post
    Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens? Why?
    Somebody sees some flying object he can't identify? Happens all the time. By definition, he saw a UFO. Aliens? Well, I neither believe nor disbelieve. Given the mind-boggling size of the universe, I expect there are some out there. Are they intelligent? Maybe. I don't find the idea particularly odd. I think Carl Sagan said something like, "If we are alone in the universe, it's an awful waste of space."
    If you don't believe in them, how do you explain the many sightings?
    There are any number of possibilities. Woke Up Dead mentioned experimental aircraft, and I'm convinced that explains some sightings, but even familiar aircraft viewed from certain angles or in certain lighting can look pretty darn strange. Ever notice how many of these sightings occure around air bases?

Atmospheric phenomena are another explanation. From what I understand, our atmosphere can and does do some pretty strange things that most people just don't know about. Even the most intelligent and sincere person can make a mistake and misidentify something. Two other possibilities are people who are psychologically disturbed and those who are liars. Let me hasten to add I'm not accusing any members here of that. But many people have reported encounters. Odds are some of them have emotional problems and some of them are liars/hoaxers. In fact, we know some of them are because they've been caught.

Of course, maybe aliens really are visiting us, but I'm going to need more than anecdotes before I buy it. I'll need either a piece of alien technology or a body. And before anyone wastes bandwidth on Roswell, don't bother. I'm thoroughly convinced it's been debunked.
    "I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgement." -- Cora Munroe in Last of the Mohicans

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Conan the Barbarian in "Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard

"Moral outrage has little effect on a cat." -- Garrison Keillor

"There aren't many problems than can't be fixed
    with $700 and a .30-06." -- Jeff Cooper. Or maybe it was his daughter Lindy. I can't remember.

is offline The Treacherous Human Scumbag
    Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens? Why?
    UFOs, of course, though I see fewer and fewer of them as I learn to identify the generally-mundane new things I see in the sky now and then. The strange, unearthly flaming blue-green light I saw coming down over my hometown was a UFO when I saw it; now I know it was a launch vehicle reentering and burning up in the atmosphere. Anything up there that I can't identify is a UFO by definiton, though. I don't believe any of them are alien spacecraft, though.

Aliens? I believe there's life out there, considering how unspeakably vast the universe is and how many planets we've discovered just in the last decade. If there was (simple) life in the solar system itself off Earth, I would be greatly pleased but I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

If you don't believe in them, how do you explain the many sightings?
    Many are simple lack of understanding of what people have seen; many are people wishing to see something other than what they saw; some are hallucinations or otherwise results of psychological problems; some are deliberate lies.

Put simply, there's a whole lot of claims of sightings, but until there's something physically tangible, or something massively witnessed and verified, people have nothing but hearsay and anecdotes.

If you do believe in them, why do you think they "visit" Earth?
    I do not believe they have.

Do you think they have had some influence over our history, i.e. Egyptian myths, etc.?
    Probably. A meteorite, Tunguska event, or supernova at the righttime could shake up a lot of cultures.
    Patrick Stewart
    {Historian|Writer|Memeticist|Artist|Transhumanist|Blogger} {in}errant
    Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
    "Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds... to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." - Ellison S. Onizuka
    "The scorn of Nazis is a benediction." - Little Billy
    "Squick is not a valid moral compass." - Chamelaeon

Did I really just attack you?

Today's Logical Fallacy: Appeal to Consequences

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    The reason I asked about UFO's was because some people that I know don't believe in them, even if they do mean "Unidentified Flying Objects".
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

The reason I asked about UFO's was because some people that I know don't believe in them, even if they do mean "Unidentified Flying Objects".
    Some things will always be hard to wage faith in lest your own eyes see them

is offline The Treacherous Human Scumbag
    What, they don't believe they'll ever see anything in the sky that they can't immediately identify?

Man, I wish I had that kinda straight-out-the-womb knowledge..
    Patrick Stewart
    {Historian|Writer|Memeticist|Artist|Transhumanist|Blogger} {in}errant
    Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
    "Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds... to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." - Ellison S. Onizuka
    "The scorn of Nazis is a benediction." - Little Billy
    "Squick is not a valid moral compass." - Chamelaeon

Did I really just attack you?

Today's Logical Fallacy: Appeal to Consequences

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Quote Originally Posted by Zibblsnrt View Post
    What, they don't believe they'll ever see anything in the sky that they can't immediately identify?
    Man, I wish I had that kinda straight-out-the-womb knowledge..
    So would I...
    However, that is what they believe which is why I shaped the question as I did.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast