View Poll Results: Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • UFOs

3 2.40%
  • Aliens

8 6.40%
  • Both

77 61.60%
  • Neither

8 6.40%
  • Maybe

22 17.60%
  • Other

7 5.60%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Believe in UFOs and/or Aliens?

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Clair View Post
    I didn't say the government created the word aliens I said they chose to call these being aliens. Which I just don't think is the right word for them. The government gives names to everything just like Nasa does.

You miss understood. I hope that clears it up .

My thoughts on Atlantis were that these being affected them.
    If memory serves me correctly, Atlantis was said to exist 12,000 years ago, or was that 12,000bc?

either way, taking into account the supposed age of mankind, there is plenty of room in there for it....

Not that Atlantis didn't exsist during the time it did with mankind.
    sorry, I did misunderstand, my bad.

as for Atlantis......

I meant to say that there was enough time for us to get as sophisticated as Plato described and then start over to present day

btw, Atlantis, The Eighth Continent, by Charles Berlitz, although extremely out there, is a very interesting book
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens? Why?
    I believe that life outside Earth is possible if not a statistical surety; but I find UFOs as in Intelligent Alien Spacecraft as being very unlikely.

IF there are Aliens that can visit Earth, they would have to conquer a few problems that face humanity.

Such as the Laws of General Relativity; It would seem apparent that they would possess faster than light travel, which would mean physics as we know it are wrong and/or incomplete. Or they have not only discovered but have control over Exotic Matter or something akin to it.

The latter is more likely, and possible I suppose.

If you don't believe in them, how do you explain the many sightings?
    Plenty of reasons ranging from Sleep Paralysis to intoxicant induced hallucination. Mistaken identity to psychosis.

Do you think they have had some influence over our history, i.e. Egyptian myths, etc.?
    Nope. They only reasons to believe such a thing are sketchy at best.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Oh thanks, I'll have to check that book out on Atlantis.

http://mailartinternational.forumco.com/default.asp
    I trade so much my address is "The Post Office"
    I enjoy trading atc's, collage pages, traveling journals, matchbox fills, pen pal letters, postcards and much more.............

A non believer amoungst us?

Many believed the Earth was flat for a long long time.
    I'm sure they can held a few humanity problems.

http://mailartinternational.forumco.com/default.asp
    I trade so much my address is "The Post Office"
    I enjoy trading atc's, collage pages, traveling journals, matchbox fills, pen pal letters, postcards and much more.............

Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens? Why? I've seen strange things, and those close to me has seen things in the sky.

If you have seen them, why did you think they showed themselves to you?
    Perhaps to let us know they're here. Or we spotted them by accident.

Do you think they have had some influence over our history, i.e. Egyptian myths, etc.?
    Yes I believe someone or something did.
    Land of the lost forests
    Ghosts of the wolves
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

is offline The Treacherous Human Scumbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Clair View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, Atlantis was said to exist 12,000 years ago, or was that 12,000bc?
    Neither; Atlantis was an allegory, whose only mention in the historical record was a pair of dialogues by Plato upon which every other reference is based. Any "facts" about it not contained in Timaeus or Critias are frankly fabrications. Considering Plato claims Athens was (A) around and (B) in conflict with it before the Egyptians or Mesopotamians formed settled societies, I'm going to call this one fiction.

It didn't exist, or if it did, it was an extremely mythologized version of one Bronze Age society or another and thus not that advanced or utopian.
    Last edited by Zibblsnrt; February 23rd, 2008 at 02:34 PM.
    Patrick Stewart
    {Historian|Writer|Memeticist|Artist|Transhumanist|Blogger} {in}errant
    Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
    "Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds... to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." - Ellison S. Onizuka
    "The scorn of Nazis is a benediction." - Little Billy
    "Squick is not a valid moral compass." - Chamelaeon

Did I really just attack you?

Today's Logical Fallacy: Appeal to Consequences

Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens? Why? Simply put, yes. You'd have to be blind not to believe in Unidentified Flying Objects in the literal sense, but I'm not entirely sure that they're "alien" craft.

If you don't believe in them, how do you explain the many sightings? If they aren't physically real, they're certainly a real visual phenomenon. Didn't Jung have something to say about UFO's as a psychological or archetypal thing?

If you do believe in them, why do you think they "visit" Earth? Well IMHO, aliens exist. The universe is just too massive to have intelligent life on only a single planet in its entire reach. That being said, I'm not sure I believe we're being visited or observed. Humans can be amusing, but in a cosmic scale we're pretty darn boring.

If you have seen them, why did you think they showed themselves to you?
    In my experience, people who clam to have seen aliens in the flesh tend to be seen as A) delusional, B) attention seeking, or C) a deviant. While I'm fairly sure I haven't seen a physical alien, I enjoy the dreams where my house is surrounded by alien spacecraft, where I interact with alien beings, and where strange creatures tell me stories to write when I wake up. Some people would say that those dreams are evidence of friendly abduction or telepathic contact -- I concede the possibility, anyways.

Do you think they have had some influence over our history, i.e. Egyptian myths, etc.? Like the above, its certainly possible. Its my secret dream to find more evidence of lost civilizations and intelligent alien life, whether its landed here and interacted with human beings or not. There's two sides to the issue... you can see the bizzare cave drawings and carvings of the ancients as evidence of alien visitation and/or assistance, or you can see it as blooming imagination. I wonder what future civilizations will think of the fantastic creatures our science fiction and fantasy artists/writers have placed on paper. Maybe they'll wonder... "Were they visited by aliens?"

Well heck, maybe by that time they'll be buddy-buddy with the aliens anyways. Its funny to think that one day, our present will be ancient history. But I digress.

In summary: UFO's are awesome, and aliens are beyond awesome. I wouldn't keep writing novels about them if I thought they weren't -- I don't care if they really exist or not!

Iam not sure, maybe.

First, I find it a bit selfish to believe that our planet is the only planet with life in the universe, but I never met aliens thusfar (my mother-in-Law?).... Holywoodmovies .... yeah we know. Probably there are lifeforms, who knows, who can tell anyway, right?

Uhm, not to be silly, but how can one believe in UFOs, but not aliens? Unidentified objects have had to be made by something, right? So, if something flies up there, someone had to build it :D

I believe in life on other planets. It would be arrogant not to, considering the size of the universe.
    "... Suspect I may, yet not directly tell:
    For being both to me, both to each friend,
    I guess one angel in another's hell;
    The truth I shall not know, but live in doubt,
    Till my bad angel fire my good one out..."

-Shakespeare-

What about the ancient cave drawings thousands of years old in Japan and Australia showing people-like creatures with bubbles on their heads as if they were not from here and could not breathe our air? Ever lie on your back in the grass at night and have a feeling come over you that we are not the only life in the Universe?

And How did guys like Jules Verne design atomic submarines when we barley had wheels?
    Last edited by Writing Teacher; June 12th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast