View Poll Results: Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • UFOs

3 2.40%
  • Aliens

8 6.40%
  • Both

77 61.60%
  • Neither

8 6.40%
  • Maybe

22 17.60%
  • Other

7 5.60%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Believe in UFOs and/or Aliens?

In the summer of 1970 my mother , father and i all saw a UFO in greenwood SC it was aprox. 70 feet off the ground and we could make out the shapes in the windows as human.
    The love you take is equal to the love you make.

As the goddess dysnomia teaches us that all life on earth came from Panspermia it would be ridiculous not to imagine there is life 'out there'.

After all, thats where we came from.

P

I voted both, but I still don't really care whether they are "out there" or not. I'm more convinced that other life exists by the lack of concrete contact. I mean, why assume other life is always more advanced than us? Why not they be evolving on along the same timeframe or what have you.
    Just a thought...
    See Now, And Just Be.....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BeigeAllen View Post
    Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens? Why?
    Yes. I saw a ufo. Back in 1997 I was one of the many people that saw the "Phoenix Lights" and throughout my life I have spent a lot of time watching the night skies. There are a lot of odd things zipping about out there. http://www.cnn.com/US/9706/19/ufo.lights/

If you don't believe in them, how do you explain the many sightings?
    I do believe in them, but I can still answer this. Obviously not all the sitings of odd things in the night skies are really all that odd, it depends on whose definition of odd we are using. Of course it also doesn't help that the larger number of folks spotting UFOs are people that get turned down for Jerry Springer. However, not all the stories are tall tales told by the hopeful either.

If you do believe in them, why do you think they "visit" Earth?
    For most, I think coming here is the equivalent to going cow tipping. Either that or a trip to the zoo. Then again, late at night, when I have had a few too many to drink, I pause to wonder if we aren't all just freaks in the sideshow to our visitors.

If you have seen them, why did you think they showed themselves to you?
    Well since it wasn't just me they showed themselves to, gods alone knows. Where they driving by to see what the bald monkey do in the springtime? Were they just looking for a great spot to make out? Maybe they were looking for snacks for the long trip to Orgasma 69? The truth is out there, but I have a hard enough time finding my car keys.

Skeptics agree with the USAF explanation that the Phoenix lights were simply slow falling, long burning flares dropped by an A-10 Warthog aircraft on a training exercise over Luke Air Force Base. Proponents of the spacecraft theory stated that the lights were over the city and not beyond the mountain where the Luke AFB was located. However, detailed analysis of the falling flares shows that they were actually beyond the mountain, as investigators discovered the lights vanished in line with the outline of the mountain. An investigation by Luke AFB itself also came to this conclusion and declared the case solved.

A video illustrating this was broadcast on a special on Fox Television stations about a year after the event. A copy of the original video was used in coordination with a video shot in the daytime from the exact same location. The two videos were merged into one on a frame by frame basis, so that the landmarks were always perfectly aligned. This allowed analysis of the lights regarding their apparent height above the mountain, and it was easily seen that the lights vanished in line with the outline of the mountain.

Do you think they have had some influence over our history, i.e. Egyptian myths, etc.?
    Oh of course, since they can starhop and we can't, its only natural we would have written them in from time to time. Humans really haven't changed all that much in the last few thousand years as far as our thinking, and look at how many movies and TV shows and books are put out about aliens every year. Not to mention video games. Where would we be without the many tales of the bug eyed monsters, the greens, the greys, Et, Predator VS Alien, etc. etc. etc.?

You just CRACKED ME UP SO BAD!!!:rollingla (with your response to why they visited earth and why they showed themselves to you):fpraise: I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy! --just basking in your radiance!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud to have Co-Hosted MW's 1st BABY SHOWER!!

Friend me!
    http://www.myspace.com/Clair_de_la_Lune
    The Octopus' Garden:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqXs...ext=1&index=44
    Follow me! http://www.twitter.com/ClairLune_of_MW

by Glowy and Cloaked Raven!
    by abrecan, nannymouse, Mystic Christian, Cassie, and Devi!

I believe in the possibility of microbial life on other planets and possibly (albeit less likely) intelligent extra terrestrial life. I do not however get worked up over the alien sightings and wonder if they've visited..I just don't care. I believe that UFOs are exactly that..Unidentified Flying Objects and whether they are extraterrestrial or not doesn't have an impact on my definition. A UFO could be a plane or a balloon that just hasn't been identified at the time of sighting by those who see it.

I don't know that they do or don't or whether they even exist.

Never seen one that can be confirmed..I think what I saw was a blimp or weather balloon or something.

Do you think they have had some influence over our history, i.e. Egyptian myths, etc.?
    Definitely no.

New Iberia, LA desperately seeking real estate in Rivendell
    Quote Originally Posted by Writing Teacher View Post
    What about the ancient cave drawings thousands of years old in Japan and Australia showing people-like creatures with bubbles on their heads as if they were not from here and could not breathe our air?
    I would argue that when we look at that picture, our 21st century minds see an alien or spaceman, but when the original creators of that drawing looked at it, they saw something else.
    And How did guys like Jules Verne design atomic submarines when we barley had wheels?
    Uh, Jules Verne wrote in the 19th century. Wheels were around long before that. And while 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was remarkable for its anticipation of technological possibilities, Verne's other work, Journey to the Center of the Earth, wasn't even close.

Are you suggesting Verne got his ideas from aliens?
    "I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgement." -- Cora Munroe in Last of the Mohicans

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Conan the Barbarian in "Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard

"Moral outrage has little effect on a cat." -- Garrison Keillor

"There aren't many problems than can't be fixed
    with $700 and a .30-06." -- Jeff Cooper. Or maybe it was his daughter Lindy. I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnorran View Post
    I would argue that when we look at that picture, our 21st century minds see an alien or spaceman, but when the original creators of that drawing looked at it, they saw something else.
    QFT, I definitely agree with your post, I think, it's modern 21st century minds trying to see something that's not there, like some people will say the Sumerian religion, beliefs, Gods, Mythology, etc "proves" or "shows" that aliens "created" humans, but, really, they just don't understand the Sumerian religion, beliefs, Gods, images, Mythology, etc. I remember seeing one programme, where someone said, a depiction of an Aztec God or Aztec Gods "proved" aliens had landed on the earth, or were "still here", etc, but really, they were seeing what they wanted to see, like, 'cause some of the Aztec Gods didn't look human, so people will say "they must be aliens".

Personally, I think most people should just learn more about the ancient beliefs, Mythology, Gods, images, worldviews, etc, so they can know how ancient people saw things, without projecting what they want to see onto them.

Uh, Jules Verne wrote in the 19th century. Wheels were around long before that. And while 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was remarkable for its anticipation of technological possibilities, Verne's other work, Journey to the Center of the Earth, wasn't even close.

Are you suggesting Verne got his ideas from aliens?
    Some people are just way ahead of their time, it doesn't need aliens "giving them ideas". (That doesn't mean, I don't believe in aliens, they may exist, I just don't think they they have landed, or maybe they have, but I don't think they're going around introducing themselves to everyone. Also, who says, aliens are going to be friendly, considering most instances of technologically superior cultures and civilizations encountering less-advanced cultures and civilizations have ended up in conflict, war, invasion, etc, it might be that aliens will want to conquer, destroy, enslave, etc us).

Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens? Why? Yes. There's no way we can be alone in this vast universe. There's an area in the universe bigger than our own galaxy that even astronomers and scientists say is a total and complete void... it's not even a black hole because radio waves don't even come out of it. If that mystery exists, there must be so many others that we cannot understand, especially with our Earthly human knowledge that might not apply out there whatsoever.

I think UFO's are a little trickier.. just because what you see up in the sky cannot be explained by you, doesn't mean there's not a valid explanation. That said, the explanation may not necessarily always apply. I personally believe aircraft is largely useless and unnecessary for most alien species. "Humanizing" aliens is probably the main reason too much gets overlooked.

If you don't believe in them, how do you explain the many sightings? I'll answer this anyway; sightings can range from people making things up to get attention, to hopeful alien "fans" seeing what they want to see, to elaborate hoaxes to make money. The biggest category I believe is people who just don't know what it is they are seeing and so "ALIENS!" is the first thing popping into their brain. The smallest being sightings of the real thing.

If you do believe in them, why do you think they "visit" Earth? They're curious. Some species may want to help us, and maybe some don't care about us one way or another and we're just their personal petri dish. I'm not too inclined to believe many have malicious intent though. But that is too subjective of a word when we're talking about intergalactic relations and communication.

If you have seen them, why did you think they showed themselves to you? I can't fully answer this without appearing completely looney tunes. I'll just say that there is a reason for everything and each person should find their own truth.

Do you think they have had some influence over our history, i.e. Egyptian myths, etc.? Yes, but I disagree with some about the extent. Though I see their point... ask me again later. I'm still exploring this.

Hello all,

Yes, I do because I have seen them back in 1984 around 11:oo pm in a wooded park. I was with my friends and some girls having fun and smoking some Ganja:giggle: and all of the sudden we saw this huge spaceship right above us maybe 100 feet from the ground it was huge, we went like whathh!! Then we followed it for many miles through the woods until it went towards the south fast like lightning. . I though It was the reaction of the Ganja but everyone thre saw it and years later I found an article
    http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc690.htm
    Then when I was in Hawaii I saw one and camcordered it, not as close but I call the cops and they told me Ok we will be right there but they never showed up.

N/A

I do not know for sure but according to the book of Urantia, The planet eart is a test planet and we are planet number 663 of the inhabited planets.

I do not think they knew that we were there to beging with.

I really think that the Pyramids and all other works of that natured were build by them.

UFOís certainly because Iíve seen a few myself. However, to what I have seen I apply the term UFO in the literal sense, Unidentified Flying Object! Just because I didnít know what it was it doesnít mean that it is extraterrestrial and manned by little green men!

The distances that must be travelled make it highly unlikely. Any civilization that could produce the technology to make such journeys efficiently probably have better things to do then come gawk at the cave-people!

The recorded sightings are all caused by various natural phenomena, misinterpretation and aircraft manufactured here on Earth.

I donít and they donít!

Not seen any. Ever.

Nope.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast