Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Crossroads

Nicely reasoned, Raven.

I just found this thread. SOrry it took so long but I have been working a LOT. LOL

I'll try to explain it here. Hekate's sign of the equal armed cross is representative of the Goddess of the 4 corners or 4 directions of Earth "Terra" and not an intersection. The number 3 is past present and future and the 3 phases of womanhood and life in general. A crossroads is 3 roads that connect. Now this could be that which I have here right up the road from me, which is one road (rt) with 2 other roads coming into it (not your traditional Y) or it can be a "fork" or "Y" connection.

I hope this helps Theres.

Thank You Catiana for the beautiful banners
    In Loving Memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Mom~
    ~Spider Lady~
    Apr.8,1943-Feb.23,2006

Look Into The Eyes of The Dragon and Despair, I Curse you, I Consign you to OBLIVION!

"Without inspiration, the best powers of the mind remain dormant, there is a fuel in us all which needs to be ignited with sparks."
    -Herder
    "Do not call up, What you cannot put down"
    C.O.R. member #13

Quote Originally Posted by Prophecy View Post
    Hekate's sign of the equal armed cross is representative of the Goddess of the 4 corners or 4 directions of Earth "Terra" and not an intersection.
    To what sign do you refer? I have not seen an "equal armed cross" connected to Hecate and would be interested in seeing the symbol and knowing its source.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy...(from Hamlet).

fascinating as usual, Theres!

I recently bought a Hekate pendant which has Her standing on a 4 armed cross, and also has the triple moon on it.

The best of both worlds...

To my new friend Raven,
    Here is a site that you may find of interest and may find the answer to your question.

http://hekate.timerift.net/sacred.htm

I hope this helps.

Blessings;
    Prophecy

In Loving Memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Mom~
    ~Spider Lady~
    Apr.8,1943-Feb.23,2006

Look Into The Eyes of The Dragon and Despair, I Curse you, I Consign you to OBLIVION!

"Without inspiration, the best powers of the mind remain dormant, there is a fuel in us all which needs to be ignited with sparks."
    -Herder
    C.O.R. member #13

Here is a site that you may find of interest and may find the answer to your question.
    Thanks, yes, that was helpful. I believe I was able to track down what seems to be the error on that site regarding the Greek Cross and Hecate. It appears to be rooted in a remark made by Trede:

"Christianity replaced the divine images at cross-ways by crucifixes or images and shrines of the Madonna. At the latter, especially, flowers and candles are offered and prayers said exactly as in the case of the Hermae and the Hekataia (Trede, Das Heidenthum in der röm. Kirche, Gotha, 1891, iv, 205,208; ERE, ibid.)"

I think that some modern person unfamiliar with the ancient symbolism of the crossroads as a triple intersection, confused the crucifix reference with the modern idea of a crossroads (a four-way intersection) since the crucifix has four arms.

I think the added confusion came from someone who thought about Hecate as a Greek goddess and then separately ran across the Greek Cross as a symbol of male and female, and then equated this to the idea of a four-way intersection. The error was apparently compounded by thinking that since Hecate was a goddess of the crossroads, and the crossroads were marked by the crucifix, then the Greek Cross must have been the earlier symbol of the crossroads before Christianity.

I can find no academic sources that connect the Greek Cross to Hecate or with the crossroads of ancient Greece. If anyone can point me to an academic or ancient literary source that does, I would very much appreciate it.
    Last edited by raven grimassi; January 8th, 2007 at 12:35 PM.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy...(from Hamlet).

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    Quote Originally Posted by raven grimassi View Post
    I can find no academic sources that connect the Greek Cross to Hecate or with the crossroads of ancient Greece. If anyone can point me to an academic or ancient literary source that does, I would very much appreciate it.
    i agree (as i mentioned above), and i also think your reconstruction of the possible confusion is close to right on.
    i have found nothing in antiquity to support the equal-armed cross being an ancient symbol for Hekate, nor anything even as old as your citation.

now i just have to figure out this damned 'wheel' ... lol.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

it has been stated many times throughout history that what we call the equal armed cross is the 4 directional spray to represent the four directions of north south east and west also the 4 winds. It was the Christians that came along in time and lengthened one "arm" of this cross to turn it to their own symbol. I also would like to state for the record that Hekate isn't just a Greco/Roman Goddess. Her image and symbology can also be traced across Europe and Asia minor.

In Loving Memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Mom~
    ~Spider Lady~
    Apr.8,1943-Feb.23,2006

-Herder
    C.O.R. member #13

Quote Originally Posted by Theres View Post
    i agree (as i mentioned above), and i also think your reconstruction of the possible confusion is close to right on.
    i have found nothing in antiquity to support the equal-armed cross being an ancient symbol for Hekate, nor anything even as old as your citation.

now i just have to figure out this damned 'wheel' ... lol.
    To which wheel are you speaking of? Hekate's wheel?

It is also known as Hekates Well and it also depicts the Four rays or equal armed cross and on each "inlet" there are 3 holes. Hence the symbols once again of the the number 3 and the equal armed cross. It is also said that "If a Man is to wear this symbol, he will go mad" I havn't found this in history or truth yet. But then again I like to heed old warnings. Hekate has changed a lot over the centuries in that she used to only "call on Women to serve her" BUT now there are a lot more Men being called to her service.
    In ancient times the "Priests were castrated in order to serve her" Now we are "left alone" LOL and are called to her more and more.

In Loving Memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Mom~
    ~Spider Lady~
    Apr.8,1943-Feb.23,2006

-Herder
    C.O.R. member #13

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    It was the Christians that came along in time and lengthened one "arm" of this cross to turn it to their own symbol.
    actually i believe that it is the scaffold upon which Christ was crucified that forms the Christian symbol, and has little to do with modifying or usurping any other cultures' existing symbolism.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast