Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Crossroads

Quote Originally Posted by raven grimassi View Post
    Thanks, yes, that was helpful. I believe I was able to track down what seems to be the error on that site regarding the Greek Cross and Hecate. It appears to be rooted in a remark made by Trede.
    Ya know, this is the problem with the Internet. Anyone can say whatever they want on a website and then other people think its true. Then it gets passed around as a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Prophecy View Post
    it has been stated many times throughout history that what we call the equal armed cross is the 4 directional spray to represent the four directions of north south east and west also the 4 winds.
    It is helpful when people provide sources. What are yours?

It is also known as Hekates Well and it also depicts the Four rays or equal armed cross and on each "inlet" there are 3 holes. Hence the symbols once again of the the number 3 and the equal armed cross.
    Again, sources, please.

Quote Originally Posted by *Rasenna* View Post

It is helpful when people provide sources. What are yours?

Again, sources, please.
    Ok here are a few........ I will start with this. I am one source. Considering I have been studying, practicing and "serving" Hekate for 40+ years.
    Now sources you may accept:
    My mother (pictured in my signature) My Grandparents (her parents) Great Grandparents from Messina and Malta Sicily One from Rome. Mom's Mother and her Grandparents from Limerick Ireland and surrounding lands.

Outside studies from:
    Native American Lore and Shamanism
    Celtic Traditions
    The Druids
    The Merlin (not a man but a title)
    Henge of Keltria
    Artes Perditae
    Robert Von Rudloff, M.Sc., M.A. 3
    Temple of Hekate N.M. (headquarters)
    Religious law of the Molpoi (recorded 100 B.C.) from Milet, probably from the
    5th century B.C. and an archaian roundaltar with inscriptions.
    Mentioned above is small but very informative and covers everything from what the Equal Armed cross IS to Hekate/Hecate Trivia etc.
    So here is a start for you to research.

I will also add here that I don't, for similiar reasons you have stated, conduct to learn from the internet. Although there are some very informative and honorable sites out there, I just choose not to unless I need some laughs. I also believe that the internet is FILLED with OPINIONS and we all know what people think of opinions.

and Remember ALWAYS
    In Darkness; Light
    Prophecy

ps: would you like to see a picture of the "Wheel/Well"? Let me know and I will scan it and try to post it here.
    Last edited by Prophecy; January 8th, 2007 at 11:20 PM.

Thank You Catiana for the beautiful banners
    In Loving Memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Mom~
    ~Spider Lady~
    Apr.8,1943-Feb.23,2006

Look Into The Eyes of The Dragon and Despair, I Curse you, I Consign you to OBLIVION!

"Without inspiration, the best powers of the mind remain dormant, there is a fuel in us all which needs to be ignited with sparks."
    -Herder
    "Do not call up, What you cannot put down"
    C.O.R. member #13

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    ps: would you like to see a picture of the "Wheel/Well"? Let me know and I will scan it and try to post it here.
    thank you, i have the image.
    in fact i wear a silver one around my neck and have another tattooed on my arm. i'm just not convinced (as with the cross) that it is an ancient symbol.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theres View Post
    i'm just not convinced (as with the cross) that it is an ancient symbol.
    Here is something interesting. The first image reportedly dates from around 1400 bce (Crete and a few centuries later in Greece). The second image is the most popular one, and I have not seen its appearance prior to the 20th century. The similarities are intriguing.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy...(from Hamlet).

Actually, this is what I was referring to. This is the wheel from her Temple I believe in Crete. Sorry about it being on its side sstill trying to figure out this scanner.
    Last edited by Prophecy; January 9th, 2007 at 08:22 AM.

In Loving Memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Mom~
    ~Spider Lady~
    Apr.8,1943-Feb.23,2006

Look Into The Eyes of The Dragon and Despair, I Curse you, I Consign you to OBLIVION!

"Without inspiration, the best powers of the mind remain dormant, there is a fuel in us all which needs to be ignited with sparks."
    -Herder
    C.O.R. member #13

Here is something interesting. The first image reportedly dates from around 1400 bce (Crete and a few centuries later in Greece). The second image is the most popular one, and I have not seen its appearance prior to the 20th century. The similarities are intriguing.
    You know what that reminds me of? Wombs. Three wombs!

In Yoruba religious tradition a distinction is made between 2 types of crossroads. Orita meta and Orita merin. That is the 3 path junction and the 4 path junction. At 4 path junction ebos are made to the orisha and to Esu. At the 3 road junction ebo are made to the Iyami aje, also known as the Witches or the Mothers.
    The witches are also said to reside atop certain trees.

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    very intriguing!
    thank you, i have never seen that image before. hmmm... Crete suggests a labyrinth, i wonder if that is the intention? also, was there anything to connect this image to Hekate?

Quote Originally Posted by Prophecy
    This is the wheel from her Temple I believe in Crete.
    Prophecy, can you get a definite ID for that temple?
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

very intriguing! thank you, i have never seen that image before. hmmm... Crete suggests a labyrinth, i wonder if that is the intention? also, was there anything to connect this image to Hekate?
    No, no mention of Hecate or a crossroads connection. The old symbol was just in a collection of designs with no indication what it meant or on what the design appeared.

Prophecy, can you get a definite ID for that temple?
    Now, if we could connect this wheel with a temple dedicated to Hecate, that would be a find indeed. If the photo has a reference, Prophecy, please pass that along with the source from which the photo comes. Also, is there a frontal shot of the wheel figure? I cannot make out what the design is from the side.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy...(from Hamlet).

Here it is in the correct position. I am currently awaiting the accurate location of the Temple. Once I have the info I will post it here.

By frontal picture do you mean from above? I don't think they allow helicopters to fly over these sites without explicit permission from the Gov't.

In Loving Memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Mom~
    ~Spider Lady~
    Apr.8,1943-Feb.23,2006

-Herder
    C.O.R. member #13

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast