Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Crossroads

Quote Originally Posted by Prophecy View Post
    Here it is in the correct position. I am currently awaiting the accurate location of the Temple. Once I have the info I will post it here.

By frontal picture do you mean from above? I don't think they allow helicopters to fly over these sites without explicit permission from the Gov't.
    Thanks for posting the image. I cannot make out what the design is though. I am assuming this photo comes from a book, yes? If so, what is the title of the book, and where was the photo taken, Greece or?
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy...(from Hamlet).

Quote Originally Posted by raven grimassi View Post
    Thanks for posting the image. I cannot make out what the design is though. I am assuming this photo comes from a book, yes? If so, what is the title of the book, and where was the photo taken, Greece or?
    Actually Raven, its not from a book. A friend and fellow Hekatean had emailed it to me with the title of Hekates Wheel/Well I emailed her last night and am awaiting a response back to the actual locality. When I get the reply I will post it here.

Thank You Catiana for the beautiful banners
    In Loving Memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Mom~
    ~Spider Lady~
    Apr.8,1943-Feb.23,2006

Look Into The Eyes of The Dragon and Despair, I Curse you, I Consign you to OBLIVION!

"Without inspiration, the best powers of the mind remain dormant, there is a fuel in us all which needs to be ignited with sparks."
    -Herder
    "Do not call up, What you cannot put down"
    C.O.R. member #13

Quote Originally Posted by Prophecy View Post
    Actually Raven, its not from a book. A friend and fellow Hekatean had emailed it to me with the title of Hekates Wheel/Well I emailed her last night and am awaiting a response back to the actual locality. When I get the reply I will post it here.
    Oh, ok. I look forward to more information, and thanks for sharing what you have so far.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy...(from Hamlet).

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    Quote Originally Posted by raven grimassi View Post
    Oh, ok. I look forward to more information, and thanks for sharing what you have so far.
    me too!
    i have a friend in Crete right now, and she just emailed to tell me that they are extending their stay on the island another two days (until Monday). so any information you can post regarding this location will be greatly appreciated, and i'll send her on her way to photograph it for us!
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Well folks here is the information I recieved from another.
    Main sanctuary: in Lagina, (Source: Strabo 14,660,663), a city in Lakene.
    Now if I can only get the HPS of the Temple to email me back to specifics, once I hear from her I will post it as well.

In Loving Memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Mom~
    ~Spider Lady~
    Apr.8,1943-Feb.23,2006

Look Into The Eyes of The Dragon and Despair, I Curse you, I Consign you to OBLIVION!

"Without inspiration, the best powers of the mind remain dormant, there is a fuel in us all which needs to be ignited with sparks."
    -Herder
    C.O.R. member #13

oh, okay.
    well Lagina isn't in Crete, but rather Turkey. Lagina wasn't a city but a sanctuary. in fact it is the largest known sanctuary dedicated to solely to Hekate.
    the closest city in ancient times was Stratonikeia, and during Her celebrations the priestess would lead the people of the city along an straight road of about 10k to the temple. this was known as 'The Procession of the Key'.

the closest modern city is Mugla, i believe (i'm writing this from memory, so don't hold me to tightly to all this). i have plans to travel to Greece and the surrounding area within the next three years, and Mugla is definitely on our agenda!

http://www.aydingun.com/stockphoto/Kentler/lagina.htm

http://www.fotografcilar.com/classic/Lagina/
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

My bad, as I said I thought it was in crete and wish it were since your friend is there she could go and get more pictures for us all LOL.

In Loving Memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Mom~
    ~Spider Lady~
    Apr.8,1943-Feb.23,2006

-Herder
    C.O.R. member #13

I've only heard talk of Hecate's Wheel on the internet. Can any of you tell me what its history is, and what it symbolizes?

Some more links:

http://www.archaeology-classic.com/turkey/Lagina.html
    http://www.sitesandphotos.com/catalo...nt-147353.html

From Here: http://tribes.tribe.net/bayareawicca...8-d705cb64f7a7

- Don Frew, Anna Korn, and Glenn Turner's presentation "Hekate in Turkey: Past Meets Present". The festival of Hekatesia has been revived at her oldest known temple at Lagina, Turkey, and it was exciting to hear all about it.
    I tried to find info on the Hekatesia apparently be revived at the temple in Lagina, but haven't found anything online.

thanks C+!

damn, i wish i had known about that lecture. i probably could've made an excuse tio visit my folks in the Bay Area!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast