Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bad reference!!!!

Angry bad reference!!!!

Has anyone here had the unpleasant experience of a former emloyer giving you a bad reference?? This just happened to me...for NO good reason!! Honestly!! If I had done something so wrong as to deserve a bad reference then would I be so stupid as to put that company on my resume'? I think not!! Now, because of this there is a chance that I won't be getting this job that I've been hoping for!! My prospective employer told me a little of what was said by my previous employer. I know she was not supposed to tell me these things but she found it quite odd that all my other references were so great and something struck her as odd. My ex-boss got very personal about me (without getting into details with her) and it wasn't about tardiness or excessive abuse of sick time. He said he had some serious issues with me!! He also said that he would rather not give a reference then give a BAD one!!! What the heck is that??!! I resigned from the place...I was not fired!! I gave them a months notice and they had a huge party for me when I left! It's all so odd! Good thing for me or I would not have known why I have been having such a hard time finding a good job recently!! Now I was wondering what people have done in this situation...I mean this is outright slander and I want to pursue this...I am drafting a letter to the director of human resources where I used to work. What else can I do about this situation?
    Support Our Troops!!

Laiste

Lightbulb Your solution, in three easy steps:

Call the guy that gave you the reference. Better yet, call his boss.

Explain that you were slandered, and unless the company corrects its error in very short order, you will sue for damages.

Watch the guy who gave the bad reference piss his pants.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all convictions, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Contact a lawyer. I don't know about the labour laws in the US but here, you can't give personal opinions in a reference check. Especially what you just describe. That's outright slander!
    Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege to do so also. - Voltaire

that happened to me just a few months ago -- i voluntarily left a job because I did not like my supervisor. However, he had nothing but good things to say about me (I think he had some serious mental problems -- memory, mood swings, etc.). When the people at my current job started calling around for references, they somehow got ahold of him (even though he was not listed as a reference -- just as a former supervisor). He called me & said that unless I made myself available to that organization whenever they needed me, he would not be able to give me a good reference. I didn't know what to say, so I said "alright" initially. Then I made some phone calls. That is completely 100% illegal!!

First of all, if a prospective employer is looking for references, list the human resources person for all former employers. Only list former co-workers/bosses if you want them to be a personal reference. If your supervisor was not listed as a personal reference, the only information they are supposed to do is confirm that you worked there and that you resigned (honorable discharge & all that).

I would go ahead and write the letter to the HR department of your former employer -- your former supervisor violated several employment rules.

Don't dispair too much about the job -- if the people you're interviewing with were shocked enough about the one discrepancy in the references, they may chalk it up to the fact that the person is psychotic.

Good luck!
    Peace & Love -- UP

*nods* I don't know how it works in any other state...but here in Colorado they're not allowed to speak about you personally....only the job that you performed. Anything else is tantamount to slander.
    Oh Noz Oppression!
    Because life is so much more exciting when you're being persecuted.

Easy English Grammar Lesson:

Your - the possessive form of you

You're - a contraction of "you are"

I'm not sure what to do about that kind of situation... I guess my best suggestion would be to call the person that was giving the bad reference... and I hope things work out for the best!
    ~ Is your life so unreal that you keep a journal as evidence of your existence? ~

"Together we stand as Grace, Justice, and Knowledge." - Realms of Twilight

Seneschal Lady Phoenix of Twilight
    Lady of the Eldaran House

You have good cause to complain to your old company. Our HR department has instructed all managers that they are only to verify basic employment information - dates of hire, salary, whether you were on time if that was important. Anything else could be grounds for a discrimination suit, and they'd rather avoid such things.

that's illegal. you cannot give a bad reference. at least in Canada it is. you can chose to not give a reference, but you usually ask people if they can be used as a reference too...

Do you have a legal aid you could just call and ask about it?
    Hail to the Shnenz... the goddess of the Red Headz, Princess of Perfect Grammar and the SWAT team!

When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize Stitch is my energy.

Visit The Eternal Fyre BB!

My sister works in HR, and she suggests you call that company's HR department. What he did is unacceptable, and could ultimately cost him his job. . .
    "It is a good divine that follows his own instructions."
    Portia,
    Merchant of Venice, I.2

"If making oatmeal cookies with bugs instead of raisins is wrong, then I don't want to be right" - Bucky Katt

Thank you all for your insight! It is appreciated!

Just to clarify...I did NOT list this person as a personal reference. But the job was listed on my resume'. I found out tonight, from a former co-worker, that the call was taken by a certain individual and she forwarded the call to my ex-boss. My ex-boss, by the way, is no longer affiliated with the hospital I worked for! There was a separation of the two hospitals after I left. I have sent out the letter to HR and will give it some time and see what response, if any, I get from them. In the meantime I am doing some research on the matter and have contacted a friend who is a para-leagal. I will keep you posted if there are any future events!
    Support Our Troops!!

Laiste

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast