Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Great Cleaning Tips And Tricks!

Thumbs up Great Cleaning Tips And Tricks!

Came across these and felt like sharing. Please feel free to add your own!

How many of these did YOU know about?

============================================
    A sealed envelope - Put in the freezer for a few hours, then slide a knife under the flap. The envelope can then be resealed. (hmmmmmm...)

Use Empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords . It keeps them neat and you can write on the roll what appliance it belongs to.

For icy door steps in freezing temperatures: get warm water and put Dawn dish washing liquid in it. Pour it all over the steps. They won't refreeze. (wish I had known this for the last 40 years!)

To remove old wax from a glass candle holder , put it in the freezer for a few hours. Then take the candle holder out and turn it upside down. The wax will fall out.

=================================================

Crayon marks on walls? This worked wonderfully! A damp rag, dipped in baking soda. Comes off with little effort (elbow grease that is!).

Permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt BLUE!) rubbing alcohol on paper towel.
    =============================================
    Whenever I purchase a box of S.O.S Pads, I immediately take a pair of scissors and cut each pad into halves . After years of having to thr ow away rusted and unused and smelly pads, I finally decided that this would be much more economical. Now a box of SO.S pads last me indefinitely! In fact, I have noticed that the scissors get 'sharpened'' this way!

Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry! Just pour a little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time! (Now, where to put the body?) LOL

Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and hor izontal for inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks. Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean. Don't wash windows on a sunny day. They will dry too quickly and will probably streak.

Spray a bit of perfume on the light bulb in any room to create a lovely light scent in each room when the light is turned on.

Place fabric softener sheets in dresser drawers and your clothes will smell freshly washed for weeks to come. You can also do this with towels

and linen.
    Candles will last a lot longer if placed in the freezer for at least 3 hours prior to burning.
    To clean artificial flowers, < /B>pour some salt into a paper bag and add the fl owers. Shake vigorously as the salt will absorb all the dust and dirt and leave your artificial flowers looking like new! Works like a charm!

To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet , simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to

boil
    on stove top.
    ==============================================
    Spray your TUPPERWARE with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato based sauces and there won't be any stains.
    Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.
    When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn's natural sweetness
    Cure for headache s: Take a lime, cut it in half, and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
    Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces ......... Left over wine? What's that?

To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the area and you will experience instant relief.
    Ants, ants, ants everywhere . Well, they are said to never cross a chalk line. So, get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or w herever ants tend to march. See for yourself.

Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job and better still, leaves a lovely smell to the shine.
    When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, a nd

then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and easily.
    =====================================
    Now look what you can do with Alka Seltzer........
    ================ ============================
    Clean a toilet.
    Drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous China .

Clean a vase.
    To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets.
    Polish jewelry.
    Drop two Alka Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
    ============= ================================
    Clean a thermos bottle.
    Fill the bottle with water, drop in four Alka Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary).
    Unclog a drain.
    Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, and then run the hot water.

Do your friends a favor. Pass this timely (and some not-so-timely) information on to a friend! I just did. Makes you wonder about ingesting Alka Seltzer, doesn't it
    Last edited by Lilith Morgaine; May 19th, 2008 at 11:33 PM.
    OFFICIALLY PROTECTED BY THE OSC!
    REST WITH THE ANGELS
    Laura Jane Yelsits Faedi
    5/12/62 ~ 4/9/10
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha
    The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls.
    -E.C.Stanton

Always be honest.
    Make me laugh.
    Respect boundaries.
    Take me as I am.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
    Be thoughtful and make me feel special.
    -ME

Shocked

Here are a few tips on using Vinegar for personal care....
    Vinegar for personal care
    Vinegar in the bath.
    Add one-half cup of vinegar or so to warm bath water when bathing and get double benefits: softer skin and a cleaner bath.
    Hair conditioner.
    Vinegar makes a simple, inexpensive conditioner for your hair and helps remove the stuff shampoo can leave behind.
    Dandruff treatment.
    Simply pour a few tablespoons of vinegar on your hair and massage into your scalp. Wait a few minutes, then rinse and wash hair like normal. Try this for a few days until you see results.
    Dry skin repair.
    Smooth a little vinegar on cracked, dried skin to help it heal.
    Clean dentures.
    Soak dentures overnight in White Vinegar, then brush away tartar with a toothbrush.
    Free and unique fortune telling gifts for all visitors http://www.destinysdoor.co.uk

a sock on a yardstick, held on with a rubber band, will clean under anything.
    if you spill grease while cooking, dump salt on it. then just wipe it up when you are finished cooking.

be careful with the perfume on the lightbulb. i shattered one once after spraying too liberally.
    Last edited by spooky; February 22nd, 2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: forgot something

eeew. kisses.

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

if you feel like you know me, check out this link. i'ed like to see how i am viewed, and have a bit of reflection.

http://kevan.org/johari?view=spookytooth

1/2 a lemon and some baking soda, sprinkle soda on floor of tub or shower and scrub with lemon. Works really well on tiled shower floors.

Nice Thank You!
    Don't mind the rambilings of a Gemini....We've learned not to!

"You have NO Power over Me" Labyrinth

Thank You Catiana for my Beautiful Banners:fpraise: :fpraise: :fpraise: My banners ran away........

That is so cool thank you so much!
    Please click the banner to check out my Jewelry on ArtFire!

Bump
    Last edited by Lilith Morgaine; June 12th, 2007 at 11:56 AM.
    OFFICIALLY PROTECTED BY THE OSC!
    REST WITH THE ANGELS
    Laura Jane Yelsits Faedi
    5/12/62 ~ 4/9/10
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha
    The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls.
    -E.C.Stanton

Always be honest.
    Make me laugh.
    Respect boundaries.
    Take me as I am.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
    Be thoughtful and make me feel special.
    -ME

I discovered the candle wax thing on accident and I'm so glad I did! I love saving glass candle holders that come with some candles, so whenever I'm done with one, I love being able to just pop it in the freezer and turn it over later to have a clean holder.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.-Cherokee proverb

Speaking of candles - to get wax out of a carpet put a clean paper towel on top of the wax and go over it with a warm iron. Keep moving the paper towel until it's all waxy and then use a fresh paper towel. Keep going until there's no more wax on the paper towel.

To get chewing gum out of hair - euwww - rub it with peanut butter and then shampoo your hair.

To get chewing gum out of clothing or carpet - rub with an ice cube and then scrape with a kitchen knife.

I had a black mark on one of my walls where I had been walking down the hall with a large black box that scraped against the wall. I just used the tip you posted about scrubbing a crayon mark on walls with baking soda and a damp rag, and it WORKED. My wall looks new again! Thank you!

Darbla

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality;
    and then there are those who turn one into the other. ~ Douglas Everett

"We gaze up at the same stars, the sky covers us all, the same universe encompasses us. What does it matter what practical system we adopt in our search for the truth? Not by one avenue alone can we arrive at so tremendous a secret."
    Symmachus
    384 C.E.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
    ~ Gene Roddenberry

"Finish each day and be done with it.
    You have done what you could;
    some blunders and absurdities have crept in;
    forget them as soon as you can.
    Tomorrow is a new day;
    you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit
    to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Avatar artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser - www.JonathonArt.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast