Thread: Humans Can See Race and Sex Even in Simple Outlines

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Underneath my books in Australia

Humans Can See Race and Sex Even in Simple Outlines

Humans Can See Race and Sex Even in Simple Outlines

Adult minds are so keen at spotting race, gender and age that we can correctly guess those features from nothing more than a black-and-white silhouette, new experiments show.

"It's surprising how much information the silhouette provides," said Stanford University cognitive psychologist Nicolas Davidenko, who led the study. "We rarely have to identify a person in a silhouette, yet in the experiment, people can do that without difficulty."

The way that our brains process faces, he said, seems so flexible that our minds can even assign people to social and biological categories drawing only on views that occur less commonly in our daily lives—including black-and-white profiles.

Davidenko found that people correctly identified the gender of the person in silhouettes 70 percent of the time. Meanwhile, people guessed the correct age—to within 10 years—68 percent of the time. The study details are published in the March 21 issue of the Journal of Vision.
    From here.

Interesting. Never really thought about it....
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Yeah, I can see that. Males have an adam's apple, females don't. Asians generally have a different shape to their eyes, blacks generally have a different shape to their noses and lips, native americans generally have higher cheekbones. Older people often have cheek jowls or saggy chins.

70% accuracy is a little surprising though.

Lake Chaubunagungamaug
    Reminds me of the iPod commercials. They never show anything more than the sillhouette but it seems easy to guess.
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"

(> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.