Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Netflix for books?

is offline Enlightenment is the Quest Itself.......

Netflix for books?

The library where I live is very small and they definitely don't keep "Pagan" books on the shelves. Well, I'm going broke buying books!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any online books exchanges or libraries. Kind of like blockbuster or netflix, but for books? Does anything like this exist? (if not it should!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This can be your new best friend: www.bookcrossing.com

And here: How to Find Free Books on Witchcraft

Your library does that!---- you can put books on hold in your library system (which is usually county wide and has many branchs) and they can be sent to the library of your choice to pick up.

In my state you can and I so make use of it. Like crazy. I got tons of holds of tons of things. Books. DVDs. CDs.

If the book isn't avaliable or something I just have to wait till it is then it's shipped from the library it's from to one closer to me so I can pick it up. We have tons of books in our whole system (many about Paganism too), but not all of them are at the library I go to, so I put them on hold at the library's site online.

It's free too. Look into that. See if they have a site online and offer that, they probably do.

PS: I saw you were in Louisana and I did a quick search, they offer the "reserve/hold" option.
    Just make use of that! It's free, usually quick and you can get any book in your county (parish in your case I think?) system.

An example, not sure if it'll show up:
    http://vermilion.booksys.net/opac/vermilion/FullDisp?itemid=25618&view=&isSerial=&slUrl=%2Fopac%2Fvermilion%2FExpertSearch%3FSF0%3Dpagan%26ST0%3 DZ%26mat_filter%3D%26loc_filter%3D%26mainSearch%3Don%26entryType%3DBrowse You can see the " [Reserve This Item] " thing-- that's to put it on hold.

Just find your correct library system.
    http://www.publiclibraries.com/louisiana.htm
    Lists them all I think. Then search for your books, reserve them (all you need to do is have your library card # and your PIN/password) and there you go.
    Last edited by Agaliha; April 29th, 2007 at 11:37 PM.

You can also try inter-library loan, where your library can borrow a book from a library in another city or state. My local libraries have gotten books for me from all over the country this way.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
    -Euripedes

No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their last intended victim.
    -W. Emerson Wright

Just be aware that with inter-library loans from other libraries not directly associated with yours can have astronomical late fees. When i was in college the late fee for books borrowed from other schools through our library was something like $3 a day, and with public libraries it's usually higher.
    Last edited by Nox_Mortus; April 30th, 2007 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Mortus View Post
    Just be aware that with inter-library loans from other libraries not directly associated with yours can have astronomical late fees. When i was in college the late fee for books borrowed from other schools through our library was something like $3 a day, and with public libraries it's usually higher.
    That's true, the late fees if you have to get a book outside your district/county/parish is higher. I've been able to find everything in my county, so I never had to look to others. My library just offered to allow trading with a nearby county...I might look into it.
    Last edited by Agaliha; September 3rd, 2008 at 07:01 PM.

Great information, everyone. I'm making the thread sticky so that others will be able to find it again easily.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Just learned about www.booksfree.com. I haven't tried it yet, though!
    :fpraise: All hail the mighty SEARCH function! :fpraiseyo

See the completed cards from the MW Tarot Project @ the link below:

If "a gentle touch speaks volumes" imagine what a bitch-slap can do! ~ me

How about paganbooksforfree.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Agaliha View Post
    In my state you can and I so make use of it. Like crazy. I got tons of holds of tons of things. Books. DVDs. CDs. .
    Oh so you're one of those library patrons.

I work in a sort of small library that interloans a ton of materials, and there's always that one patron that outdoes the rest with holds and whatnot. I'm glad that you are that person for your library.

On a side note, we have an inordinate amount of books on Paganism/Wicca at my library, so if you're ever in Michigan, feel free to peruse the shelves.
    http://www.savedarfur.org

Check out my library at LibraryThing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast