Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Netflix for books?

has anyone tried booksfree.com or paganbooksforfree.com? I'm rather interested but I want to make sure they are legit.

Blinkie Maker

courtesy of Chaos Hawk. Thank you!

---
    Please check out my blog, http://lifecentsibility.blogspot.com
    it will contain a little bit of everything!

I officially LIKE this thread. Thanks for stickying it!!

Quote Originally Posted by LisaT4P View Post
    Just learned about www.booksfree.com. I haven't tried it yet, though!
    I have used booksfree for over a year now.

It's wonderful. I have the 6-at-a-time plan, which keeps me happy--I can easily read 2 books in 36 hours, so I've always got some coming and going while still having something to read. The queue is easy to manage, and the customer service is pretty nice. If anyone is interested, I have a code for 20% off your first month.
    The possibilities are endless.

I do books for free too! I have like 300 books in my queue

I wish the RSS feeds for my queue and past orders worked. I've read some pretty great books through Booksfree.
    The possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Mortus View Post
    Just be aware that with inter-library loans from other libraries not directly associated with yours can have astronomical late fees. When i was in college the late fee for books borrowed from other schools through our library was something like $3 a day, and with public libraries it's usually higher.
    Old thread, but wanted to share my experiences now that I've used ILL.

I've used Inter-Library Loan (ILL) with my public library over 20 times and have never been charged. They are connected to WorldCat and I've gotten books from many college libraries all over the US (Virginia was the last place) as well as a Christian monastery (and it was a book about the goddess Athene too!). I was never charged, either by day or for the total loan period, or for the shipping. The library did inform me that one book I put on hold for an ILL had a fee, but it was under $20. I declined that book (they always ask, never assume you'd pay) as I wasn't in the mood to pay. But that was 1 book out of 20. All my books were academic, non-fiction books about deities. As for late fees...simplest thing to say is don't be late in your returns! I've always turned books in on time, so have not seen or experienced these horrible prices for late fees. And for the ILL books,they're given directly to the librarian and they can scan it back into their system then and there, so there's no BS later about it being lost before it go into their hands.

I've gotten:
    Isis in the Ancient World
    God of Desire: Tales of Kamadeva in Sanskrit Story Literature
    Prometheus: Archetypal Image of Human Existence
    The Dance of Siva: Religion, Art and Poetry in South India
    The Transformation of Hera: A Study of Ritual, Hero, and the Goddess in the Iliad
    Egyptian Solar Religion in the New Kingdom: Re, Amun and the Crisis of Polytheism
    Yama: The Glorious Lord of the Other World
    The Treasures of Darkness: A History of Mesopotamian Religion
    Inanna, Queen of Heaven and Earth: Her Stories and Hymns from Sumer
    Athena In The Classical World
    Athene: Virgin and Mother in Greek Religion
    Violent Goddess: Anat in the Ras Shamra Texts
    Aśvin: the twin Gods in Indian Mythology, Literature & Art
    Concept of Rudra-Siva Through the Ages
    The Cult Of Silvanus: A Study In Roman Folk Religion
    etc

So, if people have an account with their local library and your library is linked into the WorldCat system, don't hesitate to place an ILL. I totally recommend using the system! And if there is a fee, you should have the chance to decline it before it's sent.

I scan the books I get so I have a copy to read at my leisure as I can't read long, academic books with tons of facts, details and footnotes in 2--3 weeks -- I like to take my time and digest things.

Many of the books I've gotten are rare, hard to come by and/or are super expensive to buy used. I don't think there's an available copy of the Hera book (edit: there is, 1 if you want to pay $1,064.26 - LOL), for example, to purchase. On most sites it's not available (seems it's out of print, too?), used or other wise, but there are many copies on WorldCat that can be gotten via ILL! So ILL can totally help with that as many libraries will have these older, less popular books on some deity or another. Or whatever else.
    Last edited by Agaliha; December 20th, 2015 at 07:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2