Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eclectic Witchcraft

Eclectic Witchcraft

Blessings,
    I was wondering if others practiced eclectic witchcraft, as I do? I take things that I have learned with things that I am learning and make it my practice. I do not, however, pull apart traditions and say they are mine. More or less, I just discover that I believe in a certain path, for example, when someone has metioned that Satanism believes that you are your own god, I knew I have believed that for a long time. I had no idea Satanism believed it the same way I did, so I derive that from Satanism. I derive my Goddess and God from Native Americans, since I am Cherokee, I believe in Mother Earth, Father Sky and the Great Spirit. But I am begining to look into more Pagan deities. What makes me a witch is the fact that I practice magick, deriving my powers from within myself, the elements and the Earth. I am now learning about Rastafarian's belief in the journey of one love, this makes much since to me. Buddhism has some great beliefs to live by, and I choose to journey for the ultimate nirvana.

I love being eclectic because no one belief suits me, many of them do. I think that this is more enlightening for me.

Are there other witches like me, or do people look down ecletics?

be well,
    Autumn
    Our bible is the Wind and the Rain

Love, light, peace, & blessings to all

OPEN FOR READINGS NOW!Get Your Readings Here!

One old Witch

Personally, I think of Wicca as eclectic by nature. I have been practicing for over forty years, and nothing frosts my butt quite like people who absolutely insist that every ritual they perform has to be right out of Starhawk...
    Do as ye will, an harm none.
    Blessed Be, woman!

This is true! All of my rituals are planned differently from any book's rituals.

Wicca is a path, though, and can be defined. By eclectic I mean an undefinable path, I guess. But in ways I can see Wicca is eclectic.

be well!
    Autumn

I'm eclectic, but not a witch. Just an eclectic Pagan here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Guide: Gods and Goddesses

MW Tarot Readings NOT currently accepting tarot reading requests via PM, but will answer posts in the Reading Request subforum if it is possible for me to do so. :spinnysmi

I believe that all religions and spiritualities touched on very powerful spiritual aspects, I don't believe there is any one way, and I have seen that many traditions/practices work for me and all link me to that which I feel and know as the Truth, that which connects me to the deepest aspects of being. Everything will not work for me, and there are many things that I just don't believe, but my spiritual practices are derived from many different beliefs and sometimes they are just practices in themselves and can be combined with many other practices, however people put boundaries and labels on them and said that they must be done "this way only" and by "these people" only and that "only this is right".

I have been an eclectic pagan for a few years but now I am getting into witchcraft and just like the rest of my spiritual practices they are drawn from different backgrounds.

p.s. I love your avatar Autumn-Forest

This is basically how I am, spiritually atleast, Mera mera. No one thing can truly define me, and I don't think thats how it should be. There is no one right way to do things. Everyone is indivdual and they should account themselves like that.

And thank you for loving my avatar, lol.

be well-
    Autumn

Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightening?
    I suppose that I'm fairly eclectic when it comes to witchcraft,but I'm not wiccan in any way shape or form.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I also am not a Wiccan.
    Much too organized and not what I believe in all actuallality. :/

be well,
    Autumn

I agree, Autumn-Forest. After much soul searching, I've found that there is no one religion that is right for me. Instead, I find wisdom, peace, and empowerment by learning from various paths.
    hikarilove
    "je sais, l'enfer c'est les autres. dans ce monde, on est tout le v˘tre." - m. farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn-Forest View Post
    Blessings,
    I was wondering if others practiced eclectic witchcraft, as I do? I take things that I have learned with things that I am learning and make it my practice. I do not, however, pull apart traditions and say they are mine. More or less, I just discover that I believe in a certain path, for example, when someone has metioned that Satanism believes that you are your own god, I knew I have believed that for a long time. I had no idea Satanism believed it the same way I did, so I derive that from Satanism. I derive my Goddess and God from Native Americans, since I am Cherokee, I believe in Mother Earth, Father Sky and the Great Spirit. But I am begining to look into more Pagan deities. What makes me a witch is the fact that I practice magick, deriving my powers from within myself, the elements and the Earth. I am now learning about Rastafarian's belief in the journey of one love, this makes much since to me. Buddhism has some great beliefs to live by, and I choose to journey for the ultimate nirvana.

I love being eclectic because no one belief suits me, many of them do. I think that this is more enlightening for me.

Are there other witches like me, or do people look down ecletics?

be well,
    Autumn
    Yes, some people do look down on eclectics, but I'm not one of them. I'm basically a Wiccan, but I've been Eclectic as well for about 15 years. As some here have said, I find wisdom and enlightenment in many places, in learning about many beliefs, and that helps to shape my understanding of the way the world works.

I currently work with an Eclectic Group and I intend to do more looking back at my Wiccan roots in order to share those with with the group, while others in the group will be bringing and sharing the things they've found enlightening. Who knows which things they share will also increase my own wisdom?

Those who tend to look down on Eclectics have grown frustrated with people who claim to follow one religion while adding elements of many others to it (and generally leaving out some of the important bits), changing it enough that it's often no longer recognizable to those who properly follow it. They don't think there's anything wrong with taking a bit of this and a bit of that and making some thing new, but they find it offensive to use the old title for the new result... as it tends to give others the wrong impression of the original religion or philosophy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast