Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eclectic Witchcraft

You know I think if people really looked at the core scripts of how, when, where and how to in what degree thier religous practices called for they would find even the most dogmatic of us is really eclectic. Yes, I think many try to hold to an established construct within which we work as based upon some criteria but I bet most do not go word for word and page for page.

I think it is simply how we define eclectic that causes the arguements, not that we are eclectic.

I suppose one could say I am an Eclectic Green Witchcraft / Shamantic practioner with strong Shamanistic overtures and influences built upon a structured Family Folk Tradition and Italian Folk - Stregian Family tradition.

I am unique to myself in the practice and structure of my spiritual and religious beliefs and the implimentation of them in my daily life.

I wonder if anyone ever self-identifies as an eclectic Christian or eclectic Jew or eclectic Muslim. Maybe they wouldn't say it that way but I know a lot of Christians, some of them Roman Catholic, who take from their religious doctrine what they find makes sense to them and let the rest go. It makes sense to me. I have a friend who is intelligent, aware and involved and a practicing Catholic. She doesn't believe in transubstantiation, the virgin birth, or the exclusivity of male priests. I asked her why she was still a Catholic and she said there's a lot there that means something to her and she wasn't going top throw the baby out with the bath water. My friend is a former nun and now works with local social justice organizations. I totally respect her.

Arrow so from reading this thread...

...it sounds as tho most of those that responded are eclectic !
    I'm an eclectic pagan witch whose looking deeper into some
    candle magick. Herbs and stones, crystals and gems are a part of
    healing I like also but since I fell off the horse I have a hard
    time remembering of concentrating for very long. My mind just
    switches channels when it wants to and don't tell me !
    Gemtle Rainbow Light
    MsMolli
    "Books contain words;
    trees contain energies and wisdom
    books never dreamt of." author unknown
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an eclectic witch i mostly follow the wiccan path but i am not inaugurated in a coven. And i write most rituals myself or if i really dont have the time or the inspiration i use one from the wiccan path.

I'm not a witch, but I would never look down on anyone practicing with an eclectic approach.

I think it's honest, and as long as it is done respectfully, there should be no issues.

I think that sometimes eclecticism is mistaken for not educated and fluffy - and nothing could be further from the truth.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

it seems to me that each witch (we are talking witchcraft and not religion...yes?) is unique and therefore eclectic by default.

Quote Originally Posted by *oonagh* View Post
    it seems to me that each witch (we are talking witchcraft and not religion...yes?) is unique and therefore eclectic by default.
    Well that's certainly my position. I practice witchcraft as a hodgepodge of whatever works from whatever culture. But I've been talking to a friend involved in the current implosion of the BTW and he's really struggling with the idea of being "eclectic" vs. being part of a tradition. He speaks of being "eclectic" as a wholly separate thing from his 20+ years of being in BTW.

And yes AFAI am concerned "witchcraft" is completely separate from Wicca of any sort. I consider myself an agnostic and although I received Alexandrian training, I am not Wiccan.
    Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by talamh View Post
    I wonder if anyone ever self-identifies as an eclectic Christian or eclectic Jew or eclectic Muslim.
    My mother was an eclectic Christian and may have even called herself that and my stepmother is an eclectic Jew and would almost certainly use that term.
    Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Nafiala View Post
    I am an eclectic witch i mostly follow the wiccan path but i am not inaugurated in a coven. And i write most rituals myself or if i really dont have the time or the inspiration i use one from the wiccan path.
    I'm proud to say I have been a witch for 17 years and have never been formally initiated.
    Yes?

In my craft I am very eclectic, I am mainly self-taught and have picked up many bits of lore and work from many places. I mainly prefer old folk type crafting. I think I must have been a magpie in previous life :D Religiously I am not very eclectic. I follow who I do but I also acknowledge other Gods/Goddesses as quite real.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast