Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: What constitutes a non-Wiccan Witch?

You're really never going to find a book that is 100% what you believe, not if you're like me anyways.

I'll happily learn from any book. Whether it's Ravenfluffy or a fantasy novel written by Terry Pratchett. It's amazing where you can find truth - and at least when you laugh at the bits in Pratchett you're supposed to.

~ Blog: Kitten of Discord ~ Twitter: @DiscordianKitty ~

"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
    The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

I love Terry Pratchett and his books, love the character of Granny Weatherwax. I'm going to agree with the whole thing about the books. I'm reading 'Power of the Witch' by Laurie Cabot with Tom Cowan. So far it's good and I haven't yet encountered fluffiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundragon View Post

(Feri is a Wiccan tradition I believe)
    Um, I'm afraid not. Some practitioners may consider themselves "Wiccan" or have dual membership in Feri and Wicca, but Feri itself is non-Wiccan.
    Last edited by SoulFire; October 6th, 2010 at 09:02 PM.

I loved reading this thread even though in places it did get a little biting.

I really wish I would have understood the distinction between the two in my teens. Now I know that teen Wiccans are looked down on by a lot here but I was very invested and took it all seriously. I know I'm not the only one. The problem was that at that time I thought Wiccan and Witch were one in the same. This is probably because all of the nice fluffy-bunny books I was reading was saying just that and used them interchangeably. So even though I didn't feel the need to cast circle or call quarters (that was the big one. I just don't get it) and though I didn't believe in the Summerland etc etc I still went along with it because the other bits were what I was feeling drawn to and I thought it was a whole package sort of deal. Even after I left it all behind I still went back to those bits. That's where I find myself now and it's liberating to be able to look at those things and say "not for me, thanks" and move on with what I do 'feel'. It's very nice to know that I wasn't alone and wasn't nuts, too. It also makes a lot more sense that when people I knew were loving being Wiccan I just didn't believe in or feel what they did but still felt Wiccan. I just didn't realize Witch isn't Wiccan and visa versa.

I think it would benefit a lot of seekers if this distinction was made clear and without the biting attitude towards either side.
    Maggie in the Mead {blog}

"I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful - a faery’s child,
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild.
    "
    -John Keats (La Belle Dame sans Merci)

Oh and about Laurie Cabot- I have never met her and I have to admit I really am not interested in meeting her, either. I read her book "The Witch in Every Woman" and there were parts I loved though some of her personal stories just didn't sit right with me. And then I started researching her... Wowza! But I just wanted to say that though some people are batshit I don't think that makes them wrong in everything. A broken clock is still right twice a day. Take Cabot with a grain of salt, yes (take most things with a grain of salt!) but throwing her out altogether could mean missing out on some things, too. Just my $.02
    Maggie in the Mead {blog}

"I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful - a faery’s child,
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild.
    "
    -John Keats (La Belle Dame sans Merci)

I've read her book, Power of the Witch, and it was pretty good.

well... this makes a lot of sense actually... and sounds sort of along the lines of how i am - i believe in karma and reincarnation but not really the whole - threefold thing... nor can imagine doing esbats and all sorts of cermonies. i can see myself observing atleast a couple sabbats - with candles and food... but i think my type of magic is - energy, herbal stuff and all the incenese/oil/healing stone/gem chakra type stuffs... i would really only ever pray to gaia, maybe a few other greek ones depending on what i need...

i tried looking at/meditating with the power of the moon but it didnt resonate...
    so reading some of these posts... makes me think i'm a witch, not a wiccan...

its nice to see so many great responses instead of the vugue "what do labels matter, you are your own thing..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Rainsong View Post
    If you feel that Wiccan and witch are seperate, what does it take to be a non-Wiccan witch? Should they have a different view of deity? Do they have to be more folk magic oriented rather than ceremonial? in other words, what constitutes a non-Wiccan witch?
    What differentiates Wiccans from Witches that don't practise Wicca is that...the latter doesn't practise Wicca. Or identify as adherents to it.

Wicca is a particular religion, focusing on witchcraft and folk magic, but also including elements of ceremonial magic and an explicit affirmation of polytheism (hard, soft, or whatever). There's a whole philosophy, liturgy, ritual structure, and theology that accompanies it.
    A non-Wiccan witch practises the craft of witchery, of folk magic and energy working. Deities aren't necessarily a part of it, nor are the ceremonial, ethical, and liturgical facets of Wicca that make it a religion unto itself.
    Last edited by Louisvillian; January 2nd, 2012 at 03:41 AM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10