Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a non-Wiccan Witch?

Quote Originally Posted by wtfidka View Post
    That is well on the way to describing what I would term to be a witch. I do follow a similar path though it is not Celtic. Also I work with both sides of the coin so as to speak! Witchcraft is not a religion, it is a way of life. Nitefalle I think you have every right to call urself a Witch,Witchcraft doesnt come from a book it comes from within you, if you dont feel it no one can teach you to. The only true lessons will come from within.
    I firmly believe as well that Witchcraft is not a religion. I believe it is a practice of magick that can be coupled with any religion or spiritual practice. However, I have had some people come back at me with "Then I suggest that you google and study the term 'traditional witchcraft' and you will see that it is indeed a religion." *shrugs* To each their own, I guess.

Sir, I believe Mandoon is dry humping the pagan.
    Yes, but there is a difference between garden variety witchcraft and British Traditional Witchcraft, which is a Tradition with a capital "T". And even that path is not set in stone and is often tailored to the individual practicioner, depending upon their beliefs and who their guide / teacher was. So that may just be one Traditional Witch's opinion.
    ~NITEFALLE~
    Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
    Always in search of, and one step in back of,
    Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
    ~Willie Nelson~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well wicca is a belief system and witch craft is a pratice. You can go to church and still be a witch if you pratice witchraft. Amoung pagans there are a lot of people who don't call themselves wiccan because either they don't follow the reed like other people have said or they don't follow the goddess and god theory of wicca. Really its for a thousand different reasons and it just depends on the person in question.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

A non-wiccan witch?...Could it be that they don't belong to a formal coven or that they don't follow the Wiccan Rede? Maybe they incorporate practices from many paths into their own?

I practice a combintion of Hoodoo, Wicca, and Green Witchcraft...how would I be defined? I don't know myself.
    My Website:
    The Witch's Corner
    http://amythystraine.blogspot.com

My Blog:
    Magickal Connections
    http://wytchymystique.com

My Books:
    click Here

A wiccan is someone who follows the religion of Wicca. A witch is someone who works magic(k), however vague that may be. Whether that magic(k) involves formal spells invoking the gods or whatnot is not important. If you work magic(k) and consider yourself to be a witch, then you are one. its as simple as that.

very interesting thread! i am enjoying reading all of your posts. i consider some of what i do magic-- i talk about my magic, i have ritual, lol, but i have never thought of that as witchcraft. for me, i feel that the word witch is a condemnation. it reminds me of that terrible time in the past where people like us were chased and hunted and put to death as heretics. witch is what they called us... but i prefer to say i do magic, and eschew any definitive label.

i have toured the endless starlight
    ... take me home
    i have shattered under midnight
    ... take me home
    there are no vultures in this clearing
    except the ones who brought me here
    and i'll no longer feed them
    ... take me home

Quote Originally Posted by HadouKen24 View Post
    If you've got everything except the three-fold law and the rede, I'd call you Wiccan, myself. I understand it's a matter of some contention among Wiccans. The very idea of the three-fold law doesn't strike me as very pagan, to be perfectly honest. The Greeks, Romans, Celts, and Norse certainly didn't believe anything like it. As Aristotle said, justice is helping one's friends and harming one's enemies. While I'm not saying that modern pagans need to be like the ancient ones, I certainly wouldn't fault a pagan of any persuasion for rejecting
    the three-fold law or anything like it.
    Never make the mistake of calling a Witch a wiccan. Ok I dont have the rede, the free fold law, the magic circle, the shiny tools or the chants.
    I do know magic is both black and white, I do know the one power a witch needs comes from within and will never be learned from a book.
    Witches have been practising the craft for many centuries under one name or another, many have suffered for their beliefs but Withcraft will never die as long as there are true seekers in the world and a Witch is always seeking and will never claim to have finished learning. Witchcraft is a way of life!

I don't cast circle or call quarters either. Wiccans have this thing about circles and quarters. I actually had someone tell me years ago that if I didn't cast a circle or call quarters that I was inviting things in that I didn't want. One of the main problems with this is that there is so much work in finding north. There is no way that I'm following what other people say and doing what they do.

I'm a witch, not a Wiccan. I firmly believe in giving people what's coming to them. I practice both white and gray magic and I don't follow the Wiccan rede. What is the point in following something that allows others to walk over you. I agree with Laura Cabot, there is no such thing as a Wiccan and I wish that people would stop calling themselves a Wiccan when their really a witch.

I do, however, have one question. I've been totally ignoring candle colors. I just pick a candle that 'feels' right and use it for my rituals. Can the wrong color affect a spell? Just a question along with the stupid things like planet correspondence, days of the week, and oils that Wiccan seem to think is so important. Are those things important for a modern non-Wiccan witch or can we just throw all that away and follow our guts?

herbal_legends Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post

I do, however, have one question. I've been totally ignoring candle colors. I just pick a candle that 'feels' right and use it for my rituals. Can the wrong color affect a spell? Just a question along with the stupid things like planet correspondence, days of the week, and oils that Wiccan seem to think is so important. Are those things important for a modern non-Wiccan witch or can we just throw all that away and follow our guts?
    Color doesn't matter as much as your intent.
    Color and planet correspondences, days of the week and oils may boost the effect of a spell but are NOT NECESSARY. Use a plain ol' white tea light candle if that's all you have available at the time. I firmly believe that the stronger your emotions/intent towards the issue at hand, the stronger the casting will be. I think planning out things just ruins the effect.

lol Like I really got time to go look for a green candle when I'm feeling a need for some extra cash flow. No I just grab whatever's there and work with it. My athame is a kitchen knife and my wand is a wooden spoon.
    Last edited by herbal_legends; September 25th, 2010 at 12:35 PM.

Another go with the flow witch, like me. I could never understand the importance of all these planet correspondence and days of the week. I do believe in moon phases because that's how my magic flows. However I'll just snap up a candle, no matter if its been used, and do my work. One of the things that I've found that works is doing a small ritual prior to doing the actual ritual.

Like I'm doing my working during the waning phase but before I do that I do a small ritual to tell the Goddess that I'm doing work later on that day. Once the sun is down it's time to do some serious work. Another great thing about not casting a circle is that I don't have to worry about stepping over the line of the circle. It allows me to move around freely and raise some awesome energy.

Nothing bad has happened to me without the circle, which tells me that circle casting is full of nonsense.

One last question and then I'll leave all you wonderful people alone. Do witches have both the God and Goddess on their altar or is that just 'A Wiccan thing.' I had Anubis but then I added Isis.

Like I said I do my own thing, just wondering what all you others have as representations on your altars.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast