Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a non-Wiccan Witch?

I was repeating what Laurie Cabot said. She said that there's no such thing as a Wiccan and that there's no such thing as Wicca. Laurie has been practicing for a very long time and so I respect what she says and I believe what she says.

I'm a witch and not a Wiccan. I don't mind hexing people as long as I know that their guilty, as there's proof presented in a court of law, and I don't mind cursing people. I don't cast a circle because of the fact that my mother comes in and asks me to do things. I also don't cast a circle because I don't feel the energy of the circle.

I also think that casting a circle is a waste of time. I said that if I need to cast a circle I do it mentally but that's once every five years. I'm fine not casting a circle or calling quarters. I don't believe in harming none, I'm a witch that gets things done.

I don't like things turning into a debate because this site is very much against that. I think that if you want to debate this that you should go to the debate section. I'm not going to defend my reasons for what I do, how I cast my magic, or what kind of witchcraft that I do. I like how Laurie Cabot practices and if I was living up in Salem I would join her coven.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    I was repeating what Laurie Cabot said. She said that there's no such thing as a Wiccan and that there's no such thing as Wicca. Laurie has been practicing for a very long time and so I respect what she says and I believe what she says.
    She's also batshit crazy, have you ever actually met her before?
    "The word "natural" is completely meaningless! Everything is natural! Nature includes everything! It's not just trees and flowers! It's everything! A chemical company's toxic waste is completely natural! It's part of the nature! We're all part of nature! Everything is natural! Dog shit is natural! It's just not real good food!" George Carlin

http://www.last.fm/user/kidthorazine/

Drop acid, not bombs.

Add me on facebook! (please mention that you are from MW and include username)

I live in Mass I can meet her anytime I want. The reason that I haven't met her is because I don't have the money to go up there and see her. She was in her store in December when I called about a Athame. Why do you think that she's crazy? She seems sane to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    I live in Mass I can meet her anytime I want. The reason that I haven't met her is because I don't have the money to go up there and see her. She was in her store in December when I called about a Athame. Why do you think that she's crazy? She seems sane to me.
    Well her police record for one... Also she gave off a distinctly crazy vibe both times I met her, her books give me the same vibe.
    "The word "natural" is completely meaningless! Everything is natural! Nature includes everything! It's not just trees and flowers! It's everything! A chemical company's toxic waste is completely natural! It's part of the nature! We're all part of nature! Everything is natural! Dog shit is natural! It's just not real good food!" George Carlin

Drop acid, not bombs.

What exactly did she do to get in trouble with the police. Personally I think that these comments are getting out of context with the thread. I've read her book "Power of the Witch' and I really liked it. I didn't get any bad vibes at all and I think that she has guts to wear her robes in public. She has also done work with children, which got her the title.

she's caused more than a couple of disturbance by acting out in public, she once apparently tried to curse a police officer during a custody dispute, and then when asked about it retreated to the threefold law stuff (which of course you seem to deny believing in.) There's a little blurb about it on her wiki page, I'll see if I can find a more substantial article.

Drop acid, not bombs.

No matter what she's done it still doesn't change the fact that she knows what she's talking about. Can we please return to the topic of the tread.

Wicca checklist:

-Belief in Lord and Lady or gods in general
    -Casting a circle every time you do any spellwork
    -Belief in karma or the three fold law
    -Calling corners or watch towers
    -Celebrating the Sabbats
    -Belief in "an ye harm none, unless in defense"
    -Belief in the Summerlands
    -Assigning directions to elements

To me these are the things that make a Wiccan and if you do or believe in half or more of these, you most likely are a Wiccan. These are all things from different beliefs and practices that have been merged together to form Wicca. Many practices have 3 of these principals, but it's the 4th that pushes you into the Wicca category.

I'm don't know very many non-Wiccan witches...don't know all that many Wiccans for that matter but do know more Wiccans than non-Wiccans.

Whe you say non-Wiccan Witchcraft you are referring to the spellwork, the magickal non-religious aspect of the Craft? Are you referring to pre-Gardenarian cunning man/woman type work which is an amalgam of different, even Christian, sources? Do you still cast circles, call the quarters, celebrate Sabbats and Esbats, etc. such as in Wiccan practice?

I'm sincerely curious because I see this rift between Wiccans and non-Wiccan Witches and was wondering where the differences lie. I always thought that we used largely the same source materials from Gardener, to Valiente, to Leek, to Rankine, the Farrars and Penczak. If it is different from Wicca, what is the source material for Traditional Witchcraft?

Are you practicing Wicca sans the Harm None element? I ask because I know Wiccans who are pretty flexible with that bit of dogma. According to some of what I am reading here, I wouldn't be a Wiccan because I don't feel the Threefold law is an accurate understanding of Karma. Wicca is not a monolithic and heavily dogmatic faith and allows great flexibility. However, if you do everything (regarding praxis) that a Wiccan does but simply don't want to be seen as "fluffy" aren't you just a Wiccan avoiding the term?

I'm not trying to be controversial or insulting (and I apologize before hand for making anyone upset with my questions) however the differences I see between Wiccans and non-Wiccan Witches is less than the differences between Lutherans and Catholics for example, but neither is claiming to be other than Christian. I think the rift between Wiccans and non-Wiccans is nonsense and the source of useless division.

)o( Blessed Be,

Christopher
    Last edited by Sundragon; September 25th, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
    Come visit my blog

Sorcery and Spirit

where I discuss Magick, Mystical Spirituality and whatever else comes to mind.

" Wherever you are is home
    And the earth is paradise
    Wherever you set your feet is holy land . . .
    You don't live off it like a parasite.
    You live in it, and it in you,
    Or you don't survive.
    And that is the only worship of God there is."

- Wilfred Pelletier and Ted Poole

Thanks for your comment Snapdragon. It's so nice to see someone keeping on topic. One of the reasons that I'm not a Wiccan is that it's been hijacked by the Witchlings. Now I'm not insulting teens that actually travel the path but I am talking about those that do Wicca to be cool or it's hip. Also lets add to shock their parents.

I had always assumed, for those that are Wiccan, that it was a serious path. Also I'm not even going to go into the books. If I did I would probably get a headache. Now you know mainly why, aside from ritual and magic, why I'm not a Wiccan but a witch.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast