Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40

Thread: Can you help me identify my crystals?

I'm going to give this a shot, because I work with crystals a great deal. It's hard with photos, and I'm by no means a master of this art, so I suggest using the names I give as keywords and searching for other pictures to make a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Astucity View Post

First I would like to apologize for the worst picture known to man, I really need to get my camera fixed.

1.) Very distinctly yellow with green veins. Not translucent at all.

2.) This one is odd. Half of it is dark red, and half of it is a medium to dark green like it was dipped equally.

3.) Very watermelonish green.

4.) Dark purple, not translucent, with black spots.

5.) The bottom half is a rusty brown, with a light white-ish green top.

6.) Dark green to black with reddish rust cracks through it.

7.) Translucent pretty blue, darker, with those white chunks.

8.) Distinctly milky white with brown veins.

If these can't be identified by this picture I will steal my mother's high def camera tomorrow.

Thank you!
    1) I really haven't a clue, it could be a howlite, which sometimes comes in green, but is often dyed as well.

2) Your camera really butchered that one, but it could be bloodstone, which is a variety of red and green jasper.

3) Almost certain that's malachite. I know that shade. The picture doesn't show the patterning, but it has little swirls and ripples in it right?

4) Sugilite, purple sodalite (unusual) or an oddly patterned iolite. It's really hard to tell, because those dark colors look uniform in the picture, and there are a lot of purple stones.

5) Could be unakite (also a jasper) which has speckles of various greens, reds and oranges, but I've never seen one with a big splotch of pale green like that.

6) I haven't a clue, it's a green rock...

7) Alright the picture looks like hematite, but the description definitely isn't, so I'm lost. Nothing I could guess would be helpful.

If that's not howlite, you really need a new camera. That one photographed alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Baer View Post
    So this is I think my first post :P I got these stones a while ago and I just wanted to see if you all thought what I have is what I think I have, though it doesn't seem mistakable.. When I was looking around the display cases of stones, these two really grabbed my attention so I got them.

This first one I was told is Tourmalinated Citrine. The whole thing is a really pale yellow like around the bottom and center and it has those black lines throughout it. I do have more pictures if needed :D

This second one is Flourite of course and with pyrite specks all over it. My question for this one isn't so much if it is what was said of it, but rather, does pyrite actually come naturally like that on stones or would that had to have been man-made/put on there by someone afterward?

It's nice to meet everyone on here, and I hope to get more involved as time goes on :D :D
    Can't say on the green one, but the top one definitely looks like tourmalinated citrine. It might instead be rutilated citrine, which is a minor distinction. "tourmalinated" means it's shot through with tourmaline, "rutilated" means the same process with anything other than tourmaline, gold is most common. It kinda looks like it has both from the photo. In either case, it's quite valuable, especially since it's not heat treated citrine as far as I can see. May I ask how large it is and what you paid for it?

May you find what you seek,
    Landra
    "Who has traveled farther, he who has journeyed a thousand miles on the circular path left by all those before him, or he who has taken a single step into the wilderness?" -Me

Everything is relative; truth, reality, ethics... Cousins.

Blog

Proprietor: The Dragon and Sphinx and Art of Creation

Priestess of Hecate

Need help with this one:

SAM_0285.jpg

It's a gorgeous blue/green with white waves through it like the ocean. I got it in a mixed tumbled grab bag, and I really love this stone. Definitely drawn to it. I would just like to identify it.

Thanks.

Need help with this one:

SAM_0285.jpg

It's a gorgeous blue/green with white waves through it like the ocean. I got it in a mixed tumbled grab bag, and I really love this stone. Definitely drawn to it. I would just like to identify it.

Thanks.
    moss agate
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Thank you! I have never seen moss agate this vibrant, the picture doesn't do the color justice. I seriously thought it could be something else.

Thank you, again!

That is a beautiful moss agate specimen. I have a large one (I want to say 3-6 pounds) with drusy quartz on it in the center of my garden.

Landra
    "Who has traveled farther, he who has journeyed a thousand miles on the circular path left by all those before him, or he who has taken a single step into the wilderness?" -Me

Blog

Priestess of Hecate

Quote Originally Posted by Landra View Post
    I'm going to give this a shot, because I work with crystals a great deal. It's hard with photos, and I'm by no means a master of this art, so I suggest using the names I give as keywords and searching for other pictures to make a comparison.

1) I really haven't a clue, it could be a howlite, which sometimes comes in green, but is often dyed as well.

2) Your camera really butchered that one, but it could be bloodstone, which is a variety of red and green jasper.

3) Almost certain that's malachite. I know that shade. The picture doesn't show the patterning, but it has little swirls and ripples in it right?

4) Sugilite, purple sodalite (unusual) or an oddly patterned iolite. It's really hard to tell, because those dark colors look uniform in the picture, and there are a lot of purple stones.

5) Could be unakite (also a jasper) which has speckles of various greens, reds and oranges, but I've never seen one with a big splotch of pale green like that.

6) I haven't a clue, it's a green rock...

7) Alright the picture looks like hematite, but the description definitely isn't, so I'm lost. Nothing I could guess would be helpful.

If that's not howlite, you really need a new camera. That one photographed alright.

Can't say on the green one, but the top one definitely looks like tourmalinated citrine. It might instead be rutilated citrine, which is a minor distinction. "tourmalinated" means it's shot through with tourmaline, "rutilated" means the same process with anything other than tourmaline, gold is most common. It kinda looks like it has both from the photo. In either case, it's quite valuable, especially since it's not heat treated citrine as far as I can see. May I ask how large it is and what you paid for it?

Landra
    Could #6 maybe be bloodstone? It's dark green with red bits.
    Our Blog! The Intuitive Unschooler

Freaky Mama to Arlo, Donovan, and Iris! (Homeschooled since birth!)

as well as three cats, six cockatiels, and one parakeet.

It could very well be. If you can get a better picture we might be able to tell you for certain. If it's roughly as hard as the unakite, it's probably bloodstone, which is another form a jasper.

Landra

Blog

Priestess of Hecate

your stones.

Originally Posted by Astucity

First I would like to apologize for the worst picture known to man, I really need to get my camera fixed.

1.) Very distinctly yellow with green veins. Not translucent at all.

2.) This one is odd. Half of it is dark red, and half of it is a medium to dark green like it was dipped equally.

3.) Very watermelonish green.

4.) Dark purple, not translucent, with black spots.

5.) The bottom half is a rusty brown, with a light white-ish green top.

6.) Dark green to black with reddish rust cracks through it.

7.) Translucent pretty blue, darker, with those white chunks.

8.) Distinctly milky white with brown veins.

If these can't be identified by this picture I will steal my mother's high def camera tomorrow.

Thank you!

Number looks more like ocean or picture jasper to me. They are beautiful stones! Some of my favorites!

I think number 1 is actually serpentine. It can come in many varieties of veiny green colors. It usually looks like a light almost lime greenish yellow, and has dark green splotches.

8 is definitely howlite, also known as white magnetite.

3 could be malachite like someone else suggested, but it could also very well be chrysocolla, or amazonite. hard to see in your photo.

the rest, I can't say... Hope this helped!

Blessed be!
    "You know those shows that chronicle drug addicts and show how desperate they get? I'm like that with coffee. I go in with pennies saying, "how much will this get me??" With a desperate look in my eyes. They usually laugh until I start tapping the veins in my arm."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thee I invoke, by the moonlit sea, by the standing stone and the twisted tree. )O(

"If it absolutely, has to be destroyed overnight: US Marines."

Need help with this one:

SAM_0285.jpg

Thanks.

This appears to be Chrysocolla! It is a gorgeous stone, and is associated with the feminine. It is one of my favorites. =)
    "You know those shows that chronicle drug addicts and show how desperate they get? I'm like that with coffee. I go in with pennies saying, "how much will this get me??" With a desperate look in my eyes. They usually laugh until I start tapping the veins in my arm."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thee I invoke, by the moonlit sea, by the standing stone and the twisted tree. )O(

"If it absolutely, has to be destroyed overnight: US Marines."

Quote Originally Posted by thyself View Post
    This appears to be Chrysocolla! It is a gorgeous stone, and is associated with the feminine. It is one of my favorites. =)
    the white in Chrysocolla is more opaque. this white here is more translucent.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40