Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you help me identify my crystals?

Quote Originally Posted by CzechWoods
    # 4 looks like nephrite-jade or a dark aventurine

#5 looks like pink/purple dyed agate, its dye fading away

#2 could be blue aventurine (blue quartz) but also it could be blue calcite: try to scratch it with a clear quartz or amethyst point. is it scratchable?

#1 tree agate or maybe jadeite but i belive tree agate rather

#3 we need the scratch test with clear quartz: and tell us whether it feels like a wet soap or lard/fat ?
    I suspect nephrite-jade as well
    I suspected #4 was jade, but I wasn't sure.

I had thought tree agate was a darker green.

#2 didn't get scratched, #3 did. I guess it feels like wet soap... it doesn't quite feel the same as #4.

I wish I could remember where I got #5- I think that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Zara421
    I suspected #4 was jade, but I wasn't sure.

I had thought tree agate was a darker green.

#2 didn't get scratched, #3 did. I guess it feels like wet soap... it doesn't quite feel the same as #4.

I wish I could remember where I got #5- I think that would help.
    the blue stone should be aventurine blue quartz then - as it is not scrathcable by quartz, at leats thats what i suspect

tzhe green stone feeling like wet soap looking like nephrite jade will be soapstone or maybe serpentine, but my guess would be soapstone from india

I've got a couple of stones and crystals that I can't seem to identify. They were all in my fishtank, my father had collected them over the years from overseas travel in his work. I've got two stones which are egg polished, one that seems as though it is jet, another, which I am not sure of, a small one that at first looked like fool's gold, but is more maroon red than anything else, but is deffinatly a crystal.

Blessed be,
    Vedel
    my.NAME.is.DURIEL.
    <--------------->
    We are the many-born. We are the immortal.
    We have been known by many names throughout the ages,
    though few have understood the truth of our existence.

I have come to believe that the one that I was previously unsure of it's identification may be Black Garnet. When I was meditating upon the stone itself, the name "garnet" immediately came to mind, so I began an online search and now I believe that is what it is. Eventually, when school begins again, I'll take the stones and crystals to my Earth Science teacher and have her examine them if she will. Perhaps that will give me a little more clarification. It is a fairly good sized piece, it is larger than a softball but smaller than an American football. I'll get it weighed and see what you guys come up with.

Blessed be,
    Vedel
    my.NAME.is.DURIEL.
    <--------------->

we want and need (good) pictures of all the stones

and scratch tests

Aye, no digital picture or scanner. Looks like I'm out of luck...

Blessed be,
    Vedel
    my.NAME.is.DURIEL.
    <--------------->

public libraries ? schools ? maybe a company your parents / friends work out ?

sometimes when talking to ppl, they will be willing to help out

just start your request by: Would you help me please, i have this problem ....

Geodes

I have several geodes that have been cut in half 1. blue lace agate 2. celestite 3. I am not sure, looks like celestite except it is gold. 2 and 3 I have both sides. My question is they were not tumbled before they were cut, when I used them they leave a trail of sedament, any idea how I could fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Catherine
    I have several geodes that have been cut in half 1. blue lace agate 2. celestite 3. I am not sure, looks like celestite except it is gold. 2 and 3 I have both sides. My question is they were not tumbled before they were cut, when I used them they leave a trail of sedament, any idea how I could fix this?
    it is not by the tumbling process that the stones gain stability.

in case of the celestite geode, the celestite (a family of stone on its own) is a relatively soft stone, only 2-3 on the moss' scale. the sediment it grows on is from the gypsum family mainly. therefore it is likely to "break away"

you could fix it by using polyresin or alike to stabilize it, but i would not advertize for this method.

some stones are brittle and will leave traces of use. its the way it is. use them cautiosly. know about their sacrifice and use it wisely. thats my advice

is offline We can't stop here! this is BAT country!
    A stone of mine I've been wondering about.

A picture shouldn't be necessary (and it wouldn't photograph well anyway)

It is like labradorite.
    infact.. it would be labradorite.. except for the fact that it is grey. and black.

the... er... pretty flashy bits that catch the light are grey.. light up to a kind of white/silver color.

it's very beautiful

do you get grey labradorite? :

~
    gemytyinepu ~

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast