Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you help me identify my crystals?

Im not sure about lead, but hematite basically is smooth metal. I believe it's metamorphic iron... regardless, it's definitly a form of iron. And it's smooth if it's tumbled... so I guess so.
    Yours, with gusto,
    Windi

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan
    Sometimes, a stone that *looks* kinda like turquoise is actually dyed howlite. I'm not sure how you can tell...
    namaste,

often its rather easy to find out whether its a dyed howlte/magnesite or tourquoise by weight. Turquoise is very light, while magnesite of the same size is more heavy.

with some experience you can also tell it by touching them.

whats harder to tell though is the so called reconstructed tourquoise from stabilized or even natural ones. what is for sure that most of the tourquoise sold is not the naturally grown turquise, nor stabilized, not even reconstructed but artificial.

1. natural turquoise
    is very bristle (sp?), breaks easily, not very well for polishing/cutting
    2. stabilized turquoise
    is natural tourquoise with a little of artificial transparent (non coloured)artificial resin, protecting it from breaking apart. used in most tumbled stones, many rough stones even, better turquise-jewelry
    3. reconstructed turquoise
    is the powder of turquoise and "waste" from the cutting of the stone, mixed with larger quantities of artificial resin (which often containes dye to intensify/alter the colour of the stone). used in most "genuine turquoise" jewelry
    4. so called reconstructed turquoise
    dyed magnsite or howlite, or even pebble. easily distinguable by weight from the real thing
    5. artificial resin products, plastic and other immitations. often only detectable through tests like cutting the stone, burning it etc.

I hope this helps

peace and serenity

Quote Originally Posted by spirit wind
    here is one for you ...

I found this cat at an op shop. It is beautiful, heavy, smooth, light green and has bands of light brown running through it.
    Sorry the pics are so bad but it is night time here and this camera only likes to take pics during the day...
    namaste, spirit wind.

your cat is made of aragonite, calcium-carbonate; which is the younger calcite version. Unfortunatelly, there is a lot of confusion about this stone, because its trade name is "Onyx Marble". The marble part is quite alright; Marble also is a carbonate though mainly its a magnesium carbonate often with other components. But the 'onyx' in the name is misleading. Following the abrevation often used in American English context, most people simply refer to this stone as 'onyx`, but as said before it is a kind of marble.

HOW TO DIFFER
    You can tell by hardness
    the moss hardness of onyx, a quartz from the chalcedony family is 7
    aragonite (your cat) has a hardness of 2,5 - 3.
    onyx (chalcedony) isnt solutable with acid, while aragonite is.

You can also tell by colour.
    Onyx (from the chalcedony family) is dark grey/anthrazit/black, often with white laces
    Sometimes onyx (chalcedony) comes in dark brown. You may also find a variety of onyx, the so called Sardonyx, which in fact is a mixture of Sarder and Onyx; colours are redish-brown,black and white.
    "Onyx-Marble" /Aragonite is green, beige, and brown, either one of the colour or with laces pattern (hence the name). Most carvings from this materialcome from Pakistan and Mexico.

I hope I could make myself clear and did not confuse you, too much. I simply try to dismiss the misconceptions of name-giving when i come across them.

PS: you have one beautiful kitty there, by the colour of the material I d say its from Pakistan

peace and serenity

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesyn
    Turquoise uasually has flecks of pyrite or gold in it, and will change color depending on how often you wear it- the copper will oxidize, i guess- the legends about it say that it's depth of color signified it's wearer's health- darker is better. Howlite dosen't have any pyrite, and when dyed is very, very blue. it is also alot cheaper than turquoise.
    namaste,

i hate to contradict you, windigo but i have to agree with taliesyn; not only lapis has pyrite in them, so does tourquoise. I have some rough stones from arizona, with tiny pyrites in them.
    you can see it on the picture in our online gem stone museum:
    http://de.msnusers.com/czechwoodsgem...setuerkis.msnw

if i am not mistaken, Melody also describes this phenomen.

peace and serenity
    CzechWoods

Quote Originally Posted by MorrigansRaven
    Well, I've got my own mystery of sorts...I think it MIGHT be Truquoise...it has about the same texture, only it is a lot darker than the picture of Turquoise on one of those links. It's polished, and a very pretty blue. Is it just darker Turquoise...or something else?
    namaste MorrigansRaven,

could it be Chrysokolla ?
    Find a picture + info on the stone in our online gem stones museum:
    http://de.msnusers.com/czechwoodsgems/chrysokolla.msnw

peace and serenity

Quote Originally Posted by Karbunkl
    I tried to get my webcam to work so I could take a pic of it, but it decided it just didn't wanna work anymore so I'm gonna try to describe it... It's a tumbled stone I got in a bag of several stones, it's polished, and about the size of my thumb, and it's kind of rectangular in shape, but more rounded. On one end, it's a very deep dark purple, then there's a layer of a lighter purple, then there's a thin, white layer, and after the white layer there's a transparent layer (probably quartz). I was thinking it might be amethyst at first, but it's so much darker than any amethyst I've seen.......any ideas?
    namaste !

i think you are talking about a variety of amethyst, the Chevron Amethyst.

originally this stone was found in Chevron, RSA if i am not mistaken, nece the name. But is found also in other locations. Basically its quartz and amethyst mixed in layers.

Please compare with the second picture from above on the followiung site in our online.gem-stone-museum: http://de.msnusers.com/czechwoodsgems/amethyst.msnw

peace and serenity

Quote Originally Posted by Karbunkl
    Okay thanks you guys, after looking up some pictures on Google I'm fairly sure that it's purple agate. I have about five or six pieces... and if this isn't too off-topic of me to ask... anyone know some magickal properties of purple agate? It'd really help me out..
    namaste again,

purple agate combines the agate capabilies with the 7th chakra.
    it is thus a grounding for the spirituality. for people who are too much living/drifting into fantasy worlds, losing (also spiritualiy) the sense for reality, purple agate would aply.

on the other hand, used on the 1st chakra it connects your life force with the spirituality. although artificially dyed, it can be a very interesting and enriching experience, to experiment with it.

basically the dye makes it more interesting for children, to accept agate (in case you dont like the "boring agates," lol [i myself am an agatomaniac, as you cansee on my banner, the left pic is actually an agate slize, but i have heard people say, its a "usual stone" and not exciting, wheras they all loved the dayed agates, ] )

agate itself is grounding, protecting against evil minded surroundings (esp slisez when placed in the appartment). protects pregnancy, and becoming mothers, dissolving fears etc.

FYI, here are a few pictures of dyed agates. (sorry site takes ages to load)
    http://de.msnusers.com/czechwoodsgem...yedachat2.msnw

peace and serenity

I have a question; I hope this dont sound dumb..I have a necklace of the Pentagram(good of course)..It has been handed down to me from my Grandmother.It is Blessed for protection,it has 5 blue stone shape diamond's in all 5 point's..I wear this necklace,and never take it off..I keep it charged,as i was doing my Rit's the other night(Full Moon)..I noticed that one of the stone's was missing..(East)..I dont know if it's just me or what,but when i am wearing it still...I feel disconected from everything...My spell's dont work as good,having family problem's and much more uninvited guest's (If you know what i mean).I know this sound's weird and all...I have no way of finding out how to have it repaired,replaced or even know what kind of stone's they are..And as far if i did get it fixed,it will never have the full Blessing from Grandma to it..Any idea's on what to do?..Thank you and Blessed Be...
    Today is yesterday,Tomorrow is today.. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

WE ARE SPIRITS IN THE MATERIAL WORLD.- Sting an the Police

Thank you thecharmedones.co.uk for the Banners

8 Years may have come to a end,but the Power of Three shall rise again....Sadly Missed,Thank you for the years..5-21-06 show ended.

Quote Originally Posted by wooleybob
    I have a question; I hope this dont sound dumb..I have a necklace of the Pentagram(good of course)..It has been handed down to me from my Grandmother.It is Blessed for protection,it has 5 blue stone shape diamond's in all 5 point's..I wear this necklace,and never take it off..I keep it charged,as i was doing my Rit's the other night(Full Moon)..I noticed that one of the stone's was missing..(East)..I dont know if it's just me or what,but when i am wearing it still...I feel disconected from everything...My spell's dont work as good,having family problem's and much more uninvited guest's (If you know what i mean).I know this sound's weird and all...I have no way of finding out how to have it repaired,replaced or even know what kind of stone's they are..And as far if i did get it fixed,it will never have the full Blessing from Grandma to it..Any idea's on what to do?..Thank you and Blessed Be...
    try to get a picture of it (unless you feel it would ruin the charm)

in that case get a pic of one of the stones only

easiest way, go to a gem shop or alike, and try to get a fitting stone.

if i know what it is, i can look for something like that.

hmmm, blue you say: opaque, translucent, shining ?
    diamond shape: like brilliant cut ? full brilliant cut ? drop shaped ? not cut ?
    what shade of blue? corn flower ?
    indigo?
    azure)
    etc ... so many questions

if you feel disconected, stop wearing it.
    place it away, do a cleansing for it

say sorry to it, for having it drained so much

pray to your grandma for quidance

thats all i come up witzh right now

Thank You..The stone is like a clear see through,it sparkles and is lite wanna say sky blue?
    Today is yesterday,Tomorrow is today.. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

WE ARE SPIRITS IN THE MATERIAL WORLD.- Sting an the Police

Thank you thecharmedones.co.uk for the Banners

8 Years may have come to a end,but the Power of Three shall rise again....Sadly Missed,Thank you for the years..5-21-06 show ended.

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast