Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ticks!

Ticks!

I live in the woods and have never even seen a tick up here before that I can remember. For some reason though, since it warmed up, I have now found three--and what is worse is they were not full grown I don't think. Two of them, I have actually found crawling on my shirt and the third was under a rug in the living room. I'm so freaked! I keep checking my head and my cat and so far (fingers crossed), I can't find anything.

I can't do a bug bomb for several reasons. I need to know where they are coming from. My house is small and really cluttered because it's small and I have so much stuff. Little by little I have been trying to clean up to see if I can find where they are coming from. But so far, nothing.

Does anyone know about them or have experience with them? I don't know how they breed. Should I be looking for some sort of nest? I should probalby just look it up on the web but I am so freaked right now, I am afraid I will type tick into google and get lots of pictures of them. My nerves can't take it!

I'm feeling really queasy right now too because I got stung by the strangest looking wasp-thingy tonight. It got me twice in my right breast! The doc says one actually looks like a bite and the other a sting but they can't figure out what the insect is that bit me. I'm so glad I managed to get the little bugger into a jar!

Then I come home from the doc and am brushing my teeth to go to bed and there is a tick on my sleeve of my shirt. I can't hardly stand this and am really afraid for my health and the health of my cat.

What should I do?

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

I know there's been some discussions on ticks in the Green room but it's mainly related to pets & tick. I'm not sure if any of it would be useful for you. I'll see what I can find out for you.
    Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege to do so also. - Voltaire

go to a vet and see what you need for the cat. A feed store will
    have all sorts of stuff and ideas for tick control. From seven dust,
    to tick crystals.(thats stuff is for the outside) and safe stuff that
    you can use indoors. Find your nearest Feed store and ask!
    Feed store~ place where you would by feed for cattle, horses and supplies for them critters. If you get bit, keep track of the
    site for a few days. If you get bit on the scalp, you may want to
    see a doctor about it if you are REALLY nervous...
    ~Sweet Merciful Crap!~
    Freyja is my Valentine, sweeter than the sweetest wine.
    my adopted smilies

It is not that which is on the outside, but that witch is on the inside!
    T.L.F. Trey Liberation Front!
    flar7 "The Wrong One"

Here's a site that has good info & no gruesome bug pictures. Just a couple of drawings of the ticks.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2073.html

If you do get bitten by one, here's what it says in one of my aromatherapy first aid books. "Do not pull it out. A cigarette placed on its body will make the tick drop off, or 1 drop of thyme essentail will also do the trick. Then apply 1 drop of neat lavender essential oil every five minutes to a total of ten, to avoid infection and reduce pain and swelling." - taken from Fragrant Pharmacy by Valerie Ann Wormwood.
    Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege to do so also. - Voltaire

um, just in case... you know it doesnt have to be a cigerette. anything
    that hot will do. dont burn yourself!
    ~Sweet Merciful Crap!~
    Freyja is my Valentine, sweeter than the sweetest wine.
    my adopted smilies

It is not that which is on the outside, but that witch is on the inside!
    T.L.F. Trey Liberation Front!
    flar7 "The Wrong One"

My area is having a really bad problem with ticks too. My son and daughter have each had them embedded so far this year. The link Yvonne posted is good. Just a few other things- it takes 24-48 for a tick to be embedded before Lyme's can be passed on. So if you do a daily tick check, like we do, you should catch any before they are on to long. Look most closely in the groin area, back of neck, armpits and ears.You can bring a tick to some health dept's or local hospitals to check if it carries Lyme's.

Also does your cat go outside? They do make frontline for cats. The thing with that stuff, is that it keeps the tick from biting the pet. Your cat can still bring them in from outside.

Avon sells a tick repellent that is safe for kids and adults. DEET free too. I use it on my guys. In fact the day that my daughter had one, it was inside her ear (ick) but it was th eonly place I didn't put the stuff on her!

Good luck, they gross me out too.

Chris

Originally posted by chryssi1
    The link Yvonne posted is good.
    You mean wildchild right? or am I missing a link.

Yup, you're right, Wildchild. I am still getting used to her new avatar. :D

I just realized, I'm going to have to be concerned with ticks when we move.

Oy!

Thanks!

Oh Wow that is a really really great link! My house is about 20 feet from a "weedy roadside." I think, from reading that, that it is possible that they are not actually in my house. I am bringing them in on me.

And I was right about them being youngins. They only have six legs.

My cat doesn't go outside. But just in case I am going to go give her a bath with Skin So Soft and that goes for me too. I think I might even wash my sheets in it. Then I will go and get some sevindust today to put around my house. At least I will feel like I am doing something.

Thanks everyone! :D

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast