Thread: Plamen Oren: As Pagan Novel

Plamen Oren: As Pagan Novel

Plamen Oren: As Pagan Novel

So I’m sure many of you have seen these words plastered in my signature and in various places on the site: “Plamen Oren.” I’m also sure many of you have wondered “what the heck does that mean?” Well since my book section is a little bare (*cough*) I thought I’d finally sit down and explain what this book is about, then you all can discern whether or not it might be worth a read. If you DO NOT want a SINGLE detail spoiled then get the book and don’t read this. I will NOT however post any major spoilers or anything I find critical.

What does “Plamen Oren” mean?

Plamen Oren is the name of the protagonist. Plamen is a name that stems from the Bulgarian word “plam” which means “flame/fire”. Oren is also a first name. It means “pine tree” in Hebrew. I chose this as the title because the book itself is about the personal and spiritual transformation of the protagonist. The book itself is a mixture of pagan, Christian, and Buddhist sensibilities (in the second installment of this book Islamic and Hindu sensibilities will be in the mix as well). In this topic, however, I will go into the pagan aspects of the book. If you’d like to know more about the other aspects please feel free to post a reply.

Did someone say “plot?”

Since I’m not very good at overall summaries (hence the constant flux of the little blurb on the back of the book) I’ll explain the bare-bones plot, the underlining events that are going on in the background of the story that effects the environment of the characters but is not brought on by them.

Plamen’s world is that of ancient earth. He comes from the east to settle in the area where eastern Germany would be (hence the still present Slavic and Germanic influences in the gods and names in the story. There is also some French influence in names and places.) there he meets and gets to know people in the village through Owen Redoak, the village leader. Unbeknownst to Plamen, Owen is up to his eyeballs in diplomatic failure. Two native peoples, the Crosses and the Circles, are about to go to war with religious and cultural pretences. Their true intent, however, is to gain control of Owen’s Village (which is referred to as “crossroads” because it is the main hub of trade in the area) in order to destroy the other.

Another layer of the plot was the recent defeat of “the northern tyrant.” In the book the reader learns that the area was placed under occupation but the peoples of the forest put aside their differences, united, and destroyed the northern tyrant’s hold on the area.

Ok if that’s just backdrop…

I personally feel that development of character and their relationships with other characters in the story is far more important than “plot”. If you tell a story by showing the changed in character and their relationship then you end up with a far richer story than if the plot dominated. The key really is to have a good balance between the two.

Ok get to the pagan already!

Owen’s village is a place steeped in ceremony and reverence for the gods. The harvest is their biggest celebration and includes the children’s ceremony. Each child is given a patron god or goddess to watch over them and give their parents something to pray to when their child falls ill. Several gods were taken from Celtic mythology including Lugh (a sun god), Luxovios (Gaulic ocean god), and Sirona ( a goddess of natural springs). The adults of the village dress as their children’s patron god or goddess during the ceremony. Alrick, Owen’s nephew, is smitten with Plamen so he demands that Plamen dress as his patron god Lugh.

Magic does exist in this world but it is fading fast. One of our more mysterious figures, Mabel Midowl, is a sensual being with great magical power yet she is one of the few seen in the world so teeming with gods, goddesses, and spirits. Magical races that are mentioned include: Fey, Grand-fey, Elves, fairies, pixies, and elemental spirits. Plamen himself is a spirit though no one knows what kind (until the end, but I shall not spoil it for you!). Other key events occur with the subject of fading of magic involved, but I won’t go into it

And so…

That concludes my little introduction to some of the elements in the novel. I do hope you’ll pick up a copy, I mean the download is only a dollar for Pete’s sake If you have any questions please ask and I do encourage discussion so please discuss!

Lots of love,

Christina Prince

Viva la Seraphim!
    Christina Prince
    Member of F.E.A.T.H.E.R.S.
    Membership and hearts are always open!
    Check out the creative writing class!

It sounds good and something I'd really like to read.

If you wouldn't mind, what are the Buddhist, Christian, Hindu and Islamic parts of the series going to be?.

Also, will this be a book available in England?.

Anyway, sounds really good, I'll definantly try and get a copy .

Hello David!

I'm very happy you posted and I'd be happy to tell you about the other influences. Actually the book is available online internationally, the link was posted in the other topic. Its 11.99 US which would make it only half that for you brits aside from icky shipping. Also you can download the book for 50 pence! If you're tight for money and don't want to wait for mail.

Anyway on to the other influences. As i mentioned the Islamic and Hindu influences aren't really prevolent in the first book, they'll come in in book two (which I've already started, don't worry ) I tried to make a mix of peoples in the first book but its pretty much white races with a random asian thrown in (poor Plamen, those rowdy Germans! ) but in book two its a virtual stu of peoples. The three leads in the story are Arian, Turkish, and Eygiptian.

Buddist Influence

The buddist influence rests with the characters of Soto and Plamen. Plamen himself is not human but he was raised in asia. his adoptive brothers Soto and Kenji represent two philosophies of life. Kenji is more the secular one, who wants money, women, and power. Soto, though married, would make a the model monk. When something terrible, life shattering, happens to Plamen in his early adulthood Soto is always there to pick up the peices with words of pasifism and kindness. Soto is described as "chubby" in his scene going to the chinese image of Buddah as being big and at peace with his unattractiveness.

Also Plamen's moment of self-realization happens in a meditiative stance beneith a tree (an homage to the story of buddah himself) Plamen's philosophy on death is a mixture of buddist and pagan ideas. Plamen explains to Alrick, who views Plamen as a big brother figure, the process of death to the physical body. (He does not go into what happens to the person, just the body) Plamen explains that he does not know where we go when we die but our bodies become stones. He also explains that spirits, Plamen's kind, while having an ageless body has no immortal spirit. There is more to this but it would spoil things.

Christian Influences

The christian influences are tricky becuase angels are in many religions but the speficific kind I used, however, may be exclusive to Judism/Christianity. The Crosses are essentially the christian tribe. They have one chief goddess, Arissa the Gaurdian Cross, and act like many haughty christians might. That being said, thier rivals, the Circles (pagan) are the worst pagans ever. I wanted to show the bad side of both religions but show how good both are in Owen's Village. Arissa herself like Christianity itself is very important but the people who imploy it tend to use them to harm others. The Circle's central goddess (who will remain nameless) is the same.

Viva la Seraphim!
    Christina Prince
    Member of F.E.A.T.H.E.R.S.
    Membership and hearts are always open!
    Check out the creative writing class!