Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A-1 "Mirage"

Yes, we have Midnight Oil and Chisel. Fear us. >:D

I love a strange mix of ska, rock, alt rock, britpop, dance, hip-hop and industrial, a lot of it from the 80s because the music was better back then.

OMG I agree, I'm listening to New Order at the moment. I wish I had like a dance mix of all thier popular stuff like "Blue Money" and "you spin me" and "bizzare love triange" xD

Viva la Seraphim!
    Christina Prince
    Member of F.E.A.T.H.E.R.S.
    Membership and hearts are always open!
    Check out the creative writing class!

I have a suggestion, but it might just be a personal thing that I have, I really hate when people say things like "I was listening to Black Sabbath/ABBA/Dead Can Dance/Tchaikovsky." Because that really means nothing to me. I don't listen to Black Sabbath. Don't say that is what you are listening to, let me know what you are listening to through your descriptions.
    I'll put a spell on you;
    You'll fall asleep, and I'll put a spell on you.
    And when I wake you, I'll be the first thing you see,
    And you'll realize that you love me.
    Aqualung (Strange & Beautiful)

I don't really listen to Sabbath either, it's more my brother, but I get what you mean.

What I was trying to do was contrast what he was doing with the sword, which is almost quiet gentle meditation, with the kind of music he loves. I probably didn't need to mention any specific band, because summing any single person up regarding their music tastes with only one band is impossible, but I wasn't trying to reveal everything about him. It was just what he happened to be listening to at the time, that's all.

But I don't know. The kind of music people listen to says a lot about them to me, so I often feel it's important to mention from time to time. I didn't know people got irritated by that, so I thank you for pointing it out to me. I'll take your words into consideration for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisXavier View Post
    I don't really listen to Sabbath either, it's more my brother, but I get what you mean.

What I was trying to do was contrast what he was doing with the sword, which is almost quiet gentle meditation, with the kind of music he loves. I probably didn't need to mention any specific band, because summing any single person up regarding their music tastes with only one band is impossible, but I wasn't trying to reveal everything about him. It was just what he happened to be listening to at the time, that's all.

But I don't know. The kind of music people listen to says a lot about them to me, so I often feel it's important to mention from time to time. I didn't know people got irritated by that, so I thank you for pointing it out to me. I'll take your words into consideration for next time.
    I didn't mean to say that the music doesn't matter, just that I have no idea what Black Sabbath sounds like, so even saying it as an example means nothing to me. To contrast the sound with the 'meditation,' I'd have to know that the band was death metal, or whatever it is, but I don't, that's just a guess on my part. Your use of that type of music is lost on me because you assumed something about the reader (ie that we know what Black Sabbath sounds like).
    I'll put a spell on you;

I should mention that this is actually a subject of literary argument. I was taught that saying things like "blackSabbath" was a very good thing actually becuase you have to admit even if you don't know what they sound like you can make assumptions about them becuase of the name.

But simba's argument is the other side of the coin and determining which side you agree with is up to the author. Isn't this writing thing annoying at times?

Viva la Seraphim!
    Christina Prince
    Member of F.E.A.T.H.E.R.S.
    Membership and hearts are always open!
    Check out the creative writing class!

It's wonderfully fascinating and downright frustrating at times when writers and authors can't agree on these sort of things. I had no idea it was even an issue until simba brought it up.

To me, music is such an integral part of life I can't not mention what or who I'm listening to or being inspired by, and this filters into my writing. But I can understand where simba's coming from. I'll try and keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsumoto View Post
    I should mention that this is actually a subject of literary argument. I was taught that saying things like "blackSabbath" was a very good thing actually becuase you have to admit even if you don't know what they sound like you can make assumptions about them becuase of the name.

But simba's argument is the other side of the coin and determining which side you agree with is up to the author. Isn't this writing thing annoying at times?

Oh I agree here, Black Sabbath, hmmm, we know it is not Show Tunes! I have read a few books that have actually inspired me to look up a genre, or person, or place. I like for new things that make me think in a story. I of course know Black Sabbath, (old lady here) but if it were say ABBA, and a character I really liked was into ABBA, it may inspire me to check them out. Who wants to know everything, that is boring.

One could add some description to Black Sabbath; " I was listing to the surreal 70;s tones of Black Sabbath while Ozzy's unique voice reminded me how Lucifer wanted me to take his hand........blah blah blah" I think, I am just prosing here.
    La Befana

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.--Albert Einstein

Baron La Samedi` Papa Legba

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Canolli View Post
    One could add some description to Black Sabbath; " I was listing to the surreal 70;s tones of Black Sabbath while Ozzy's unique voice reminded me how Lucifer wanted me to take his hand........blah blah blah" I think, I am just prosing here.
    That's really what I was saying, more so than just leaving it out. If you're going to mention Black Sabbath, then tell me what the heck Black Sabbath sounds like... this would especially important, if the name weren't quite so well.. darkish. I'd still like some description of it though. I'm not going to look up a band simply because you mentioned it in your book, especially if you don't tell me anything about it.
    I'll put a spell on you;

Hmm. Perhaps I should've amplified the distinction between them better. I did pretty much write in in about 20 minutes straight out without editing. I can see now why that added description might be necessary.

See, this class is already teaching me things. :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast