Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Summer solstice

Well, with the time of year, i felt it appropriate to bump this thread. What has anyone here (esp. witchy-type Christians) done this year--or will do--to observe or celebrate this solstice? Myself, i danced at a drum circle, and also did a little ritual at my altar at home.
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

I don't do a lot for most sabbats other than lighting candles and saying prayers... So that's what I did this past Litha. Not a lot, just enough to wish everyone a very prosperous summer.
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

Christian Witches and the Summer Solstice

What is everyone planning for the Solstice? I am intrigued by Nancy Chandler Pittman's associations of this Sabbat with the sacrament of Baptism. Any ideas for celebration?
    (I cannot remember if there is another thread on this in the forums. Apologies for the double post if so!)
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

*INFORMATION/FORUM GUIDE MODE*

Merging with other thread about Summer Solistice celebrations.

Back to the topic... *wink*

It's the same as always for me... Candles and prayers after the guys crash for the night.

It's opposite the Nativity/Yule so it would represent the formative years of Jesus' life, unspoken of in the official Bible. According to legend, the "lost years" were spent traveling the world and learning about the faiths of other peoples. This is why when he began preaching, he was known for associating with gentiles and foreigners. His travels supposedly included the British Isles, where he was welcomed by the Celtic tribes and traded wisdom with the Druids.

The central Mystery of the Solstice is the Battle of the Oak and Holly Kings, and like any Mystery, it works on many levels. One aspect is in the historical conflict between Paganism and Christianity. The Oak King is the old pagan system of Europe, from the Romans to the Druids. Holly is the upstart new Christianity. They begin in conflict. Holly wants Oak's power and position, Oak seeks to destroy this young interloper, so a deadly battle is joined. Holly has youth and strength while Oak has power and experience, and the fight is evenly matched. Oak quickly realizes that if they continue to fight, they will destroy each other, and while Holly doesn't have His wisdom yet, it will come in time. So He deliberately chooses to throw the fight, sacrificing Himself on Holly's sword. Holly revels in His victory, but a kernel of doubt remains. He knows Oak lost on purpose, but doesn't know why. Christianity will dominate Europe for centuries, but the memory of European paganism will forever color what was once just a minor Jewish cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloaked Raven View Post
    *INFORMATION/FORUM GUIDE MODE*

Merging with other thread about Summer Solistice celebrations.
    Oops! Sorry about that! Anyway, I was thinking of incorporating this Syrian chant for part of my celebrations.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

That's okay HerbGurl.

I need to de-ant my yard before then, also de-weed it. And then we may have a BBQ or go to the beach that day. It's summer solstice so we'll do something fun!

Rhiannon Paille
    If I were a food, I'd be a chinese buffet.
    Author of Integrated Intuition
    www.rhiannonpaille.com
    http://rhiannonpaille.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerbGurl View Post
    Oops! Sorry about that! Anyway, I was thinking of incorporating this Syrian chant for part of my celebrations.
    thanks for that link! it may be useful. i will probably be incorporating singing into my ritual this year, since i enjoy singing. i may also visit a place nearby where 2 rivers meet.
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast