Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't Stop Astral Projecting/Having OBEs

Can't Stop Astral Projecting/Having OBEs

My mom and I seem to have a natural talent for astral projection. We used to do it together (accidentally), and she discovered it in her 20s, having no idea what it was or what was happening to her. I learned about it at age 13 and actually attempted it, with success on my first try.

Since then, I CANNOT STOP. It doesn't happen as often anymore, but sometimes I just WANT TO SLEEP. I experience sleep paralysis, hear the I'm-about-to-leave-my-body loudness and start fighting to stay in my body.

Astral projection started to scare me when mom and I started being pulled from our bodies when we didn't want to be. I asked her one day, "If we're not doing it, who is? And who on earth would want us out of our bodies so badly and why?" At the time, it scared me that maybe someone scary was waiting for me on the other side. Now I just wonder if something wants to take over my body or something.

Point is, it scares me when I can't control it. If I could do it when I wanted to, great. But it happens when I'm really tired and just want to sleep. So I have a few questions.

a.) Why is this happening to me and why did it happen to my mom?
    b.) How do I stop it from happening? Sometimes I have to fight ALL NIGHT and signal my husband to wake me by wiggling my fingers or trying to breathe erratically.
    c.) Do you think it's possible to visit dead loved ones via astral travel?
    d.) I know it was happening before she died, but is there a chance my mom's trying to make me do this to visit her?
    Last edited by IrishDancer; June 29th, 2007 at 09:46 AM.

youve been under alot of stress ID, you might not actually be astral traveling when you sleep, but you could be having VERY vidid dreams caused by the stress. when im stressed, i have a very hard time telling the difference between reality and the dream state because they are both identical and ill feel like i havent slept in weeks. try astral traveling while youre awake and then compare the differences between the two. youre consious mind may not be shutting down properly when your subconsious mind should be in control (as in sleeping) and that could be causing your problems.

Well, I might agree with you because I have been having lots of nightmares about mom -- but with the astral travel thing, I'm not actually going anywhere. Like there aren't any vivid dreams going on. I've been fighting it off, which is always exhausting to do. Also, this isn't a new thing since the stress. This has been happening for yeaaars. It just so happens I really need sleep now, so I'm really fed up and want it to stop!

The other night, I woke my husband up because my hand was on his shoulder, and I fought the paralysis enough to wiggle my fingers a lot and wake him up. He thought I was having a nightmare and woke me. I told him what was happening and that I couldn't stop, and even AS I WAS TELLING HIM, it was happening! I was being pulled from my body and I couldn't stop it. I've never had it happen to the point where even waking myself up and talking won't stop it.

Does this change your opinion at all?

it does bring on an interesting point. ive never met anyone that does it unwillingly though. its hard enough for some people who've studied and practiced AT/AP to get it down. have you been meditating and/or thinking alot before you go to bed? that might be automatically triggering it to happen if you do.

if you dont have a TV in your room, you might get one, put it on the science channel or cartoon network and try watching that for a while before you fall asleep. you might need to bore your consious mind to tears and watching stuff like that helps me take my mind off of reality and helps me sleep. (well, unless the kitters are climbing all over me!)

I guess I do always think a lot before I sleep, and I know my mom did too. I don't meditate, but I think when I pray before I sleep, it's like a deep meditation. When I pray, I feel really dizzy and like I'm sinking as I slowly spin. Does that ever happen when you meditate?

For some reason, astral travel's never been a problem for me or my mom. She did it accidentally and I never knew that anyone had to work on it until I was much older. Maybe that's why it was easy for me. I was 13 and didn't know any better, but then it was like that first time unlocked something for me.

The weird thing is, when I do astral travel, I can just think "oh hey, I want to be back in my body" or if I get scared, I'll just pop right back in. So you'd think if I'm screaming in my head, "NO, I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS" and if I'm struggling to move my toes and "wake up," I'd stay in my body and wouldn't have to fight so much. This is 100%, completely against my will. That's what freaks me out about it. God gave me free will, so WHAT is doing this to me?

I'll try your TV idea and see if it works. That often helps me sleep when I'm thinking too much.

you also might try praying a couple hours before you go to bed and make sure your body is not relaxed while doing so. im sure God will understand and wont hold it against ya.

another option, before you go to bed, focus on finding the door from your mind that leads you to the astral realm and focus on "picking up the key" that unlocks and opens the door. tell yourself over and over before you fall asleep....

"i have control, i will take the key, i will unlock the door and enter when i want to enter, i have control."

then while youre holding the key, shut and lock the door and put the key into your pocket. and always remember where you keep the key for when you want to astral travel so you can open and close the door at will.

give that a try, its worth a shot.

That's a great idea! I'll try that visualization every night for a little while.

I would cleanse the house, especially the bedroom. I wold also wear an amulet to bed. Taking those steps might subconsciously make you feel safer and not worry that AP is going to happen.
    Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

I, personally, would light candles, pray, and make an offering of cool water. I don't know that this would resonate with your personal path, but if you can translate it into something that does, I do hope it helps. I would also write out a prayer or something on an index card and draw a meaningful symbol on it above and/or below the prayer. Under my pillow I have a prayer to the Set-animal to turn evil away, with a picture of the Set animal above the words and an udjat below them. Writing a Hail Mary, or a prayer to a saint associated with sleeping if you venerate the saints might be equivalent.

As for your questions...
    a.) It might just be a tendency your mom and you have. I find it improbable that anyone would astral project independent of their own will, but I suppose it's possible if it's happening to you... there's got to be a reason.

b.) Well, I already answered that above.

c.) Yes and no. I think there's a middle meeting ground where you could meet up, but I'm not sure that you can travel to the dead-place, being alive.

d.) Only you can know that.
    Sobeqsenu
    Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut
    { Bast & Nut & Khonsu }

Rudas, so far your idea (the visualization and TV)'s been working. Then again, I tend to go through spurts where I astral project and fight with it every night, and then sometimes it won't happen for a couple months. I'll definitely keep you updated!

I also wondered the other day if it might happen when I'm very tired. If I'm way overtired and have been up for ages, I get kind of hyper when I'm beyond sleepy, then I decide to go to bed because my body feels tired, and I think my body may go to sleep but my brain may stay awake.

Anyway, so far, so good. Also, great ideas from Autumnglow and Sobeq! As far as an amulet, I can't do that religiously, but cleansing in the form of praying and maybe some holy water would probably work. Do you think another entity might be trying to get me to do this? That's what I kind of sense, and that it isn't God, but I hear that's a common occurrence in the sleep paralysis state. Then again, that doesn't mean it's not really happening to those people.

And yes, Sobeq. Not sure why offering cool water would help, but maybe the holy water idea? Or offering something to God? Christians don't really make offerings to God anymore, but a month or two ago, I was eating honey dew and had the perfect, most juicy bite, and I decided to give it to God. It was gone a couple days later! I watched it wither, and it smelled great. But it withered into nothing! So maybe did you mean offering God some water? If it's to appease the spirit that may be doing this to me, I'd rather not (personal path thing you mentioned ). But I remember when this was happening when I was around 14 or 15 (mom and I also had spirits knocking us out of bed and opening our doors, among other things), she blessed the rooms with holy water. That night, the "thing" got more violent, but then it went away. That might be a good idea. What do you think is happening?

Thank you for answering my questions!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast