Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece of Advice?

Just because something works for you, does not mean it is right for another.

Stop talking and listen - that doesn't mean to say that you shouldn't stand by your opinions, but remember to be willing to listen to different ones.

EDIT: Oh, and remember - all faiths are valid. Including Christianity. No, really.
    Last edited by Glory; July 4th, 2007 at 10:12 AM.

Don't believe everything you read.

The gods speak through everyone, so shut up and listen.

Mine is:

Don't think. Feel.
    Don't accept everything. Question it.
    Don't make yourself a greater beeing just because you are a pagan. The world has already lots of fluffy bunnies.

... oh and Good Luck!
    «The myth is the Nothing which is everything» - Fernando Pessoa

If something or someone doesn't seem "right," listen to your gut instinct/intuition. Like with meditation, I only do so much because I fear astrally projecting myself and not being able to return to this place. I don't do spells, but in general, make sure you know the basics and understand it and what magic is and what magic means to you first. Also, be careful (especially while new and still developing) about who you trust with doing metaphysical things with. Their motives may not always be good. Most people are good, but there are enough who are bad out there that you need to watch out. Also, know how to ground and shield anf focus yourself.

As far as overall spirituality goes, for me, its more about what it means for you. People around you may always do formal rituals on the esbats and the sabbats, but you may just meditate or say a prayer. There's nothing wrong with being different. Just because someone you talk to only deals with the Greek or Egyptian pantheon, that does not mean you won't relate better to Celtic or just pantheism in general. What works for you may not work for them.

is offline Don't call down the Thunder
    Reading does not a pagan make--doing is what makes a pagan. Put down the books-get off the arse and go DO a ritual, go DO a Sabbat. Go outside, sit still and LISTEN-the God/desses will talk to you.

I guess the best way to sum it up is Experience is NOT reading. Experience is Doing.

Ohhh--Don't raise anything you can't put down.

Also -- read my signature line about the Mysteries.

Elise
    *~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Resident Beotch

It seems some folks confuse "secrets" with Mysteries.
    The Mysteries aren't secret.
    They are there for whoever wishes to seek them out.
    There just aren't any shortcuts.

That's the Secret.

Don't ask Life to polish you into a jewel and then complain about all the rough treatment!

If you're talking shit behind my back - then you're close enough to kiss my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolair View Post
    read Bonewit's Cult Danger Evaluation Frame - you won't believe how many covens match the warning signs. Be safe and don't let anyone push you around or into anything you're uncomfortable with.
    I can't decide on just one piece of advice.

I like 'don't do things you don't want to' and I think Bonewits' puts it really well.

I like 'study, question. and experience' as well, though.

I particularly like the 'there are no shortcuts' but it's not really a piece of advice a newbie can act on.

Oh well, my religion deals in triads. So this can be the triad of advice:

How to start?
    Easily answered:
    act rightly
    study thoughtfully
    and
    wait for inspiration.
    *I am a mystic and work through Imbas rather than re-constructive archeology. Lore, history, and research are vital tools and permit us to validate and amplify communications we recieve. Disagreement and referencing of materials are also welcome benchmarks. What I say is not the 'Truth' but only my perception/opinion/belief and I am happy to give the same consideration to everyone else's point of view.*

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

"everyone [is] entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." Stephen Colbert

There is a line in which spirituality or the study of the Occult is called escapism. Know where that line is.

Don't learn magick to avoid hard work. Learning magick is hard work.

---------------------------------
    Rye Wolf Farm
    Our homestead blog--come visit!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast