Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: One Piece of Advice?

is offline Catholic Pagan... but I repeat myself!
    Don't stress about "finding your path". You are already on your path; you have been since birth and you will be until death. Instead, focus on learning what your path means to you and to the universe, and start amassing knowledge and experience.

Just because you find out an acquaintance is also following a pagan path, this does NOT mean you should immediately make them your best friend and tell them all your secrets/write partner rituals/plan you handfasting. Not everyone comes to a pagan path with the best of intentions, and others are simply confused or rebellious. You could find yourself in a dangerous situation very quickly. Learn about them, determine their motives and their morals, and take time before you let them into your world. (Also, beware of the person who finds out YOU are a pagan and does these things. An immediately clingy relationship is unhealthy, and can become obsessive and dangerous in the blink of an eye, especially if you try to leave.)

Don't get discouraged because you are not a High Priestess or Grand Master after 3 months. Rick and Elise are absolutely right when they say, "There are no shortcuts". Learn, practice, DO, and, in time, that which comes will come. In a world of immediate gratification, this can be the hardest lesson.

If all else fails, see the top quote of my signature.
    Know thyself - and thou shall know all the mysteries of the Gods and of the universe.

The path of the Mystic is entirely incompatible with the path of the True Believer. The Believer accepts a thing as Truth, and is content. The Believer seeks only Comfort and Certainty. The Mystic deals in Beautiful Lies and Harsh Reality in the search for Truth. In a Mystic's path, there is no Contentment, little Comfort. Certainty is a joke to the Mystic. The Mystic can never be a Believer, because the Mystic must Know.

Twirling round with this familiar parable. Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
    Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing.

is offline 1 part witch, 3 parts fabulous
    Since many have already given the advice that first jumped to mind (and rightly so), I'll say this:

If you are going to read (and we all know you are), don't just confine yourself to the Magic/Occult section of the bookstore. Branch out and explore the wider world, especially history, art, poetry, philosophy, psychology, sexuality, and the most important...humor! Learn to love bibliographies!

And I recently read this somewhere: Magic is on the out-breath.

In religious practice, as in interior decorating, there is a line
    between the beautiful and the ridiculous. -Dianne Sylvan, The Circle Within

My one piece of advice: Don't be afraid to look someone in the eye and tell them that they are full of crap.

Don't feel like you need to have anyone's approval to be yourself.

Follow your heart because you feel a calling, a special connection to your path and not to rebel or be different. Don't look for a path, the path has already found you, definitions come after action, do and be, then you'll know. Don't take everything as gospel, research, cite your sources, look for scholarly work, be intelligent and informed; your path and god/s deserve that respect.

Last but not least, don't worry about what people will say or think of you, humans will always find a reason to break each other down. Be proud and strong in your faith, and that means being dedicated and educated, not wearing crystals or pentacles (though that can be nice sometimes too).

That's all.

Believe whole heartedly but with a cynical eye.

Don't be hidebound, change is life, but remember change without thought is destruction.

We who serve the gods serve only willingly, there is no such thing as coincidence but everything else is our own.
    Who are we? We are your fears. We are your pain. We are darkness and profane. We kill your hopes. We haunt your dreams. In the night we cause your screams.

Don't worry about the wrong or right way to do anything. With Pagan gods, you don't mess up, and you get points just for trying.
    Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Don't dive right in and find a label that sorta-kinda-fits what you believe right away.
    It'll just be wrong.
    Take your time.

Religious blog

Sir, I believe Mandoon is dry humping the pagan.
    Know the difference between historical accuracy and personal gnosis. As long as you're not scared to admit that something only works for you, you'll be fine.
    ~NITEFALLE~
    Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
    Always in search of, and one step in back of,
    Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
    ~Willie Nelson~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always Wear Sunscreen.

My advice? Do your own research.

Even if someone else's research is technically accurate, there is more learning in the work it takes to research and digest and coalesce knowledge than to open one's mouth and be spoonfed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast